Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
370,000 miles
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After considering it off and on for the past 3 years I finally took the plunge and bought a 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. This is my 11th Mopar, and my 4th Mopar minivan. I got the Pinnacle trim, which has lots of stuff I don’t need, but the large incentive ($6500) made it hard to resist. We’ll also be eligible for the $7500 tax credit next year at tax time, so a total of $15K off.

Have only had it a couple of weeks now, but I’m really pleased. With the Colonial gas pipeline attack (ransomware??), it’s been nice this week to be able to run our errands all-electric. As for the gas mileage after charge depletion, if I’m believing the computer (more on this below), our average seems to range between 34 and 39 MPG. If that’s anywhere near correct, this is amazing.

This is the most comfortable vehicle I’ve ever driven - so quiet and smooth.

Some good things I kind of wasn’t expecting:
  • Nice dead pedal placement for your left foot. Really adds to comfort during long trips.
  • Super comfortable seats – among the best of any car I’ve ever owned. And I can finally move the driver’s seat far enough back. With our previous 3 minivans (all Dodge Grand Caravan SE’s - 1990, 2000, and 2011) we didn’t have power seats, and the driver’s seats could not be slid back far enough for my liking.
  • Wireless phone charging works well, although if I use it instead of keeping my phone in my pocket, I tend to forget and leave my phone in the car.
  • It’s really strong and smooth off the line. I don’t stoplight race or anything, but it feels stronger than my Grand Caravan.
  • Engine start/stop is a nonissue with the battery pack. When I’m past the all-electric range and at a stop light, I can feel the engine shut off. But I guess it shuts off after charging the pack enough for a take-off, so there’s no hesitation starting out again.

Some not-so-good things that I didn’t know:
  • No charge port door open indicator. I read about this in reviews, so it was not a surprise. But now that I’ve experienced using the car, I realize how serious this is. It’s easy to forget to latch it while you’re unplugging and stowing the charging cord. I’ve already done it twice, fortunately on sunny days. I don’t want to get water and mud into that charging port.
  • Really makes it hard to track my gas mileage. With my past cars, I found the vehicle computers to be pretty optimistic, so I have always reset the trip meter at every fill-up and hand calculated my gas mileage. I can’t do this with the Pacifica Hybrid, because I don’t know how much of the mileage per tank was electric-only. I wish the car provided 2 types of trip meters: one for electric-only mileage, and one for miles driven after charge depleted.
  • According to the dealer, those frustrating Sirius XM weather alert messages still cannot be disabled. It’s been several years since I first experienced the “joy” of these messages on my 2017 Chrysler 300C – I was hoping that was long enough for this to have been fixed. I’ve read some pretty angry threads about this on various Mopar message boards, so I know I’m not the only one bothered by them. If anyone knows how to stop them easily let me know (I’ve read that for several hundred dollars you can buy an OBD2-based device that can disable them).

·
Banned
2,066 Posts
I like the color

Is it charging off a 120v outlet?

If so, that's got to be convenient, no special requirements needed, you can find outlets everywhere.

·
370,000 miles
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the color

Is it charging off a 120v outlet?

If so, that's got to be convenient, no special requirements needed, you can find outlets everywhere.
Yes, it comes with a 120v charger, and that's really all I need. It takes about 12 hours to fully charge at 120v, but we batch up our errands into at most one run in any given day. If I had a 220v charger (extra cost), it would charge in about 4 hours. Full charge gives 32 miles all-electric range, give or take.

If someone wanted to just drive this as if it were a gasoline-only vehicle (never charging), it seems to get pretty impressive gas mileage. One of these days I may try this for 1 tank of gas just so I can accurately measure the MPG via trip meter reading/next fill-up amount.

·
370,000 miles
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something else I've found is how much better cruise control works with this Pacifica vs. my Grand Caravan. I depend on cruise to save me from speeding tickets, but on big downhills my Grand Caravan can go 4 to 6 MPH over my speed setting. With this Pacifica, the regenerative braking kicks in right away - in the same road sections that the Grand Caravan exceeds my speed setting by 5 MPH, the Pacifica stays within 1 MPH.

The fuel economy after charge depletion is still keeping a big smile on my face. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing 32+ MPG on average. This must be due to the Atkinson cycle, as I don't see any other way that a heavier vehicle gets 50%+ better fuel economy than my Otto cycle Grand Caravan. The neat thing about the hybrid system is that even though Atkinson cycle means less power, the batteries and electric motor make up for that. I'm getting close to 1500 miles and have filled up twice, with over half a tank left. It took a long time, but it looks like with Pacifica Hybrid, Mopar finally offers a car in the same class as my beloved Neon for fuel economy.

Now I get to see if it can come close to my Neon for reliability - it's got a LONG way to go to convince me of that.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Awesome review, we owned 3 grand caravans in the day and my wife wishes we could get the one you have. Sure like hearing all the benefits and the cons don't seem to bad to live with. Thanks for posting this review. I agree with @06PTElectricBlue nice colour

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,241 Posts
Yes, it comes with a 120v charger, and that's really all I need. It takes about 12 hours to fully charge at 120v, but we batch up our errands into at most one run in any given day. If I had a 220v charger (extra cost), it would charge in about 4 hours. Full charge gives 32 miles all-electric range, give or take.
That's pretty impressive. Friend of mine has a Volt. It's all electric range is about 50 miles. His commute was just over 50 miles and it would run on battery almost all the way to work. He would park at a charging lot (free at the time) and let it charge all day and then it was an all electric commute home. He had a 220v charger installed in his garage and it took about 4 hours to recharge. His wife has a Fusion Hybrid that had about half that range (25 miles) on a charge. 32 miles all electric range for a heavy minivan is not bad at all.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for this review. We are interested in one of these but it’s hard to find one to test drive within a reasonable distance nearby.

What was the $6500 incentive for?

Does 120v charging require 15 or 20A wiring/breaker?

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
Thanks for this review. We are interested in one of these but it’s hard to find one to test drive within a reasonable distance nearby.

Early this year, the minivans had huge discounts. But they’ve really cut back on production since due to chip shortages so discounts have been greatly reduced.

Reactions: DGdaPilot

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Early this year, the minivans had huge discounts. But they’ve really cut back on production since due to chip shortages so discounts have been greatly reduced.
This made me curious to see how many Pacifica Hybrids were around here. There are 4 within 100 miles, all nearly $57k. Ouch.

·
370,000 miles
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I can't remember the breakdown of all of the incentives. I believe there were three $2000 rebates plus $500 for using Chrysler financing. We were planning to pay cash, but borrowed $8K of it just to grab the $500 extra incentive. They wanted us to make at least 4 monthly payments before paying off the loan for the rebate. So next month we will be paying it off.

The circuit on my carport that I use for charging is on a 20A breaker. The 120V charger that comes with the car lists that it draws 12A, so I'd guess that a 15A breaker would be fine.

I'm at around 9200 miles on the odometer now, and it's doing well. The gas mileage after charge depletion still makes me smile. The only bug I've hit is the well known issue where sometimes the power liftgate won't close when you hit the button, so you have to manually pull it down to close it. That's been happening to me once or twice a week. I just received a postcard the other day announcing a recall to fix this issue with the liftgate (I think it's a reprogramming-type fix). I hope to be able to get this recall done soon.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,347 Posts
For those that aren't under recall Y50, there is a TSB 08-097-21 for the power liftgate module software. I guess that the module times out (takes a nap) 35-45 seconds after the cluster goes to sleep and won't close automatically. This keeps it awake longer.

If it goes in for service, ask that all modules with a pending software update get updated while the tool is plugged in for a better ownership experience.

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Magenta

Font Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
464 Posts
We were finally able to test drive a 2021 Hybrid Limited today. We really liked it but I laughed a bit at the sales guy with his $5000-over-MSRP sticker price. He looked like I shot his dog. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 12 of 12 Posts