Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Arrogance is a very good way to describe it. The crack management team isn't hungry enough. There seem to be one or two that understands, but it seems, they possibly are being held back from their potential by someone. I see we are being bombarded by the goofy Dodge kid commercials again here where I live. What a way to pigeon hole your brand.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Jeep could’ve done anything they wanted with their lineup. They chose to make them as they are, which puts them within easy reach of any automaker that wants to go that route. And until now, no one else really cared to...now several are actively engaged. This arrogance that only Jeep owns the ability to make an off-road vehicle is laughable especially in light of the fact that they let their most experienced engineers go...who are now working for other automakers. Often the things we do in the past come back to bite us in the posterior exhaust port, and this seems to be the case now.

This isn’t the end of the world for Jeep. Hopefully with new management they can rid themselves of the softer vehicles, and transfer them to a brand better suited to them...like Chrysler (Remember them?)...they then could focus more on the capability. However, do they have the engineering talent to take their lineup further than what it is now? Sourcing better parts would go a long ways too....
That's what happens when people let their guard down, resting on their laurels and are happy or content with the status quo, eventually somebody is going to come along and knock you off your chair ;)

Ford didn't come up with this line up overnight :rolleyes:

Wasn't there any prior warning, advance notice, or even a hint that Ford was working on the New Bronco lineup? I wonder how much Jeep would have paid someone to get inside info from Ford?

Now Jeep has to try to play catchup to try and come up with something to counter the Bronco threat.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is boring and so ho-hum and to me it says, ".....I'm going to the mall....." :confused:

Are you really going to take this off road and mess up that paint :rolleyes:

But on the other hand, this Bronco screams, ".....take me off road, I'm built for it....." :D

And, ".....that was fun....." :cool:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm sorry, but this is boring and so ho-hum and to me it says, ".....I'm going to the mall....." :confused:

Are you really going to take this off road and mess up that paint :rolleyes:

But on the other hand, this Bronco screams, ".....take me off road, I'm built for it....." :D

And, ".....that was fun....." :cool:
That's the Bronco, not the Bronco Sport. The proper comparison is the Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That's the Bronco, not the Bronco Sport. The proper comparison is the Wrangler.
I picked the Trailhawk because to me, that should inspire off-roading, but it looks too smooth and nice to take offroad.

This Bronco Sport looks comfortable off the trail ;)

And having some fun here :cool:

I'd like to see a 2-door Bronco Sport :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Here's an interesting look at a comparison between Honda CRV and Bronco Sport.
Supplied without comment or opinion.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
421 Posts
It's definitely worth the watch.
It's definitely...... different.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is what happens when marketing is not aligned with product development. The Escape is the CRV competitor, not the Bronco Sport.

This is as stupid as advertising the Dart as a dirt eating rallye car with Alfa DNA.

Both are examples of marketing not knowing their own product.

Reactions: GuidoFL and David S

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Well, I suppose any vehicle could be a potential alternative to another....maybe.

For instance, if you like the performance of the Corvette, let’s have you take a look at the performance of a Wrangler! Though....with a 392 in that Wrangler.....hmmmmmmmm.

:LOL:

·
Registered
537 Posts
The flaw in Renegade and Compass is that they have to compete with the Escape and the Bronco Sport. Where Ford is using two purpose-engineered vehicles to cover two sides of the market, FCA tried to be all things to all people.....with lots of compromises.

Ford is also offering a better powertrain than anything offered in Renegade/Compass. The 2.0T with 250hp is better in almost every way over the horrible 2.4 and 1.3T.....two noisy engines with poor fuel economy.

Now that Stellantis is in charge, I hope Jeep narrows its focus to catch up to the Bronco Sport and full-size Bronco and allows Chrysler/Dodge to take on the Ford Escape.
Maybe the Bronco Sport will force Jeep into adding the 2.0t to the Compass. One can only hope. Competition can be a good thing.

Personally I have no interest in sub 2.0 turbo engines. It stinks that the Wrangler and Cherokee are the only way to get the 2.0t in the US brands.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Maybe the Bronco Sport will force Jeep into adding the 2.0t to the Compass. One can only hope. Competition can be a good thing.

Personally I have no interest in sub 2.0 turbo engines. It stinks that the Wrangler and Cherokee are the only way to get the 2.0t in the US brands.
The 2.0 would make the Compass competitive with the Ford Bronco Sport, which offers a 2.0T and 250 hp.

That is why Compass sales collapsed in Q1 despite heavy incentives.

The refreshed Compass still only offers the 1.3T. While the Compass 4xe has 240hp it comes with a heavy price premium (based on EU pricing) over the ICE-only version.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
A nice feature of the Bronco Sport that I noticed walking past one at work today. The rear window can open independently of the hatch. Maybe not a big deal, but a handy feature.

View attachment 80171
That does look handy, because you could have something long hanging out the window, without having to have the entire hatch open.

I've transported long things in my PT and have had to tie the hatch down, to keep it partially closed.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
A nice feature of the Bronco Sport that I noticed walking past one at work today. The rear window can open independently of the hatch. Maybe not a big deal, but a handy feature.

View attachment 80171
That was a nice feature of my Liberty. It was nice to be able to flip up the glass and grab stuff out, especially if items shifted around while you were driving, it could help prevent them from falling out as you opened the rear door. Also, I could reach in and grab the leashes or collars of my dogs so they couldn’t make a break for it as I opened the back door...they were very skittish about being in the car. And I was able to prop a tall ladder up on the back door with the window open, and get it home. I found it to be very useful.

Our Explorer just has the hatch, and it being a powered lift gate is nice but I wish the glass opened.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Ford is showing us how Jeeps like Renegade, Compass and Cherokee should’ve/could’ve been. Maybe now they’ll listen, though we’ve been saying it here for years.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Definitely should have followed through with the Two Faces Of Jeep plan. We got the softroaders inspired by the Grand Cherokee but what happened to the Wrangler inspired CUV? Oh yeah, we got the Renegade instead.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Definitely should have followed through with the Two Faces Of Jeep plan. We got the softroaders inspired by the Grand Cherokee but what happened to the Wrangler inspired CUV? Oh yeah, we got the Renegade instead.
Can you say exploit the Jeep name with "cheap Jeeps"?

Reactions: tlc

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
Can you say exploit the Jeep name with "cheap Jeeps"?
Yes, they needed to pick a brand and make it the current day AMC Eagle. No need to revive that brand again, use one of the many in the stable.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, they needed to pick a brand and make it the current day AMC Eagle. No need to revive that brand again, use one of the many in the stable.
Had they split the CUVs between Jeep and Chrysler or between Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge, then they would have had more success in the market. Instead, we have more low quality, high incentive vehicles that fit no brand properly

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If it is cheap CUVs the brand to go to is Dodge. That is part of restoring a full lineup to the brand.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts