Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we guessed, the squads get the 8-spd automatics, and the V8 RWD model was discontinued, leaving the V6 and AWD V8. Here is the Chrysler Fleet press release:

"2020 Dodge Charger Pursuit Fact Sheet:

September 1, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Dodge Charger Pursuit is the best-selling law enforcement sedan on the road today, and for 2020, Dodge underscores its commitment to the Pursuit-rated sedan segment as it brings the fuel-efficient TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission to the Charger Pursuit, replacing the outgoing five-speed transmission.

Also, for 2020, the Charger Pursuit continues to offer the exclusive, no-cost Officer Protection Package. This package is designed to provide officers with rear vision and enhanced officer safety when parked and working inside their vehicle. When activated, the rear-facing camera and sensors detect movement behind the vehicle, automatically sending images to the vehicle’s Uconnect interactive touchscreen, and any or all of the following can be programmed to occur: alert chimes sound, reverse lights and taillamps flash, windows roll up and all doors lock.

The available Uconnect 12.1-inch display integrates law enforcement systems and innovative technology to improve safety and occupant space. In addition to the pursuit-rated hardware that includes 370 best-in-class horsepower and factory-installed Mopar upfit packages, Charger Pursuit offers the segment’s most advanced all-wheel-drive (AWD) system for maximum tactical performance, all-weather traction and fuel efficiency.

Highlights:

- Standard Uconnect 7-inch display and rear camera

- Back Camera View is a standard feature on the 7-inch display, which activates the rear camera and lets officers see behind the vehicle while driving or stationary
Available at no cost on the Charger Pursuit, the Officer Protection Package is designed to increase an officer’s situational awareness when parked and working inside the vehicle, using the Charger Pursuit’s ParkSense rear park assist system, ParkView rear backup camera and Rear Cross Path detection to alert an officer if anyone is behind the vehicle

- Available Fleet Safety Group includes Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection

- Charger Pursuit V-8 and V-8 AWD models deliver 370 best-in-class horsepower

- Charger Pursuit V-8 AWD model includes the segment’s most technologically advanced AWD system with a segment-exclusive active transfer case and front-axle disconnect system to improve real-world fuel economy

- Pursuit-rated hardware: performance-tuned suspension, load-leveling NIVOMAT shocks,
14.5-inch front and 13.8-inch rear pursuit-rated brake package, front and rear stabilizer bars,
18-inch performance tires on steel wheels and two-mode electronic stability control (ESC)

- Styling for Charger Pursuit draws on Charger’s late-1960s heritage, while infusing an aggressive and visually lightened look with sleek styling

- Ballistic door panels for driver and passenger doors (Protection: NIJ Level III+) are just one of the many factory-installed Mopar upfit equipment items that include a three-year/36,000-mile warranty

- Up to an EPA-estimated 30 miles per gallon (mpg) highway with aluminum 3.6-liter Pentastar
V-6 engine with 292 horsepower, 260 lb.-ft. of torque and available E-85 flex-fuel capability

- Charger Pursuit leads in tactical technology with a laptop-size 12.1-inch touchscreen display that integrates law enforcement systems into the Uconnect touchscreen system, allowing for quick toggling between vehicle controls and nearly every police-designed computer system that can be stowed in the trunk

- Charger Pursuit’s instrument panel helps law enforcement officers keep their eyes on the road and, unlike third-party solutions that require a bulky console-mounted computer screen, does not obstruct driver and front passenger air bags or interfere with occupant space. For added upfit equipment control and capability, the available Uconnect 12.1-inch display also provides Charger Pursuit with a fourth auxiliary button, making installation of upfit equipment easier
Charger Pursuit’s Uconnect systems are engineered and tested to work with an officer wearing gloves, plus extreme operating conditions as low as -40 degrees Celsius and as hot as 85 degrees Celsius

- Available Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 5,450 pounds with 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine

- Driver-focused cockpit is designed to be a mobile command center with world-class materials, police-duty upgrades and state-of-the-art technologies. For added convenience, the steering wheel includes re-mappable auxiliary buttons that can be programmed to operate aftermarket police equipment

Model Lineup:

For 2020, the Dodge Charger Pursuit lineup consists of two models:

Charger Pursuit V-6
Charger Pursuit V-8 AWD

Available Exterior Colors:

Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat (Pursuit color only)
Destroyer Gray Clear Coat
Electric Blue Pearl Coat (Pursuit color only)
Go Mango Clear Coat
Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat
IndiGo Blue (NEW) (late availability)
Maximum Steel Metallic Clear Coat
Michigan State Police Blue (Pursuit color only)
Midnight Blue Pearl Coat (Pursuit color only)
Octane Red
Pitch Black Clear Coat
Ranger Clear Coat (Pursuit color only)
Sheriff’s Tan (Pursuit color only)
TorRed Clear Coat
White Gold (Pursuit color only)
White Knuckle Clear Coat
Frostbite
Green Metallic"

----------

The outgoing A580 transmission shouid be recognized as a US-built assembly that, in severe service, held up much better than the old 4R70/75 used in the Crown Vic, and the 6-spd autos in the Taurus/Exploder junkers. It was first used behind all the older LX squads, then all LD squads through 2019, and it was even used in all SRT models through mid-2014.
While the myth continues that it was a "Mercedes" transmission, the A580 was actually a Chrysler version of the ZF 5HP30 that was used in several foreign models. It was first adapted for use in the earlier LX models, then reenginered and built at Kokomo for the LD/LC and Wranglers.

The RWD 5.7 Charger is now retail-only, a fair trade for the AWD V8 model Fleet got in January of 2014. The 2012 RWD V8 set one of the all-time lap records at Grattan during the MSP tests, and the 2013 version brought the trophy home from Car and Driver's Lightning Lap, easily besting the V8 Caprice. The next year, the AWD model set its own records at Grattan. By 2016, the AWD model helped Chrysler tie with Ford in LEV sales. That was also the last year Ford held the top spot. Today, with a starting bid price almost exactly $10,000 less per unit vs the 2020 Exploder, the Pursuits are guaranteed to remain America's Police Car.

·
Super Moderator
37,887 Posts
Chrysler Fleet needs to hire a proofreader.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chrysler Fleet needs to hire a proofreader.
Any mistakes are mine - the gentle reader will notice the quotation marks delineating their text, transcribed by me, and my comments, typed with a large thumb on a tiny keypad ...

·
Super Moderator
37,887 Posts
Any mistakes are mine - the gentle reader will notice the quotation marks delineating their text, transcribed by me, and my comments, typed with a large thumb on a tiny keypad ...
No, I looked at their original release. Just a couple of minor flubs that stand out big time to me because that's what I do for a living.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's all there is to say?
LOL ...

I suppose they could do a little better, but what the heck - it's a fairly limited audience they're aiming at, and I can always get a clarification if it's too rough. Ford puts out some funny stuff once in awhile, too.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
LOL ...

I suppose they could do a little better, but what the heck - it's a fairly limited audience they're aiming at, and I can always get a clarification if it's too rough. Ford puts out some funny stuff once in awhile, too.
Yes...just found it funny

All that information .... spelling wasn't my chief takeaway.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did I read correctly? Awd v8.
Yes, V8 and AWD.

When the retail side dropped the Charger R/T AWD in early model year 2014, Chrysler Fleet got SRT to engineer i
AWD into the Pursuit, and it was first offered for sale beginning in January of 2014.

As time went by, sales of the RWD V8 Pursuit slipped, while the AWD model soared, to the point where the RWD V8 model is now discontinued.

The AWD Charger Pursuit remains the only domestic sedan with V8 and AWD. But it's Fleet Only. Unless you find a demo.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes...just found it funny

Yeah ... they (and I) could certainly do better, but context is key ...

All that information .... spelling wasn't my chief takeaway.

·
Banned
1,295 Posts
Yes, V8 and AWD.

When the retail side dropped the Charger R/T AWD in early model year 2014, Chrysler Fleet got SRT to engineer i
AWD into the Pursuit, and it was first offered for sale beginning in January of 2014.

As time went by, sales of the RWD V8 Pursuit slipped, while the AWD model soared, to the point where the RWD V8 model is now discontinued.

The AWD Charger Pursuit remains the only domestic sedan with V8 and AWD. But it's Fleet Only. Unless you find a demo.

Oh, this is with the 5 speed trans?

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, this is with the 5 speed trans?
As the press release (above) indicates, the '20s will be equipped with the 8-spd transmissions.
Prior models (all Pursuit models) use the 5-spd auto.

Of particular interest, this is the first use of the 8-spd with the V8 and AWD in the cars.
It will be a jolly good time, when (not "if") SRT utilizes this assembly in future projects ...

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
Yes, V8 and AWD.

Heck; the only RWD V8 Detroit Three sedans still being made are the Chrysler 300 and Charger. If I'm missing one, let me know. Cadillac, maybe.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
will the 8 speed be controled by the current shifter by the steering coulmn or will it have the knob? where will the knob be??

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will the 8 speed be controled by the current shifter by the steering coulmn or will it have the knob? where will the knob be??
Column. Remember, the A580 was also electronically shifted.

The reason it goes on the column is to open up the floor for police radios, etc. The Durango Pursuit - for now - retains the retail Charger's floor shifter.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heck; the only RWD V8 Detroit Three sedans still being made are the Chrysler 300 and Charger. If I'm missing one, let me know. Cadillac, maybe.
They're discontinuing the CTS-V. The rest is all whiz-bang 4 and 6 cylinder junk.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Column. Remember, the A580 was also electronically shifted.

The reason it goes on the column is to open up the floor for police radios, etc. The Durango Pursuit - for now - retains the retail Charger's floor shifter.
since the shifter is ectronic, isn't it easy to put it almost any where?

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
since the shifter is ectronic, isn't it easy to put it almost any where?
It probably is, but since these cars are engineered and built for a specific market, they put the shifter where those customers have requested: on the column.

The gentle reader will recall the amusing 2011 - 2017 Caprice had a bizarre dogleg console shifter. It was not appreciated by those in the field.

I believe the Durango SSV/Pursuit models are currently the only squads using a console shifter, but as they quickly gain acceptance over the Exploder and Tahoe, the Chrysler Police Advisory Board will likely request SRT to whip up a column/dash shifter (probably via the Charger). Definitely not a huge undertaking.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It probably is, but since these cars are engineered and built for a specific market, they put the shifter where those customers have requested: on the column.

The gentle reader will recall the amusing 2011 - 2017 Caprice had a bizarre dogleg console shifter. It was not appreciated by those in the field.

I believe the Durango SSV/Pursuit models are currently the only squads using a console shifter, but as they quickly gain acceptance over the Exploder and Tahoe, the Chrysler Police Advisory Board will likely request SRT to whip up a column/dash shifter (probably via the Charger). Definitely not a huge undertaking.
On the floor shifter on a regular charger is it made to "feel" like its still mechanicaly linked to the transmission?

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts

From what I've read about the Explorer, it sounds to me that Ford addressed most of its design flaws, not the least by putting the engine back lengthwise and, the retail 2WD model now being RWD. As for that nasty waterpump location, that I don't know if it was also addressed, where the timing belt/chain needs to be removed to access it and, that procedure made the 3.0L Mitsu V6 belt/waterpump seem like childs play.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts