Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Details about the 2021 Dodge Law Enforcement models are finally trickling in. As predicted here at Allpar, the 2500 and 3500 Ram trucks are now available in a Special Service Package (SSV). This would infer that the 6.4HD and Cummins engines should be available, at least as options, but we'll confirm that soon.

Details on the 2021 Charger and Durango Pursuits are forthcoming. Ordering opened for all police models on September 1st. MSP testing is scheduled in two segments - late September, and Mid-October. Keeping in mind the possibility of strike activity from Unifor, Job 1 is still on schedule for November 9th.

Here's the press release from Fleet:

"INTRODUCING THE RAM HEAVY DUTY SSV PACKAGE -
Ram Heavy Duty is the first and only heavy-duty pickup truck to offer a Special Service Vehicle (SSV) package for government and emergency responder fleets. This available package consists of a Vehicle System Interface Module (VSIM), a 220-amp alternator, instrument panel-mounted auxiliary switches and the Protection Group, which includes tow hooks and skid plates for the transfer case. It’s available on the Ram 2500 and 3500 Tradesman® Regular and Crew Cab models."

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
awesome.. officers of the north will like this, lots of police trucks up here...not many of them are Ram

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome.. officers of the north will like this, lots of police trucks up here...not many of them are Ram
Here in WI, agencies using pickups - I'd say easily 60% Dodge, 25% Chevy, 15% Ford. Adding the 25/3500 models will probably add a sizable chunk of the market to FCA. Ford and Chevy police models are hideously expensive, even at rock-bottom bid award prices. I will venture an educated guess that an agency could buy a 6.4 2500 SSV for the same (or less) money than the equivalent F150 or Silverado.

I think the real winners for 2021 will be the V8 AWD Durango Pursuit and V6 AWD Charger Pursuit. The reason is very simple: Cost of purchase/ownership.

Using Midwest Regional bid award info, here are actual and estimated bid awards for 2020/2021 models for comparison. One thing to remember is Ford does not include anywhere near the standard equipment that Chrysler and GM do.

- '21 Charger V6 AWD - $23,500 (est, may be a bit less)
- '21 Durango V8 AWD - $29,500 (est, may be a bit more)
- '21 Ram 2500 6.4 SSV - $32,500 (est, may be a bit more)
- '20 Exploder PI 3.3 - $34,000 (actual)
- '21 F150 Response - $38,000 (est, probably a bit more)
- '21 Tahoe 4×4 PPV - $40,500 (actual)

While there's still no confirmation of a V8 AWD Charger (I am hearing a few reliable whispers), the 3.6 V6/8-sp/AWD combo has been in retail cars since 2012. It's a proven architecture, with a proven powertrain/drivetrain combo that will serve its purpose very well, at minimal cost.
Moving Durango production to Brampton, if it happens, makes perfect sense. I hope to see that happen.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
According to my police friends, the reason they`re not buying Durango Pursuits is the plastic rear bumpers & panels, if those are switched out to stell, more Durango Pursuits will be purchased.... espcially with the cost of purchase/ownership.

·
Super Moderator
38,731 Posts
According to my police friends, the reason they`re not buying Durango Pursuits is the plastic rear bumpers & panels, if those are switched out to stell, more Durango Pursuits will be purchased.... espcially with the cost of purchase/ownership.
So what vehicle are they buying with steel bumpers and panels?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2020 Durango was literally the only pursuit-rated model available after November 1, 2019, as Charger and Tahoe had already sold out, and Ford did not ramp up shipments of the new PU until January of '20.

The only reason any agency would've disqualified the Durango from bids was the low (at the time) top speed.

No police sedan has had exposed steel bumpers since the '89 M body, the '90 Caprice, and '91 Crown Vic; I believe the Tahoe last had them nearly 20 years ago, and the 2011+ PU never did.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So what vehicle are they buying with steel bumpers and panels?
That's the problem, they tell me that running down rough sideroads they're losing their rear bumpers.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the problem, they tell me that running down rough sideroads they're losing their rear bumpers.
I can hear the snickering from here.

The only police vehicle that had issues with bumper covers was the Crown Vic.

If you're running anything but a 4×4 police pickup off-road, you could do a lot of damage, but the Durango has remarkable ground clearance. In fact, the front bumper cover is lower than the rear. How is it those are unscathed, while the rears "fall off" ???

Sometimes you gotta listen to your BS meter when it goes off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts