Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S 3.6 automatic, just under 40k miles so out of the factory warranty.
The Jeep was shut off however some electronics did not shut down.
  • The radio (7" screen) remained illuminated. No sound plays. Only some buttons are functional. Even opening the door did not power off the radio screen.
  • The press brake and push button message remains illuminated.
  • The gear shift indicator light remains on.
  • The garage door buttons on the visor remain active.
Everything else appears to shut down normally. The Jeep can be restated, but the radio does not function - no sound, no phone support (Bluetooth or CarPlay).
it appears that this may have continued until the battery was run down as leaving the Jeep for 1/2 hour did not change anything.

I ended up pulling the battery power (not as easy as one would think since there are two batteries). This reset everything and the Jeep is functioning normally again.
I had tried a reset on the radio (using the phone and voice recognition buttons) but that didn't work since the radio didn't shut off with the door opening. My initial assumption was te radio was causing the problem.

Any thoughts? A one time glitch or a problem waiting to happen again?

·
Registered
1970 Plymouth Duster 340, 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
111 Posts
Our Compass did something similar once in a while. Mostly on startup. But I never had to go to the extreme of disconnecting the battery as it cleared on it's own. If I remember right I'd just drive off and it would reset itself. Sometimes it had to do it twice. On shutdown, something like what happened to you happened a few times, but it also eventually just went away.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
FCA electronics are well-known for having gremlins...not just in Wrangler, but other models as well.

Was the Wrangler a dealer buy-back?

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FCA electronics are well-known for having gremlins...not just in Wrangler, but other models as well.

Was the Wrangler a dealer buy-back?
No, it was a lease termination, two year corporate lease.
I see scattered reports of this - many saying the problem doesn't come back.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,709 Posts
Despite the battery-disconnect, there may still be stored fault codes. There has been a move toward non-volatile fault memory for the past decade or so. Faults now have to be erased with a scan tool.
I imagine there are some communication faults between modules if the KIN was off, but not completely 'off'.

Font Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door Screenshot

There probably are numerous module software updates (improvements), but I saw none that addressed your specific symptoms:

You can call up your radio software version # on the display by following a 'touchscreen' push sequence.

Font Parallel Circle Electric blue Engineering

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it has an IOD fuse pull it and wait 30 seconds and then reinstall. I can't tell you how many times I have had some sort of an electronic glitch and that fixed the problem.
No IOD fuse, that’s why I had to pull the battery cables.

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No error codes were shown, and the No shut down problem has not popped up again. But Saturday it developed a severe miss driving down the interstate so I limped it to the dealer with flashing check engine light. I was wrong on the mileage, it’s just under 36k, so still under full warranty. Plus power train. I suspect electrical, no death noises, miss sort of came and went, but was getting worse. I see cam phasers and such as popping up on these. I guess I’ll know when the service tech gets to it.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No stored codes except the misfires. The investigation continues. I don’t know the pattern of misfires, if it’s all, one bank, just a couple cylinders. I trust this dealer so hopefully they’ll figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
22,709 Posts
Control modules other than the PCM were checked for fault codes?
Any 'event recording' tied to the time of the misfires that could shed any light on what occurred?

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Control modules other than the PCM were checked for fault codes?
Any 'event recording' tied to the time of the misfires that could shed any light on what occurred?
@ImperialCrown : they diagnosed as a faulty coil pack. It’s still in the shop because they’re busy prepping cars for their Black Friday sale event which was fine with me. It gave me a chance to put new tires on and drive the old XJ Cherokee.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Summary of repairs: Cylinder 6 coil pack bad, carbon tracking, cracked insulator on #6 plug.
Dealer lest the driver’s window cracked and some rain got in. They did a full detail and it looked like new when I picked it up.

·
Super Moderator
22,709 Posts
A bad ignition coil and spark plug kept some of the electrical system active after shutdown? How?

·
Super Moderator
38,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A bad ignition coil and spark plug kept some of the electrical system active after shutdown? How?
Sorry, that was the misfire fix.
Nothing was found for the electrical shutdown issue. I’m just going to assume it was a radio glitch. Radio software is up to date.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts