Allpar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uh oh... is this going to be something FCA will have to look into and lead to bad press? Thankfully the soldier wasn't hurt. Read the article below.

New Cherokee Erupts Into Flames

"SSG Joseph Lewis said he was driving on the base about 10:20 p.m. Saturday night when he started having car troubles in his new 2018 Jeep Cherokee.

Lewis said he first noticed that the electronics on his dashboard were not working properly. The Jeep then stalled out and would not start up again.

After trying to restart the vehicle, Lewis said he noticed a flame between the windshield and the hood. He popped the hood and that is when flames shot out, engulfing the Jeep.

It is not clear what caused the Jeep to set fire. Lewis said the only issue he noticed earlier in the day was that the electronic dashboard was lagging and an electrical smell right before the flames were sparked."

·
10,444 Posts
Geez. That’s right on my backyard.

He had just bought the new vehicle on January 6.

His wife, Jessica Lewis, said she is thankful that their two young children were not in the car at the time
.”

Needless to say that family won’t be buying another Jeep. And likely no one on that base, or anyone who gets to watch the video.

Reactions: NWbyNW

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
It’s never right to assume anything. Any car can potentially catch fire depending on the circumstances.

Mike

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Oh I agree, Mike.
Still. This is NOT what FCA needs.
Eh, much ado about nothing. It’ll be ancient history in a day or two.

Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fluke incident. Sucks for the owner and sure it will be some bad PR for Jeep locally but you don't really see late model Jeep Cherokees or anything else going up in flames anywhere at all. My guess is most likely a fuel line fitting not properly assembled and it just took a few weeks for it to separate. Whatever the cause, it's most definitely melted away so impossible to find it now. Doubt it's electrical related, fires that quickly erupt and burn as intense like this are fed by gas or oil.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Could have been a problem that wasn't present from the manufacturer. There are any number of things that could have happened to the Cherokee to cause it to catch on fire.
Most likely it will be the owner's insurance company paying a total loss claim on the vehicle. Then the insurance company will contemplate going after FCA for reimbursement on the premise that the manufacturer is responsible for the fire due to a defect.

Lots of outside issues in FCAs favor in this situation. Did anyone / any entity provide any service, maintenance, repair and otherwise touch any component under the hood that could be construed to causing a fire? Since the soldier has living quarters on base, the vehicle was probably in open, outdoor parking. Are there nearby fields, woods, etc that could attract rodents? Could there be rodent damage on wiring which most definitely contribute to starting a fire. Auto manufacturers are very good at escaping any culpability in this type of situation.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Card carrying Choctaw GM employee granddaughter was left stranded on I94 between Fargo and Bismarc, ND. Fuel pump failure in her 7,000 mile company Malibu. Much better for employee to suffer than a customer. GM got lucky on this one.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Most likely it will be the owner's insurance company paying a total loss claim on the vehicle. Then the insurance company will contemplate going after FCA for reimbursement on the premise that the manufacturer is responsible for the fire due to a defect.

Lots of outside issues in FCAs favor in this situation. Did anyone / any entity provide any service, maintenance, repair and otherwise touch any component under the hood that could be construed to causing a fire? Since the soldier has living quarters on base, the vehicle was probably in open, outdoor parking. Are there nearby fields, woods, etc that could attract rodents? Could there be rodent damage on wiring which most definitely contribute to starting a fire. Auto manufacturers are very good at escaping any culpability in this type of situation.
You are right, the insurance company will investigate the cause... Let an investigation occur. If the FCA is not found to be responsible then they are not responsible... it’s not about escaping anything.

There seems to be a constant assumption that the manufacturer is automatically at fault and that is not right. As you stated, circumstances can occur that have absolutely nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Mike

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Card carrying Choctaw GM employee granddaughter was left stranded on I94 between Fargo and Bismarc, ND. Fuel pump failure in her 7,000 mile company Malibu. Much better for employee to suffer than a customer. GM got lucky on this one.
Got lucky? Parts can go bad. That’s life. No manufacturer can produce perfection.

Mike

Reactions: Ian

·
Mopar Guru!
12,768 Posts

Not like it something to completely worry about. Someone forgets to attach a line here or there and then poof... fire. Remember the 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel that caught fire pulling a parade float before the debut of the truck. It happens.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Geez. That’s right on my backyard.

He had just bought the new vehicle on January 6.

His wife, Jessica Lewis, said she is thankful that their two young children were not in the car at the time
.”

Needless to say that family won’t be buying another Jeep. And likely no one on that base, or anyone who gets to watch the video.
A lot of that will depend on how FCA responds to the situation. Will the customer feel cared for? That’s the question.

·
Jeepaholic
6,275 Posts
It’s one vehicle. If there are repeat performances, then there’s an issue. If not, then it’s a blip on the radar, nothing more. Glad the guy wasn’t hurt, and hopefully his insurance company isn’t a bunch of jerks. Since he’s military, he probably has USAA and they’ve always done right by me and all of my family.

Several weeks ago while driving home from work in the morning, I noticed something strange in my rear view mirror. About 100 yards or more behind me, I could see flames coming out of the hood of a car behind me. They pulled to the side and more flames shot out. I was so far ahead, I couldn’t stop to help. I really hope they got out ok. There were other cars there too so hopefully someone did stop to help. I’ve stopped to help with accidents on I95 several times over the years, I spend most of my life on it unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts

Not like it something to completely worry about. Someone forgets to attach a line here or there and then poof... fire. Remember the 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel that caught fire pulling a parade float before the debut of the truck. It happens.
I was just about to mention this. Its should be gone in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
A lot of that will depend on how FCA responds to the situation. Will the customer feel cared for? That’s the question.
FCA doesn’t have to respond directly or make anyone “feel cared for”... the owner purchased the vehicle and needs to contact their insurance company. The insurance company will contact FCA if there is an issue or defect that needs to be addressed. By that time the vehicle owner probably will have already replaced the vehicle.

Mike

Reactions: codypet

·
10,444 Posts
It’s one vehicle. If there are repeat performances, then there’s an issue. If not, then it’s a blip on the radar, nothing more. Glad the guy wasn’t hurt, and hopefully his insurance company isn’t a bunch of jerks. Since he’s military, he probably has USAA and they’ve always done right by me and all of my family.

Several weeks ago while driving home from work in the morning, I noticed something strange in my rear view mirror. About 100 yards or more behind me, I could see flames coming out of the hood of a car behind me. They pulled to the side and more flames shot out. I was so far ahead, I couldn’t stop to help. I really hope they got out ok. There were other cars there too so hopefully someone did stop to help. I’ve stopped to help with accidents on I95 several times over the years, I spend most of my life on it unfortunately.
It is not whether it is just one product or 10,000. It is on video, it is on TV, and it is dramatic.

We saw what that 911 recording of a CHP officer calling while his Lexus hurtled him and his family to their deaths did for Toyota.

After all the investigations have been completed, it is still debatable whether Toyota was at fault. But once consumers heard that recording, there was no doubt in their minds.

Even if this video has a fraction of the impact of that 911 recording, it could still add serious pressure to a product already feeling the squeeze.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and DarkSky

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
It is not whether it is just one product or 10,000. It is on video, it is on TV, and it is dramatic.

We saw what that 911 recording of a CHP officer calling while his Lexus hurtled him and his family to their deaths did for Toyota.

After all the investigations have been completed, it is still debatable whether Toyota was at fault. But once consumers heard that recording, there was no doubt in their minds.

Even if this video has a fraction of the impact of that 911 recording, it could still add serious pressure on a product already feeling the squeeze.
Even though the chances of the vehicle having a problem from the factory are probably pretty low since anything could have happened between the time he bought it and time it caught on fire, FCA should still contact him and tell him they are investigating the issue. They don't have to, but it would go a long way in making the customer and the public feel more secure about buying Jeep vehicles.

·
Jeepaholic
6,275 Posts

Even if this video has a fraction of the impact of that 911 recording, it could still add serious pressure on a product already feeling the squeeze.
Perhaps. But it’s still one incident. If they investigate, and find a defect, then maybe this will add up to something. But the media, both conventional and social, is full of random incidents that get made into mountains from a mole hill because they’re presented without context and facts are omitted. This is the case here. We’re presented with a scary incident, but as far as we can tell so far, is it is one isolated incident with cause currently unknown.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
10,444 Posts
Perhaps. But it’s still one incident. If they investigate, and find a defect, then maybe this will add up to something. But the media, both conventional and social, is full of random incidents that get made into mountains from a mole hill because they’re presented without context and facts are omitted. This is the case here. We’re presented with a scary incident, but as far as we can tell so far, is it is one isolated incident with cause currently unknown.
Unfortunately, no business can afford to be so indifferent in this day of user-content media.

There are lots of instances where a situation grew into a much bigger issue because the organization chose to ignore it.

I don't know what the correct answer here is. Simply ignoring it certainly doesn't seem like the appropriate one, though.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.