Allpar Forums banner

241 - 260 of 353 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,484 Posts
Chrysler 300 was based on the Mercedes E-Class but shared nothing in common.

Let's see what parts are shared.
I'm still trying to find out what exactly everyone is so argumentative about this post for.
Even the link posted as a rebuttal confirms says "because we basically modeled our suspension after that new 211 with a couple of things that we did differently".

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
I'm still trying to find out what exactly everyone is so argumentative about this post for.
Even the link posted as a rebuttal confirms says "because we basically modeled our suspension after that new 211 with a couple of things that we did differently".
Exactly.

Bob Sheaves dared anyone to find a single part on a 300 suspension that is on a Mercedes. Engineers shared design ideas, but that was the extent of it.

That is NOT platform sharing and is probably more similar to what happened with Giorgio to WL....sharing of ideas.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It was the factually incorrect claim that the LX cars were based on the Mercedes W211 car. Followed by back-pedalling defense that writing "car X is based on car Y" really meant "car X is an independent product from car Y, although one component was influenced by that in car Y"... all used to support the untenable position that WL and Stelvio don't share a common architecture, when all the evidence (public and insider) says WL is developed directly from Giorgio.

Too many people on this site lately have a "never back down" attitude, and it's making the place a sh_thole for everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
37,484 Posts
It was the factually incorrect claim that the 300 car was based on the Mercedes W211 car. Followed by back-pedalling defense that writing "car X is based on car Y" really meant "car X is an independent product from car Y, although one component was influenced by that in car Y"... all used to support the untenable position that WL and Stelvio don't share a common architecture, when all the evidence (public and insider) says WL is developed directly from Giorgio.

Too many people on this site lately have a "never back down" attitude, and it's making the place a sh_thole for everyone else.
Then I guess you did not carefully read the link that was posted to dismiss Erik's claim that in fact seems to confirm his claim.
If it makes you sleep better denying any commonality between the Mercedes design and the Chrysler 300 while reveling in similarities between Stelvio and Grand Cherokee - well more power to you.
When you see a post you don't agree with, the choice is yours. Ignore it or let it get to you. But in the end yours is the only behavior you can control.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Having ones account suspended for quite sometime can make one have a change of attitude. I'm speaking from my own experience, several times. I now go out of my way to be as diplomatic as I can. I admit, it's hard to do sometimes, but even a stubborn old german like me can learn.

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
It was the factually incorrect claim that the LX cars were based on the Mercedes W211 car. Followed by back-pedalling defense that writing "car X is based on car Y" really meant "car X is an independent product from car Y, although one component was influenced by that in car Y"... all used to support the untenable position that WL and Stelvio don't share a common architecture, when all the evidence (public and insider) says WL is developed directly from Giorgio.

You have yet to show evidence that anything is shared between WL and Stelvio. We have a quote that WL is an "all-new architecture", not that it is Giorgio.

I am waiting for evidence of platform sharing.

Reactions: Quambi

·
Super Moderator
6,969 Posts
Then I guess you did not carefully read the link that was posted to dismiss Erik's claim that in fact seems to confirm his claim.
If it makes you sleep better denying any commonality between the Mercedes design and the Chrysler 300 while reveling in similarities between Stelvio and Grand Cherokee - well more power to you.
When you see a post you don't agree with, the choice is yours. Ignore it or let it get to you. But in the end yours is the only behavior you can control.
sigh

How is someone supposed to ignore it when the only discussions left on this site are ones overwhelmingly biased against any non-American engineering, or really against anything that’s happened since FCA was formed?

Like I said earlier, we have a new Grand Cherokee now after years of wanting new models and still all we see here is nitpicking. With everything else going on in the world, why would anyone want to come to this site and see nothing a bunch of whining? The point is to escape negativity for a while, not be enveloped by it. A “turn your head and look the other way” approach shouldn’t be required to join this site.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
283 Posts
I am waiting for evidence
Me, whenever people here say it's the truth from, like, Motor1, and Motor1 alone.
Or from "insiders" who're just as afraid of FCA as the old Ford factory workers were afraid of the "Ford Sociological Department", apparently.

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
sigh

How is someone supposed to ignore it when the only discussions left on this site are ones overwhelmingly biased against any non-American engineering, or really against anything that’s happened since FCA was formed?

Like I said earlier, we have a new Grand Cherokee now after years of wanting new models and still all we see here is nitpicking. With everything else going on in the world, why would anyone want to come to this site and see nothing a bunch of whining? The point is to escape negativity for a while, not be enveloped by it. A “turn your head and look the other way” approach shouldn’t be required to join this site.
First, nobody is attacking non-American engineering.

The FACT that WL uses lighweight materials used by Alfa have all been praised here.

Interior design has been praised.

The switch to McIntosh speakers has been praised.

What has not been answered is if this is platform sharing or not. That is a relevant question.

Reactions: James A

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
There's an internal presentation from sometime in 2018 detailing FCA's D-SUV strategy, clearly naming "Giorgio Global" as the platform for Jeep GC, with a variant to be used for Maserati and Alfa vehicles. It included sample cabin renderings to show product variation, and the Jeep example is quite clearly the WL cabin design.

See if someone will show it to you. I don't have a copy anymore - even if I did, some of the details are probably still confidential even after WL's launch (the Maserati bits).

If you don't think it's the second generation of Giorgio, could you offer a plausible alternative?

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
Absolutely no Mercedes parts in any LXs? What about this lawsuit?

And I also remember reading a few years later of FCA redesigning a few parts because Daimler was charging too much...

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
Absolutely no Mercedes parts in any LXs? What about this lawsuit?

And I also remember reading a few years later of FCA redesigning a few parts because Daimler was charging too much...
Daimler was horribly abusive to Chrysler. That is why nobody compares FCA to the Daimler era.

Daimler made Chrysler pay for parts and pay for licensing of parts that Chrysler built themselves, but were designed by Daimler. Merger of Equals, my ash.

That is why so many here showed signs of PTSD when the FCA/PSA merger was billed as "A merger of equals"

The parts in question above were not used in any Mercedes vehicles.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Exactly.

Bob Sheaves dared anyone to find a single part on a 300 suspension that is on a Mercedes. Engineers shared design ideas, but that was the extent of it.

That is NOT platform sharing and is probably more similar to what happened with Giorgio to WL....sharing of ideas.
I'm on the LX forums...already been proven that some of the E-class Mercedes suspension parts bolt on.
The aluminum tension struts from the E55 for example do.
Maybe that's what the engineer means when he says they modeled the LX suspension after the E-class. They just used less expensive stamped steel parts.

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
I'm on the LX forums...already been proven that some of the E-class Mercedes suspension parts bolt on.
The aluminum tension struts from the E55 for example do.
Maybe that's what the engineer means when he says they modeled the LX suspension after the E-class. They just used less expensive stamped steel parts.
AMG parts?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
how many other Brands who have "Multi-link Suspensions" could be bolted on a E55? cause thats something Mercedes created from the jump.

·
Registered
333 Posts
McIntosh - Automotive: Jeep Grand Cherokee L
The McIntosh MX950 Entertainment System comes to the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
When the all-new Jeep® Grand Cherokee L debuts in 2021, it will be the first production vehicle with a McIntosh audio system in almost 20 years.

The system has LD/HP® speaker design to lower distortion and McIntosh Power Guard® for unrivaled clarity even at very high-volume levels.
  • Up to 950 Watts of power delivered effortlessly through 17 channel amplifier
  • 19 speaker luxury audio system for fully-immersive experience
  • LD/HP speaker design for reduced distortion
  • Power Guard for crystal clear audio at high levels
  • Metal ridged control knobs that have helped make McIntosh instantly recognizable around the world
  • Advanced materials for lighter, yet stronger components
  • Legendary McIntosh industrial design – a treat for the eyes and ears
The McIntosh MX950 Entertainment System features 19 speakers in 12 optimized locations to deliver precision sound through every inch of the vehicle. A 17-channel amplifier delivers up to 950 Watts of power.

·
Registered
13,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I will say again....choosing McIntosh was a great move on the part of FCA for this. It helps improve the luxury level of the Grand Cherokee. I hope they use McIntosh in the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer as well.
The "concept" (that was allegedly 90% production ready) they showed last year for the Grand Wagoneer had a premium McIntosh system, so it is almost a certainty that is the plan for the Full Size SUVs

·
Registered
814 Posts
I love the new GC but I don't love that knob... WHY? There are other options it's just so unintuitive. That my only complaint :)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
The "concept" (that was allegedly 90% production ready) they showed last year for the Grand Wagoneer had a premium McIntosh system, so it is almost a certainty that is the plan for the Full Size SUVs
Okay, I'm a few audio systems behind here. What makes this system so good, or better then others?

241 - 260 of 353 Posts