Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

In September 2020, my wife and I took delivery of a Jeep Renegade Limited. This was not the original plan. We wanted the car pictured here, a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands. In a fit of optimism after the July debut, we got as far as submitting a preorder and deposit before realizing six weeks later that a $450 monthly car payment made little sense with COVID keeping us indoors and working from home for the rest of time.

We were right, as seven months later the Slate Blue Renegade we got for a song has a mere 3,000 miles on it. But after a week behind the wheel of the Baby Bronco, our buyer's remorse is stronger than ever. For her, the Bronco was “cuter.” For me, it's everything else. The Sport Badlands, more even than the Outer Banks I reviewed in November, is packed with character and a joy to drive. It's capable, powerful, and for now, unique. In other words, it's a cure for the common crossover.

Full article here:

2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Review: Creating Buyer’s Remorse (motor1.com)

Reactions: David S

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,192 Posts
In other words, “so much for the Renegade.” Turns out custom designing something to fit the purpose works better than trying to hammer an old design into shape just to meet a promise of “we will only have x platforms.” Who'd have thunk it?

That said - $450/month? My Dart, if I gave it away today, would have cost me a total of $110 including maintenance, repairs, and original price.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In other words, “so much for the Renegade.” Turns out custom designing something to fit the purpose works better than trying to hammer an old design into shape just to meet a promise of “we will only have x platforms.” Who'd have thunk it?

That said - $450/month? My Dart, if I gave it away today, would have cost me a total of $110 including maintenance, repairs, and original price.
Bronco Sport took the existing Escape architecture and the engineers put time into making it a decent off-road CUV. The Maverick will share the same architecture.

Ford will have 3 very different vehicles on the same production line, each with very different purposes.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,192 Posts
Bronco Sport took the existing Escape architecture and the engineers put time into making it a decent off-road CUV. The Maverick will share the same architecture.

Ford will have 3 very different vehicles on the same production line, each with very different purposes.
The Escape is hardly an off-road marvel, though, so I'm assuming they put a lot of time into making it better, and were willing to start from scratch where needed. Come to think of it, you're right, though. It's pretty much what Fiat did to make the 500X and Renegade, just with more time and expertise and maybe more money put into it... and better powertrains than Fiat had.

You know, it's nice to be able to use the phrase "better powertrains than Fiat" without being coshed.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Platform sharing, but new suspension parts. New control arms, wider track, springs, roll bars, shocks, struts, strut mounts, bushings all changed. Cooled transfer case, new rear axle for badlands. Of course it kills the fuel economy, and that tall Bronco style hood kills forward visibility all for looks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know how much of the Renegade, in terms of parts, is shared with the older... um... now I can't remember what it was based on...
Renegade was the first AWD SUSW vehicle developed together with the Fiat 500X, the Fiat 500L predates it as the first SUSW vehicle. It is related to SCCS which was developed from 2002 for small cars. Think Fiat Punto and Opel Corsa.

I really like the Bronco Sport but it would have been really bad from Ford if the top of the line version of a brand new vehicle with a much stronger and bigger engine in a bigger and clearly more expensive vehicle would not have been a signifiantly better vehicle than a cheaper, smaller, less powerful vehicle that basically came to market in 2014. The Renegade is nearing the end of it´s life.
Hopefully the next gen Renegade will take aim at the new Bronco Sport and improve on it as well. Ford has taken it´s time and came up with the goods. Having competition should be good for the consumer.

What suprised me is that in the reviews i´ve read/watched is that the interior quality is not in the same league as the current Jeep Compass according to the reviewers.
That seems to be the compromise that Ford made to bring a very capable and practical vehicle to this segment. I think many people like the choice they made.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The good news for Jeep is that the Renegade isn't really a Bronco Sport competitor. The bad news for Jeep is they really don't seem to offer one.
Bronco SportCompassCherokee
Wheelbase105.1 in (2,670 mm)2,640 mm (103.9 in)106.3 in (2,700 mm)
Length172.7 in (4,387 mm)4,420 mm (174.0 in)
182 in (4,623 mm)
Width74.3 in (1,887 mm)
1,820 mm (71.7 in)
73.2 in (1,859 mm) / 74.9 in (1,902 mm)
Height70.3–71.4 in (1,786–1,814 mm)1,650 mm (65.0 in)
66.2–67.8 in (1,681–1,722 mm)
Curb weight3,467–3,707 lb (1,573–1,681 kg)
3,655–4,046 lb (1,658–1,835 kg)
Engine181 HP 190 lb-ft // 245 HP 275 lb-ft184 171184 HP 171 lb-ft // 271 239 // 270 295

The problem with the Jeeps is really option availability. The Compass and Cherokee need the 1.3T as the base engine, only the Renegade gets it. The Compass and Cherokee Trailhawk need the 2.0T to compete, it is only available on other trims of the Cherokee

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The flaw in Renegade and Compass is that they have to compete with the Escape and the Bronco Sport. Where Ford is using two purpose-engineered vehicles to cover two sides of the market, FCA tried to be all things to all people.....with lots of compromises.

Ford is also offering a better powertrain than anything offered in Renegade/Compass. The 2.0T with 250hp is better in almost every way over the horrible 2.4 and 1.3T.....two noisy engines with poor fuel economy.

Now that Stellantis is in charge, I hope Jeep narrows its focus to catch up to the Bronco Sport and full-size Bronco and allows Chrysler/Dodge to take on the Ford Escape.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
I don't think here in the states that FCA understood or cares now how out of touch the engines in the smaller Jeeps are. The 1.3T should be the base engine and the 2.0T should be an option. Since they currently have nowhere near the capacity to produce more 2.0T engines here short term, I don't see that getting fixed soon either. Kokomo is starting production I guess, but what capacity will they have?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The flaw in Renegade and Compass is that they have to compete with the Escape and the Bronco Sport. Where Ford is using two purpose-engineered vehicles to cover two sides of the market, FCA tried to be all things to all people.....with lots of compromises.

Ford is also offering a better powertrain than anything offered in Renegade/Compass. The 2.0T with 250hp is better in almost every way over the horrible 2.4 and 1.3T.....two noisy engines with poor fuel economy.

Now that Stellantis is in charge, I hope Jeep narrows its focus to catch up to the Bronco Sport and full-size Bronco and allows Chrysler/Dodge to take on the Ford Escape.
The 2.0T in the Cherokee is better than the Ford 2.0T, the 1.3T in the Renegade is better than the Ford 1.5T. The problem is the 1.3T and 2.0T should be available in both the Compass and Cherokee.

Renegade is irrelevant in a discussion about the Bronco Sport, it is too small. Bronco Sport falls right between Compass and Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't think here in the states that FCA understood or cares now how out of touch the engines in the smaller Jeeps are. The 1.3T should be the base engine and the 2.0T should be an option. Since they currently have nowhere near the capacity to produce more 2.0T engines here short term, I don't see that getting fixed soon either. Kokomo is starting production I guess, but what capacity will they have?
Ship the engines from Europe, They have overcapacity there.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Ford has been working on “Jeep killers” since I was at AMC in the early 80s.
That is a long, long, long time.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Let's see how Stellantis responds. If Ford can make this out of an Escape, so Jeep can as well. Another part of the culture change I'm talking about. As an Ohio native, the culture at the former CTC and a certain football team in Michigan seem to have much in common.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Let's see how Stellantis responds. If Ford can make this out of an Escape, so Jeep can as well. Another part of the culture change I'm talking about. As an Ohio native, the culture at the former CTC and a certain football team in Michigan seem to have much in common.
Jeep could’ve done anything they wanted with their lineup. They chose to make them as they are, which puts them within easy reach of any automaker that wants to go that route. And until now, no one else really cared to...now several are actively engaged. This arrogance that only Jeep owns the ability to make an off-road vehicle is laughable especially in light of the fact that they let their most experienced engineers go...who are now working for other automakers. Often the things we do in the past come back to bite us in the posterior exhaust port, and this seems to be the case now.

This isn’t the end of the world for Jeep. Hopefully with new management they can rid themselves of the softer vehicles, and transfer them to a brand better suited to them...like Chrysler (Remember them?)...they then could focus more on the capability. However, do they have the engineering talent to take their lineup further than what it is now? Sourcing better parts would go a long ways too....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts