Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2019, FCA Fleet says there are no major changes outside of minor trim and color changes, inline with the retail cars. Charger Pursuits are still available with various upfit packages preinstalled, along with special paint options at extra cost.

The 3 trim levels continue:

Charger Pursuit V6 - 300 hp, A580, 2.62 rear, 141 mph (limited)

Charger Pursuit V8 - 370 hp, A580, 2.62, 152 mph (ltd)

Charger Pursuit AWD - 370 how, A580, 3.07/3.07, 149 mph (ltd)

For anyone interested in a new police vehicle, the answer is still a firm no ... Unless the vehicle comes under the exceptions:

Current model year - must be "in service" (titled) a minimum of 6 months. Retail customers do not qualify for the 5/100 warranty. The 5/60 will apply in this case.

1 model year old - may be sold as new. 5/60 warranty.

2+ model years (leftover stock) - used only. 2015 models only - 5/100 warranty applies.

I was not able to extract any future goodness from my sources, but the police models will definitely continue into the new model cycles in late 2021.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've always been of the belief to never say never when something exists and money can buy it. If a buyer had the cash, and managed to find the right person at the right time who was in a position to sell the car and push the paperwork through, I think it could be possible to buy a new one as a personal car. It would be cool to have a column shift stripped Charger with plain black wheels.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always been of the belief to never say never when something exists and money can buy it. If a buyer had the cash, and managed to find the right person at the right time who was in a position to sell the car and push the paperwork through, I think it could be possible to buy a new one as a personal car. It would be cool to have a column shift stripped Charger with plain black wheels.
With ordering and processing all electronically completed, there isn't a way to walk in the dealership with cash and order a LEV.

Whether off the order form, or off the lot, a brand new, current model year squad requires a fleet customer number and accompanying documentation (AFE, bid info, department specs, etc).

Could you piggyback an order on a friendly agency? That may be an option if the agency can figure how to show, on paper, that it allowed such a transaction. Even still, as a personal use vehicle, the warranty will run out at 60,000 miles for 2016 and newer models.

Some Zones/locales/dealerships do offer an "ERS" program, but you would - in essence - be piggybacking on an existing customer order, with the same caveats as noted.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just want the charger without the console. They should be able to do that.
One would think such choices would be available. They were, as recently as the LH cars. The ability to pick and choose your options, a la carte, largely disappeared with the demise of the M body. In 1983, you could still pick your engine, suspension, color combo, all the interior features, and even A/C or not.

With the Intrepid, you could still pick buckets with the console, or split bench with the column shifter.

Now, with the Charger SXT, you pick a color, and if you want anything special, it's in an overpriced package.

As far as the stripped-down model, the Pursuit ain't it. Underneath the fur and feathers, it's got all kinds of goodies that the SXT and R/T don't have. I have long wished for a very basic squad with the V8, AWD, BR9 brakes, and the big rubber. Maybe a decent stereo and A/C.
Ford does this. With the Ford, you have to spec everything out, and they charge like hell for it, even at low bid prices. Dodge lumps everything together, makes the oddball stuff optional, and offers it all at the lowest bid price.

How do you win ???

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
The problem is the column shifter only exists for the 5 speed. Probably could be adapted for the 8 speed, but few people would probably buy it. Then there's no bench seat which means crash testing and likely airbag revisions. Expensive, I'd bet. I absolutely hated the column shifter in my 2007 Magnum AHB. I was going to convert it to a floor shift but ended up selling it. Supposedly later Chargers have a better column shift setup.
I like center consoles and bucket seats when the console isn't so wide or so tall it eliminates precious knee room.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shifter on LD squads is excellent. The '12s had an issue with them falling apart (!), But they feel very natural, unlike the clunky LX version.
Since all the transmission are electronically shifted, it won't be an issue to get it to work with the 8-spds, and we should be seeing that actual change over in the '20 MY.

Would that new arrangement work retroactively within the LD line? If a guy was good with taking apart the dash to change out the shifter (the consoles are easy as pie), I'd think it'd be a good swap. The little police "console" is a cheap boneyard part, and cleans up the floor pretty good. Opens up that space, for sure, but no place for that ice cold brew (oops) soda ...

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I had a 79 Magnum the original owner ordered strangly...360 with bucket seat but a column shift automatic.. Nothing between the seats but the carpeted hump. It realy open up the front giveing you the sence of open space. In that eara b body the center console was thin and not in the way at all. But in new cars that massive console against my right knee is a deal breaker. The LX cars are alot better then others but is still bothers me.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
I had a 79 Magnum the original owner ordered strangly...360 with bucket seat but a column shift automatic.. Nothing between the seats but the carpeted hump. It realy open up the front giveing you the sence of open space. In that eara b body the center console was thin and not in the way at all. But in new cars that massive console against my right knee is a deal breaker. The LX cars are alot better then others but is still bothers me.
I had a 76 Charger SE with the same set up, buckets with nothing between them. I found a wrecked Plymouth Satellite and grabbed the "buddy seat" to put between the buckets in my Charger. I hated having nowhere to rest my arm.

Reactions: wolfsblood07

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it for sure tht the 8 speed will be in the 2020?
As noted, "should" is the key word. With these cars, they're driven flat-out, with little regard for mechanical detail. If the fleet managers tell Chrysler to stick with the A580, then they will, at least until the new models arrive. It may not make much sense - the 8HP90/95 transmissions are holding up behind the more powerful 392 and Hellcat engines, so one would think they would do well in the squads. But the worst retail car owner probably can't compare to the carnage that often happens in truly severe-duty police/fire/rescue service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts