·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And hope they worked out all the bugs in that engine.
Still a press fitting on the timing, but doubt many Wrangler owners will be doing much towing that would stress this engine.

Reactions: wtxiceman

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
With that engines reputation I wouldn’t touch one until they prove their durability in the real world. Maybe if they came with an extended warranty it would make a difference.

·
Registered
12,698 Posts
I expect the price to be comprable to the Ram 1500 price.

·
Super Moderator
37,269 Posts
I guess the big questions are how much money and how much more efficient.
Unless something has changed, the diesel was speced to tow less than gas.

·
Registered
952 Posts
They've said this for two full model years now. I will believe it when I see one sitting on a dealership lot with a Monroney on the glass.

My lust for this engine is gone, though. They didn't fix the issues that killed the Gen 2 engine, but they did add new potential problem areas like lightweighted pistons and coated cylinders, dual EGR, etc. And it's expensive. And its fuel is expensive. And maintenance is expensive. Sigh...

Reactions: aldo90731

·
10,438 Posts
Although I don’t tow, I’d still love to get better MPG on a Wrangler.

Having said that, given the severity of issues with the outgoing EcoDiesel, and the $5,000 premium for a new one, it would take a huge leap of faith to get me to want to try one out.

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I don’t tow, I’d still love to get better MPG on a Wrangler.

Having said that, given the severity of issues with the outgoing EcoDiesel, and the $5,000 premium for a new one, it would take a huge leap of faith to get me to want to try one out.
Ironically, the Wrangler is probably the ONLY vehicle I would try it in because the tow rating for the vehicle overall is so low. I'd definitely get whatever the maximum powertrain warranty is though. At altitude, I'm guessing that the diesel may be 50% better in fuel economy than the Pentastar V6 as you don't suffer as much power loss and the torque in the hills is worth more. Our V8 GC Trailhawk gets better gas mileage (by about 7%-15% depending on what we're doing) than our V6 GC Overland did.

·
Registered
573 Posts
So will the Gladiator offer it when the Wrangler does as a late availability next year, or is it another year or so after that?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Very excited to see this engine coming to the Wrangler.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My lust for this engine is gone, though. They didn't fix the issues that killed the Gen 2 engine, but they did add new potential problem areas like lightweighted pistons and coated cylinders, dual EGR, etc. And it's expensive. And its fuel is expensive. And maintenance is expensive. Sigh...
Wait. They didn't fix the cam issues with this engine?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,940 Posts

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: Ryan

·
10,438 Posts
Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
10,438 Posts
Here are Wrangler’s 2020 engine options explained by TFL

·
Super Moderator
6,940 Posts
Interesting to see Jeep continue to treat Sahara increasingly separate from Sport/Rubicon.

Do you know if Sahara remains Wrangler’s best-selling trim?
I don’t think I have a way to view that.

That they are reserving some technology for the Sahara makes me wonder if the PHEV is going to be exclusive to that trim level at launch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts