Allpar Forums banner

2017 Jeep Renegade

746 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Ernesto
Have a 2017 Jeep Renegade with 73,000 miles. Pulled out of driveway and the transmission service light, check engine, service e brake light came on and the car stopped moving. Put into park and then back to drive, heard a clunk and the car no longer moved while into gear. I was able to put the car into reverse and reverse the car back into my driveway. A slight burnt smell existed. Anyhelp is appreciated. This is the third issue with the vehicle. Replaced two wheel bearings already and random repairs. The car is in great condition, garage kept and driven gently. Frustrated and not sure the next step.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
It could be that the parking brake is locked on. That would be the simplest fix, hopefully. Other than that, it does sound like a transmission issue.

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,316 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. An OBDII code reader may be able to give you the reason for the 'Ck Eng' & 'Service Transaxle' lights.
The parking brake is electric and may be related to the Powertrain code(s)?

Was the burnt smell like oil or plastic? If you can locate where the smell originated, you may be on to the culprit. Was the odor outside the car, like under the hood?

Engine compartment grounds on a 6 year-old vehicle in the salt belt can corrode. I'm not too concerned with instrument panel/interior grounds as they are mostly shielded against the weather.
Battery terminals clean? They can look good from the outside, but corrosion may be hidden between the post & terminal? It is best to remove them completely & wire brush the contact areas.
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car Tire
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

· Registered
413 Posts
Chrysler replaced oil guzzling 2.4 engine 701 miles ago on wife's 2017 Renegade. At first, I couldn't even see the oil on the brand new shiney dipstick. Now oil has enough color to see oil is about 3 to 4 mm down from top of safe zone while setting cold on garage floor. Has anyone had the 2.4 oil guzzler replaced with another oil guzzler?

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,316 Posts
700 miles may be too early to do an oil consumption evaluation. Give it about 4000 miles or so before trying to determine oil consumption. As long as it isn't leaking it, it is burning it.
Engines will normally use some oil during break-in. It isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Font Screenshot Document Number

· Registered
413 Posts
Thanks very much for your input, ImperialCrown. Since my first brand new 1967 Plymouth Belvidere 2 door hardtop, Chrysler has always fixed any of the handful of problems I've had. This has been my most serious.

First factory recall barely survied. Second oil consumption test at my request showed about 946 mL burned at 1000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts