Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
As we guessed, the squads get the 8-spd automatics, and the V8 RWD model was discontinued, leaving the V6 and AWD V8. Here is the Chrysler Fleet press release:

"2020 Dodge Charger Pursuit Fact Sheet:

September 1, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The Dodge Charger Pursuit is the best-selling law enforcement sedan on the road today, and for 2020, Dodge underscores its commitment to the Pursuit-rated sedan segment as it brings the fuel-efficient TorqueFlite eight-speed transmission to the Charger Pursuit, replacing the outgoing five-speed transmission.

Also, for 2020, the Charger Pursuit continues to offer the exclusive, no-cost Officer Protection Package. This package is designed to provide officers with rear vision and enhanced officer safety when parked and working inside their vehicle. When activated, the rear-facing camera and sensors detect movement behind the vehicle, automatically sending images to the vehicle’s Uconnect interactive touchscreen, and any or all of the following can be programmed to occur: alert chimes sound, reverse lights and taillamps flash, windows roll up and all doors lock.

The available Uconnect 12.1-inch display integrates law enforcement systems and innovative technology to improve safety and occupant space. In addition to the pursuit-rated hardware that includes 370 best-in-class horsepower and factory-installed Mopar upfit packages, Charger Pursuit offers the segment’s most advanced all-wheel-drive (AWD) system for maximum tactical performance, all-weather traction and fuel efficiency.

Highlights:

- Standard Uconnect 7-inch display and rear camera

- Back Camera View is a standard feature on the 7-inch display, which activates the rear camera and lets officers see behind the vehicle while driving or stationary
Available at no cost on the Charger Pursuit, the Officer Protection Package is designed to increase an officer’s situational awareness when parked and working inside the vehicle, using the Charger Pursuit’s ParkSense rear park assist system, ParkView rear backup camera and Rear Cross Path detection to alert an officer if anyone is behind the vehicle

- Available Fleet Safety Group includes Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection

- Charger Pursuit V-8 and V-8 AWD models deliver 370 best-in-class horsepower

- Charger Pursuit V-8 AWD model includes the segment’s most technologically advanced AWD system with a segment-exclusive active transfer case and front-axle disconnect system to improve real-world fuel economy

- Pursuit-rated hardware: performance-tuned suspension, load-leveling NIVOMAT shocks,
14.5-inch front and 13.8-inch rear pursuit-rated brake package, front and rear stabilizer bars,
18-inch performance tires on steel wheels and two-mode electronic stability control (ESC)

- Styling for Charger Pursuit draws on Charger’s late-1960s heritage, while infusing an aggressive and visually lightened look with sleek styling

- Ballistic door panels for driver and passenger doors (Protection: NIJ Level III+) are just one of the many factory-installed Mopar upfit equipment items that include a three-year/36,000-mile warranty

- Up to an EPA-estimated 30 miles per gallon (mpg) highway with aluminum 3.6-liter Pentastar
V-6 engine with 292 horsepower, 260 lb.-ft. of torque and available E-85 flex-fuel capability

- Charger Pursuit leads in tactical technology with a laptop-size 12.1-inch touchscreen display that integrates law enforcement systems into the Uconnect touchscreen system, allowing for quick toggling between vehicle controls and nearly every police-designed computer system that can be stowed in the trunk

- Charger Pursuit’s instrument panel helps law enforcement officers keep their eyes on the road and, unlike third-party solutions that require a bulky console-mounted computer screen, does not obstruct driver and front passenger air bags or interfere with occupant space. For added upfit equipment control and capability, the available Uconnect 12.1-inch display also provides Charger Pursuit with a fourth auxiliary button, making installation of upfit equipment easier
Charger Pursuit’s Uconnect systems are engineered and tested to work with an officer wearing gloves, plus extreme operating conditions as low as -40 degrees Celsius and as hot as 85 degrees Celsius

- Available Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 5,450 pounds with 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine

- Driver-focused cockpit is designed to be a mobile command center with world-class materials, police-duty upgrades and state-of-the-art technologies. For added convenience, the steering wheel includes re-mappable auxiliary buttons that can be programmed to operate aftermarket police equipment

Model Lineup:

For 2020, the Dodge Charger Pursuit lineup consists of two models:

Charger Pursuit V-6
Charger Pursuit V-8 AWD

Available Exterior Colors:

Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat (Pursuit color only)
Destroyer Gray Clear Coat
Electric Blue Pearl Coat (Pursuit color only)
Go Mango Clear Coat
Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat
IndiGo Blue (NEW) (late availability)
Maximum Steel Metallic Clear Coat
Michigan State Police Blue (Pursuit color only)
Midnight Blue Pearl Coat (Pursuit color only)
Octane Red
Pitch Black Clear Coat
Ranger Clear Coat (Pursuit color only)
Sheriff’s Tan (Pursuit color only)
TorRed Clear Coat
White Gold (Pursuit color only)
White Knuckle Clear Coat
Frostbite
Green Metallic"

----------

The outgoing A580 transmission shouid be recognized as a US-built assembly that, in severe service, held up much better than the old 4R70/75 used in the Crown Vic, and the 6-spd autos in the Taurus/Exploder junkers. It was first used behind all the older LX squads, then all LD squads through 2019, and it was even used in all SRT models through mid-2014.
While the myth continues that it was a "Mercedes" transmission, the A580 was actually a Chrysler version of the ZF 5HP30 that was used in several foreign models. It was first adapted for use in the earlier LX models, then reenginered and built at Kokomo for the LD/LC and Wranglers.

The RWD 5.7 Charger is now retail-only, a fair trade for the AWD V8 model Fleet got in January of 2014. The 2012 RWD V8 set one of the all-time lap records at Grattan during the MSP tests, and the 2013 version brought the trophy home from Car and Driver's Lightning Lap, easily besting the V8 Caprice. The next year, the AWD model set its own records at Grattan. By 2016, the AWD model helped Chrysler tie with Ford in LEV sales. That was also the last year Ford held the top spot. Today, with a starting bid price almost exactly $10,000 less per unit vs the 2020 Exploder, the Pursuits are guaranteed to remain America's Police Car.
I thought we weren't allowed to call them exploders?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alright, I know this thread has been dead for a few months but I would like to bring something interesting up. IF you look at the press material it does say the Charger is going to get the 8 Speed. But if you look at the specs and the PDF of the car there is no mention of the 8 speed anywhere. Only the 5 Speed is mentioned so i am super confused so what do yall think?

·
Super Moderator
37,850 Posts
Alright, I know this thread has been dead for a few months but I would like to bring something interesting up. IF you look at the press material it does say the Charger is going to get the 8 Speed. But if you look at the specs and the PDF of the car there is no mention of the 8 speed anywhere. Only the 5 Speed is mentioned so i am super confused so what do yall think?
The Michigan State Police tested 4 Chargers, two were 2020 models and two were 2021 models. Both AWD models still ran the 5 speed. The RWD models were probably the 2021 models with the 8 speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Michigan State Police tested 4 Chargers, two were 2020 models and two were 2021 models. Both AWD models still ran the 5 speed. The RWD models were probably the 2021 models with the 8 speed.
2021? already? it's a little early, isn't it? I thought Dodge canned the V8 RWD Police Cars. I also just came from the article i think you are referencing and it makes no mention of the date. Its the one about the Charger and Durango Right?

·
Super Moderator
37,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I think most surprising to me was how the officers rated the Charger seats more comfortable then the Explorer as well as ergonomics. I was not surprised that the Explorer gauges were rated low..the Ford gauge pod they've been using for a while now in a lot of vehicles is poor for information feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is interesting is in those tests the 8-speed wasn't exactly much faster if at all than the old 5-speed...especially at higher speeds.
that is interesting to know. I wonder if they can't or won't do an 8 speed and AWD. I really want the V8 and 8 speed and AWD is a must for where I live. I would cost too much to modify and existing charger even if I got a donator transmission.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They easily can as the ZF 8-speed has that as an option...and its used in the Durango/Jeep. I'm thinking its purely a ROI. Not enough sales to warrant the expense. I do feel the V6 is pretty good, and IMO the V8 AWD option should only be the 6.4L..not the 5.7L

·
Super Moderator
13,931 Posts
What is interesting is in those tests the 8-speed wasn't exactly much faster if at all than the old 5-speed...especially at higher speeds.
Supposedtly; the higher number of tranny gears are for MPG reasons, at least in varying speed driving conditions. As for performance, anything much above 3-4 spds, goes past the law of diminishing returns, assuming top gear is a direct 1:1 ratio.

Reactions: wolfsblood07

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
that is interesting to know. I wonder if they can't or won't do an 8 speed and AWD. I really want the V8 and 8 speed and AWD is a must for where I live. I would cost too much to modify and existing charger even if I got a donator transmission.
I would ask that you read my previous posts regarding these models.

These vehicles are not available new to the public. You need an FCA Fleet account, along with other qualifications, to initiate an order for a police vehicle.

Chrysler discontinued production of the Kokomo-built A580 5-spd auto in August of 2018. With sales of the Pursuit models surpassing that of the Ford, supply quickly ran out. I will speculate that this is far and away the reason for the truncated 2-month ordering window for the 2020 models.

Fleet did test 4 models for the 2020 tests. Because of the increasing demand for a V6-AWD Pursuit, one can almost be guaranteed for 2021, along with the other 3 models, so we should see these 4 offered for 2021:

V6, RWD, 850RE (not the 845RE)
V6, AWD, 850RE
V8, RWD, 8HP70 (870RE)
V8, AWD, 8HP70

The AWD V6 Charger will kill the Ford. It's a proven platform with excellent reliability and also fuel economy. Considering the average bid price of the new Ford is right at $38,000, Fleet will probably sell the V6-AWD model for about $23,000 (V8-AWD is running about $24,500).
The reason the Fords are traditionally far higher in price is because they don't offer anywhere near the standard equipment that Dodge is, and Ford is not shy about pushing the limits with their options prices.

I am not aware of any plans for styling changes prior to release of the new LF models for late 2022.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Supposedtly; the higher number of tranny gears are for MPG reasons, at least in varying speed driving conditions. As for performance, anything much above 3-4 spds, goes past the law of diminishing returns, assuming top gear is a direct 1:1 ratio.
Fuel economy is everything in a fleet. Ford is making lots of noise about their claimed fuel economy, particularly the hybrid, but they aren't noted for accuracy in actual BSFC numbers out in the field. It will be literally impossible for any agency to recover the extra cost for those models, unless they only run them lightly and over a long period of time. The extra maintenance costs will bust more than a few budgets. Prior (2013-2019) Fords were averaging about the same fuel economy in the field as the Crown Vic - 14 mpg with the 3.7 V-6. The V6 Dodges average about 18 mpg, the RWD V8, about 16 mpg, and AWD models about 15 mpg. An agency going from the 14 mpg Ford to a 2021 V6 AWD Charger (we'll project it averages 20 mpg), plus the $15,000 lower bid price, stands to experience tremendous savings in operating costs - with the same (or better) performance in the field.

This is where the 8-spds will help the Chargers, whether V6 or V8. The spread of ratios will keep the power in the sweet spot, and fuel usage to a minimum, which is critical for vehicles that are engineered to be used in situations unimaginable in retail or race use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would ask that you read my previous posts regarding these models.

These vehicles are not available new to the public. You need an FCA Fleet account, along with other qualifications, to initiate an order for a police vehicle.

Chrysler discontinued production of the Kokomo-built A580 5-spd auto in August of 2018. With sales of the Pursuit models surpassing that of the Ford, supply quickly ran out. I will speculate that this is far and away the reason for the truncated 2-month ordering window for the 2020 models.

Fleet did test 4 models for the 2020 tests. Because of the increasing demand for a V6-AWD Pursuit, one can almost be guaranteed for 2021, along with the other 3 models, so we should see these 4 offered for 2021:

V6, RWD, 850RE (not the 845RE)
V6, AWD, 850RE
V8, RWD, 8HP70 (870RE)
V8, AWD, 8HP70

The AWD V6 Charger will kill the Ford. It's a proven platform with excellent reliability and also fuel economy. Considering the average bid price of the new Ford is right at $38,000, Fleet will probably sell the V6-AWD model for about $23,000 (V8-AWD is running about $24,500).
The reason the Fords are traditionally far higher in price is because they don't offer anywhere near the standard equipment that Dodge is, and Ford is not shy about pushing the limits with their options prices.

I am not aware of any plans for styling changes prior to release of the new LF models for late 2022.
I don't plan on buying one of these suckers new. I'm just honestly surprised that dodge or SRT hasn't come up with a 5.7 AWD vehicle on the Charger platform. I'm like one of those people who wants what he wants. I'm willing to wait and see what actually comes out in 2020. Short of paying thousands to do an Engine swap on a civilian vehicle or a Transmission swap in a Pursuit vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I don't plan on buying one of these suckers new. I'm just honestly surprised that dodge or SRT hasn't come up with a 5.7 AWD vehicle on the Charger platform. I'm like one of those people who wants what he wants. I'm willing to wait and see what actually comes out in 2020. Short of paying thousands to do an Engine swap on a civilian vehicle or a Transmission swap in a Pursuit vehicle.
They discontinued the AWD retail R/T simultaneously with introducing the AWD 5.7 Pursuit in January of 2014.

Either way, your options are thus - find an AWD 5.7 R/T, which were built through mid 2014, or find an AWD 5.7 Pursuit, which were built from mid 2014 through now (2020 MY). No muss, no fuss.
You may be able to convince your dealer to find a low-mileage demo or corporate exec AWD Pursuit you could buy.
There's plenty out there, no powertrain or drivetrain swaps necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They discontinued the AWD retail R/T simultaneously with introducing the AWD 5.7 Pursuit in January of 2014.

Either way, your options are thus - find an AWD 5.7 R/T, which were built through mid 2014, or find an AWD 5.7 Pursuit, which were built from mid 2014 through now (2020 MY). No muss, no fuss.
You may be able to convince your dealer to find a low-mileage demo or corporate exec AWD Pursuit you could buy.
There's plenty out there, no powertrain or drivetrain swaps necessary.
I would want the new facia so a pursuit it is. I want a pursuit the reason i would like the 8 speed is becuase #1 fuel economy and #2 acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I would want the new facia so a pursuit it is. I want a pursuit the reason i would like the 8 speed is becuase #1 fuel economy and #2 acceleration.
You're right, and here's why:

Tests - both the squads and the retail R/T - seem to indicate the 5.7 V8 doesn't really care which transmission is behind it, as the performance numbers between the A580 and 870RE (my designation for the 8HP70) are fairly close. This may sound a little strange, but its predecessor, the E58/EME (360 4bbl Police engine) performed in a very similar fashion, whether it had a 32RH or 36RH behind it. Smaller engines, like the E48/ELE 318-4 bbl Police, and the 3.6 Pentastar show a far more pronounced improvement with more (or, in the 318's case, a wider spread of) ratios.

That having been said, these tests can only represent controlled track conditions. A difference of 1 or 2 mph in top speed, or a half-second from 0 to 60 in a test are essentially meaningless out in the field, particularly in the situations these vehicles are designed to be involved in. The extra ratios definitely help the engine, its performance, and fuel economy.

Now, with all of that, you are currently stuck with the A580 until 2021. The latest word I have is all '20 models use the A580. When supplies of that assembly dried up, they closed out the ordering for the year.

Personally, I think the AWD/V8/8-spd combo will be the absolute pinnacle of police sedan performance, and if the demand is there for retail sales of that combo, the retail side really should look at trying to offer it at a price folks can afford.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You're right, and here's why:

Tests - both the squads and the retail R/T - seem to indicate the 5.7 V8 doesn't really care which transmission is behind it, as the performance numbers between the A580 and 870RE (my designation for the 8HP70) are fairly close. This may sound a little strange, but its predecessor, the E58/EME (360 4bbl Police engine) performed in a very similar fashion, whether it had a 32RH or 36RH behind it. Smaller engines, like the E48/ELE 318-4 bbl Police, and the 3.6 Pentastar show a far more pronounced improvement with more (or, in the 318's case, a wider spread of) ratios.

That having been said, these tests can only represent controlled track conditions. A difference of 1 or 2 mph in top speed, or a half-second from 0 to 60 in a test are essentially meaningless out in the field, particularly in the situations these vehicles are designed to be involved in. The extra ratios definitely help the engine, its performance, and fuel economy.

Now, with all of that, you are currently stuck with the A580 until 2021. The latest word I have is all '20 models use the A580. When supplies of that assembly dried up, they closed out the ordering for the year.

Personally, I think the AWD/V8/8-spd combo will be the absolute pinnacle of police sedan performance, and if the demand is there for retail sales of that combo, the retail side really should look at trying to offer it at a price folks can afford.
I understand that the eight speed doesn’t seem to make a difference but the fuel economy gains I think would be worth it in the long run. That would be an ideal car for me a 5.7/8WD/8 speed Dodge charger. I thought about buying a SXT all wheel drive and popping a HEMI into it. Of course obviously I thought about upgrading the five speed to the eight speed. Both cost a lot of money but I think it would be worth it to have my dream car. Everyone seems to think that I’m crazy when I say I want to do this. But I honestly do and nobody seems to give me any numbers or potential caveats they just say it’s not worth it.Of course obviously I thought about upgrading the five speed to the eight speed. Both cost a lot of money but I think it would be worth it to have my dream car. Everyone seems to think that I’m crazy when I say I want to do this. But I honestly do and nobody seems to give me any numbers or potential caveats they just say it’s not worth it

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I understand that the eight speed doesn’t seem to make a difference but the fuel economy gains I think would be worth it in the long run. That would be an ideal car for me a 5.7/8WD/8 speed Dodge charger. I thought about buying a SXT all wheel drive and popping a HEMI into it. Of course obviously I thought about upgrading the five speed to the eight speed. Both cost a lot of money but I think it would be worth it to have my dream car. Everyone seems to think that I’m crazy when I say I want to do this. But I honestly do and nobody seems to give me any numbers or potential caveats they just say it’s not worth it.Of course obviously I thought about upgrading the five speed to the eight speed. Both cost a lot of money but I think it would be worth it to have my dream car. Everyone seems to think that I’m crazy when I say I want to do this. But I honestly do and nobody seems to give me any numbers or potential caveats they just say it’s not worth it
The way these cars are engineered is what makes engine/transmission swaps cost-prohibitive. You don't just need the V8 to put in a V6 car, you need the correct transmission, probably the K member, the powertrain electrical and emission systems, the PCM, the correct fuel pumps, the V8 front and rear diffs ...

If you had a parts car of the same year as the receiving car, or interchange years (06-08, 09-10, 11-14, 15-18) that also makes a big difference. That's really the only way to go about that, now.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts