Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the article:

A modernized infotainment package, revised styling, new powertrains, and additional productivity features plant the new F-150 firmly in the modern era, with driver aids that wouldn’t feel out of place in a luxury car coming along for the ride. Even volume models like this F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 seen here get in on the action. There are a few problems, mostly related to Ford’s inane pricing and options strategy and its newfound desire to cheapen all of its vehicles’ interiors, but overall, the F-150 holds up as one of the best trucks ever.

Full article here:

2021 Ford F-150 Review: The Truck Goes Techno (motor1.com)

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ram continues to beat Ford on the interior materials and ride comfort.

The pickup wars continue!

Reactions: Tony K

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
The cheaper interiors may bite them eventually perhaps, but they enjoy huge sales numbers and a consistently loyal customer base. When you’re the sales leader, you stick with a winning formula. It may seem lacking in some areas, but overall it works for them, as evidenced by their yearly sales figures,

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cheaper interiors may bite them eventually perhaps, but they enjoy huge sales numbers and a consistently loyal customer base. When you’re the sales leader, you stick with a winning formula. It may seem lacking in some areas, but overall it works for them, as evidenced by their yearly sales figures,
@aldo90731 said that pickups have some of the strongest customer retention figures and Ford certainly benefits from that.

FCA has done a great job with Ram and made the brand into a true contender. Ford is playing it more safe and focused on the hybrid F-150 and next Raptor.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The interiors are helping pay for the aluminum bodies
Yes, the entire "going aluminum" really did not do much for the F-150.....just as it really does not do much for any other mass-produced vehicle.

As Bob Sheaves would say, compare the Audi A8 against the Chrysler 300C and you have aluminum vs steel and identical performance....nothing was gained other than a "technical" advantage.

At least the use of modern materials helped reduce weight of the Grand Cherokee L. That is a real payoff unlike going all aluminum.

Reactions: Tony K and hmk123

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Yes, the entire "going aluminum" really did not do much for the F-150.....just as it really does not do much for any other mass-produced vehicle.

As Bob Sheaves would say, compare the Audi A8 against the Chrysler 300C and you have aluminum vs steel and identical performance....nothing was gained other than a "technical" advantage.

At least the use of modern materials helped reduce weight of the Grand Cherokee L. That is a real payoff unlike going all aluminum.
Not sure that's even a comparison that should be made. The a8 is a huge car so if they have identical performance that's a bad look for the 300 for something that is smaller and weighs less. As for the f150 going all aluminum helped them a ton for mpg since it lost so much weight

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure that's even a comparison that should be made. The a8 is a huge car so if they have identical performance that's a bad look for the 300 for something that is smaller and weighs less. As for the f150 going all aluminum helped them a ton for mpg since it lost so much weight
Go argue with Bob Sheaves

Reactions: Tony K and World14

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
Ever been inside a 300M? Seems as big as an A8 to me. I compared them when Bob had an A8. It's a great look for a $35,000 car to have against a - what - $80,000? car.

Or are you thinking of the 300C?

The F-150 in aluminum led to a greatly increased payload and better economy. It did pay off overall, but at a cost. More sold, lower profit per unit.

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
@aldo90731 said that pickups have some of the strongest customer retention figures and Ford certainly benefits from that.

FCA has done a great job with Ram and made the brand into a true contender. Ford is playing it more safe and focused on the hybrid F-150 and next Raptor.
I consider Ram to be the most attractive from a styling standpoint and the interiors are indeed great. I would consider the F150 to be behind them, but definitely ahead of Silverado. I don’t know much about the offerings from Toyota or Nissan, and I suppose most Americans don’t either...based on sales numbers.

Reactions: Tony K and Doug D

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Ever been inside a 300M? Seems as big as an A8 to me. I compared them when Bob had an A8. It's a great look for a $35,000 car to have against a - what - $80,000? car.

Or are you thinking of the 300C?

The F-150 in aluminum led to a greatly increased payload and better economy. It did pay off overall, but at a cost. More sold, lower profit per unit.
The other poster said 300c which is different than the 300m, either way even the same year 300m vs a8 the a8 is bigger but not nearly as much as it is now

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
The other poster said 300c which is different than the 300m, either way even the same year 300m vs a8 the a8 is bigger but not nearly as much as it is now
2006 Chrysler 300C has a 120” wheelbase and a length of 196.8”
2006 Audi A8 Standard Wheelbase has a 115.9” wheelbase and a length of 199.3”

So not that much bigger... the LWB one is a different story.

·
Registered
39 Posts

My neighbor has one, I warned him not to leave it parked on the street on garbage day because the recycling guy would pick it up.

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
2006 Chrysler 300C has a 120” wheelbase and a length of 196.8”
2006 Audi A8 Standard Wheelbase has a 115.9” wheelbase and a length of 199.3”

So not that much bigger... the LWB one is a different story.
I am pretty sure Bob was comparing the M, not the C, to the A8.
Interesting that the 300C actually has considerably shorter overhangs than the A8.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
I am pretty sure Bob was comparing the M, not the C, to the A8.
Interesting that the 300C actually has considerably shorter overhangs than the A8.
I really thought he was comparing the 300C. I tried a quick search but didn’t find anything.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
I found the conversation on why Bob bought the Audi instead of an LX car.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,471 Posts
I can't stand most auto reviewers. "Here's a feature in a truck (WORK VEHICLE) that would make it easier for people to do work (flat writing surface). But we don't understand why anyone would want that so it's stupid." So many of these auto journalists are absolutely incapable of stepping outside their own perspective. I have spent a lot of time in F150's as a work vehicle and while I don't like their interior design (RAM does it much better from a practicality and comfort perspective), I will give Ford credit as the fold out flat work surface would be incredibly useful for anyone working in the field.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ram continues to beat Ford on the interior materials and ride comfort.

The pickup wars continue!
I'm still taking bets on when RAM supercedes GM trucks 😎

Two words: Government Fleet

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I seriously doubt Ram will ever beat GM's combined brands. They may beat Chevy, but there is a reason GMC was not one of the brands dropped during the bankruptcy.

Reactions: Zagnut27

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts

Two words: Government Fleet
Spin that however you want, but they’ve had the number one selling truck for 40 something years. And they have the capacity to be able to maintain it. Ram and GM have government and rental contracts as well, it’s not like they do not. It’s hard to argue with success.

You can argue which is the best product, but sometimes it’s not the best product that wins. It’s the best price, and the best service and support that gets a “lesser” product into the hands of more customers, whether they be private customers or otherwise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts