Allpar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found parts from a wrecked 2018 Durango SRT and swapped the new style shifter (looks suspiciously like the one from the 2015 Challenger I had) into my 2016 Durango R/T. Since the R/T has the two speed transfer case, I had to do a little wiring fabrication to use bot the new shifter and the AWD switch.

I can't take credit for the idea. A poster on Facebook did it before I tried.

Attachments

Reactions: chuzz and UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone interested in making this swap, here are the key details:
1) The manual mode (pushing shifter to the left and shifting up/down) does not work. I get a "shifter error" in the display when I try.
2) You need the shifter, the upper plate where the shifter mounts in the console, and the lower bracket for the console. It needs to include the wiring. You can see the parts I bought below, though the console wiring was included and not shown below.
3) If you have an AWD Durango with the transfer case, you either need the console wiring from a similar 2018 or, if you use a console without the AWD switch, you'll need to patch wires and swap i n your transfer case switch in place of the cubby hole. My donor console was from an SRT and my Durango was an R/T with the transfer case switch so I had to splice the connector for the new shifter onto my old console wiring harness. The wire colors are the same.
4) You have to remove the complete console, armrest and all, from the vehicle. It's a bit of surgery to get it all out. Lot's of parts make up the console.
5) I paid a little over $350 for the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
That's cool!

Too bad about the manual mode, but do you have the steering wheel paddles, and do they still work?

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Or ...

Trot on down to your friendly CPD dealer, and order the shifter assembly for the 2018 Durango Pursuit.

No fuss, no muss. Plug 'er in, and go out and embarrass the [person who likes a particular brand]s.

;)

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or ...

Trot on down to your friendly CPD dealer, and order the shifter assembly for the 2018 Durango Pursuit.

No fuss, no muss. Plug 'er in, and go out and embarrass the [person who likes a particular brand]s.

;)
Still requires the console swap. The parts are quite expensive new.
The console plate, bezel, and wiring must all be swapped to use the T-handle shifter assembly. New the parts cost around $1000.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone who wonders why the use the dial - here's the reason.
MSRP of new dial shifter for 2017 Dodge Durango: $139.
MSRP of "traditional" shifter for 2018 Dodge Durango: $235.
Each vehicle that used the dial cut $100 (probably more like $80 at cost) out of the vehicle cost.
In a purchasing world where pennies sometimes rule in cutting costs, $80 in cost cutting is a huge deal.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
7,099 Posts
For anyone who wonders why the use the dial - here's the reason.
MSRP of new dial shifter for 2017 Dodge Durango: $139.
MSRP of "traditional" shifter for 2018 Dodge Durango: $235.
Each vehicle that used the dial cut $100 (probably more like $80 at cost) out of the vehicle cost.
In a purchasing world where pennies sometimes rule in cutting costs, $80 in cost cutting is a huge deal.
Millions of dollars saved from these shifters over the course of production for the refreshed Durango. That's pretty crazy for such a minor change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I found parts from a wrecked 2018 Durango SRT and swapped the new style shifter (looks suspiciously like the one from the 2015 Challenger I had) into my 2016 Durango R/T. Since the R/T has the two speed transfer case, I had to do a little wiring fabrication to use bot the new shifter and the AWD switch.

Hey good afternoon happy Father’s Day just wondering I have a 2016 Durango RT AWD with the bullpoopies knob shifter and I would love to do the swap to a T-shifter would it work for me if so what parts would I need

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey good afternoon happy Father’s Day just wondering I have a 2016 Durango RT AWD with the bullpoopies knob shifter and I would love to do the swap to a T-shifter would it work for me if so what parts would I need
It’s been three years, so my memory was a little rusty. But basically you have to replace everything I showed in post #2. All the bracing under the console is different. The wiring is different too. Try to make sure the donor also has the same transfer case type as yours or you’ll have to splice wires as I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s been three years, so my memory was a little rusty. But basically you have to replace everything I showed in post #2. All the bracing under the console is different. The wiring is different too. Try to make sure the donor also has the same transfer case type as yours or you’ll have to splice wires as I did.
So basically it has to be same as mine full time AWD and have the T-shifter
Do u think a junk yard might have it or should I just go to the dealership

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New parts will be ridiculously expensive. Find a junkyard dealing in late model salvage. I paid $350 back then, new parts were well over $1k back then.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello, I was wondering what parts you had to change to have the new gear shift and and the process and total cost?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts