Allpar Forums banner

261 - 280 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I love the new GC but I don't love that knob... WHY? There are other options it's just so unintuitive. That my only complaint :)
I have the knob on my Ram and love it. You don't even have to look at it to know you are in drive or park. It is very easy to use and frees up space. It is much better than the push buttons some manufacturers use. I sometimes find myself looking for it when I drive my Charger.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
I don’t hate the knob but I don’t like it either. The worst was my Durango. The dog would stretch his leg and turn the knob.

Reactions: James A

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,027 Posts
For all they say they learned from Commander, these seats sure don't look much better.. that's why the Wagoneer will still have a market. (Excuse the phone pics, playstation doesn't like it when I try to screenshot off youtube)

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
For all they say they learned from Commander, these seats sure don't look much better.. that's why the Wagoneer will still have a market. (Excuse the phone pics, playstation doesn't like it when I try to screenshot off youtube)

View attachment 79094 View attachment 79095
Yes, I believe you are right. They are targeting those who do not carry 7 passengers all the time, just those who might need it occasionally.

Much like the Commander (and many Durangoes) that third row will remain in the down position most of the time.

Reactions: Zagnut27 and Tony K

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I love the new GC but I don't love that knob... WHY? There are other options it's just so unintuitive. That my only complaint :)
What's unintutive about it? It works in the same sequence that a column shifter operates (left to right), which is the same sequence a console shifter operates (same order, just transverse of the column shifter). It's way more intuitive to anyone used to normal PRND sequences than the center detented ZF style.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
814 Posts
What's unintutive about it? It works in the same sequence that a column shifter operates (left to right), which is the same sequence a console shifter operates (same order, just transverse of the column shifter). It's way more intuitive to anyone used to normal PRND sequences than the center detented ZF style.
No, it's not. It requires developing entirely new mind-muscle connection and muscle memory contrary to what we have traditionally used in shifters - who uses a column-mounted shifter these days anyway? So, therefore, not intuitive. I don't get the insistence on it other than emptying a parts bin or something, it does not seem popular. They switched back to a shifter on the Durango and I'd bet the reason is more than just brand "symmetry" or whatever and the 200 failed and I'd bet the farm that the C pillar wasn't the only unpopular design feature... Will all future Jeeps have a dial? If not, I suspect this won't stick either.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes, I believe you are right. They are targeting those who do not carry 7 passengers all the time, just those who might need it occasionally.

Much like the Commander (and many Durangoes) that third row will remain in the down position most of the time.
While I never doubted that much, I would definitely like to see the actual interior dimensions to compare against my Durango. I also plan on doing a test sit at some point here (which is made substantially more difficult with the current state of things).

In my Durango, smaller adults are ok in the third row for "longer" trips (say an hour or 2). I will say my biggest issue is that the middle row captains chairs do not move forward or back. If they found a way to move the third row back a little so as to allow some second row seat travel, that would be a huge bonus over the Durango. Without the higher towing capacity of the Durango, the WLs won't be on my radar if I need a replacement for my SRT Durango, but at least it could be for others.

To be perfectly honest, I am really hoping the Durango does move up to full size with the Wagoneer twins. Or at least have a Dodge/Ram full size of some sort.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
No, it's not. It requires developing entirely new mind-muscle connection and muscle memory contrary to what we have traditionally used in shifters - who uses a column-mounted shifter these days anyway? So, therefore, not intuitive. I don't get the insistence on it other than emptying a parts bin or something, it does not seem popular. They switched back to a shifter on the Durango and I'd bet the reason is more than just brand "symmetry" or whatever and the 200 failed and I'd bet the farm that the C pillar wasn't the only unpopular design feature... Will all future Jeeps have a dial? If not, I suspect this won't stick either.
Who uses a column mounted shifter these days? Most full-size pickup truck that don't have a rotary knob shifter or manual until maybe recently. As for developing entirely new mind-muscle ocnnection/muscle memory, that's literally true with any change in controls. From experience, it takes a week at most, and you will find yourself trying to shift your older vehicle with a rotary fan switch in the same place after you have been driving the vehicle with the rotary knob. I drove a rental Ram with the rotary shifter in 2015 after my 08 Grand Cherokee got T-boned, for three weeks, and that's exactly how it went down. Still, THE ONLY difference between the knob and the lever is literally the knob and the lever, unless you're used to a car console shifter, then it's just a 90 degree directional change. The sequence is exactly the same, and the PRND is still right there in the "window" in the steering wheel.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and T_690

·
Registered
814 Posts
Who uses a column mounted shifter these days? Most full-size pickup truck that don't have a rotary knob shifter or manual until maybe recently. As for developing entirely new mind-muscle ocnnection/muscle memory, that's literally true with any change in controls. From experience, it takes a week at most, and you will find yourself trying to shift your older vehicle with a rotary fan switch in the same place after you have been driving the vehicle with the rotary knob. I drove a rental Ram with the rotary shifter in 2015 after my 08 Grand Cherokee got T-boned, for three weeks, and that's exactly how it went down. Still, THE ONLY difference between the knob and the lever is literally the knob and the lever, unless you're used to a car console shifter, then it's just a 90 degree directional change. The sequence is exactly the same, and the PRND is still right there in the "window" in the steering wheel.
I wouldn't say "most" do since it seems that only Chevy still does from what I see. The rotary feels disconnected from the car. So do buttons. Don't like them.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
I've had cars with knobs, column shifters, and floor shifters. No push buttons yet.
I'm hoping I won't ever have another knob. I don't hate it but it has never felt natural despite the fact I put a few years in with the knob. I much prefer a column or floor shifter even if it's still just an electric switch.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've had cars with knobs, column shifters, and floor shifters. No push buttons yet.
I'm hoping I won't ever have another knob. I don't hate it but it has never felt natural despite the fact I put a few years in with the knob. I much prefer a column or floor shifter even if it's still just an electric switch.
Drove one vehicle with a push button shifter. It was a RG-33L behemoth in Iraq in 2008. That was an Allison 3000 I'm guessing. The knob would be more natural.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
While I never doubted that much, I would definitely like to see the actual interior dimensions to compare against my Durango. I also plan on doing a test sit at some point here (which is made substantially more difficult with the current state of things).

In my Durango, smaller adults are ok in the third row for "longer" trips (say an hour or 2). I will say my biggest issue is that the middle row captains chairs do not move forward or back. If they found a way to move the third row back a little so as to allow some second row seat travel, that would be a huge bonus over the Durango. Without the higher towing capacity of the Durango, the WLs won't be on my radar if I need a replacement for my SRT Durango, but at least it could be for others.

To be perfectly honest, I am really hoping the Durango does move up to full size with the Wagoneer twins. Or at least have a Dodge/Ram full size of some sort.
I believe the Grand Cherokee L gave priority to second row legroom over the third row (you get about an inch more than in the Durango). This is not a bad thing as most owners of 3-row CUVs rarely have people in the third row....and if they do, it is usually smaller people.

Those who really need to use 3-rows on a regular basis should have a minivan or step up to the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer for that 3rd row legroom.

·
Registered
8,765 Posts

I'm repeatedly impressed with the 3rd row in the Durango, as at 6'2" with my height in my legs, I'm comfy back there.

Now, I wouldn't want to go on a week long road trip, but I agree that I would be good for at least a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm repeatedly impressed with the 3rd row in the Durango, as at 6'2" with my height in my legs, I'm comfy back there.

Now, I wouldn't want to go on a week long road trip, but I agree that I would be good for at least a couple of hours.
Night and day compared to small 3 rows like journey for sure. That is no fun after more than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
From the article: "Yes, you read that right, the mid-size SUV has switched from the old Mercedes M-Class backbone to the latest Alfa Romeo architecture, which should undoubtedly improve handling dynamics."

Funny...do they also say the LX cars are on the Mercedes E-Class backbone?

WK is not the same platform under the ML.....and it was Jeep engineers who helped Mercedes, not the other way around.

Where is Bob Sheaves when you need him?

All I am asking is to show me what is shared between the Stelvio and Grand Cherokee L.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
261 - 280 of 353 Posts