Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, a tip 'o the hat to Patfromigh for the source. Fleet has not issued a 2021 LEV press-kit yet, but we'll use what they currently have out for a start.

As noted previously, testing for MSP and LASD will be done in 2 parts, without spectators, between mid-September and late October.

2021 Charger Pursuit:

As indicated here for some time, there will be 2 models, the AWD V-6, and the RWD V-8.
Both models now use the TF8 automatics, the Chrysler 850RE in the V6, and ZF 8HP70 in the V8. These DO have the column shifter.

Other changes are minor in nature, primarily new colors and a few adjustments to features, most notable of which is the high-speed engine controller available only on the V8 model. This suggests the V6 will be allowed to run wide-open, to hopefully match the performance of the previous V8 AWD models. A V8 model with AWD is not listed. Agencies concerned about V6 performance would do well to review last year's MSP tests, where the large ratio spread of the transmission allowed it to perform equal or better than most competing models. Being a good 250 lbs lighter than the outgoing V8 AWD model, its handling and braking are simply outstanding, along with far lower operating costs.
Actual top speeds will stay about the same, which is 140 mph for the V6, and 150 mph for the V8.

2021 Durango Pursuit/SSV:
Many changes here, some of which actually went into limited production in mid-2020.
Durango has a new dash, with a column shifter, and no center console. Rubber flooring and a vinyl rear seat are standard. Durango Pursuit now comes with the Charger's VSIM, which allows near-limitless customization and control of uplifting the cars with police-specific electronics.

Mechanically, the Durango Pursuit V8 adapts the outgoing JCG transfer case, while the 2-spd version is now part of the towing package.

Most important - with new V-rated Goodyears (255/60VR18) and the huge Charger's BR9 brakes, top speed for the V8 'Rango, according to Fleet, is now 130 mph.

Ram 1500/2500/3500:

We previously noted the available details of the new HD models.
Minor changes to the 1500 overall, mostly to bring its features inline with the Charger and Durango - column shifter, VSIM, rubber floors, no console, vinyl rear seats. The 3.0 ecodiesel is not currently listed as an option.

The 1500, 2500, and 3500 are SSV models. While they are not pursuit-rated, the performance of the 1500 SSV actually exceeds that of the pursuit-rated F150 Responder.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am glad to read that the V8 will be RWD. That is the classic cop car setup.
And the top speeds are great. I've seen too many drivers on freeways speeding like crazy a mile ahead of state troopers in pursuit in SUVs.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am glad to read that the V8 will be RWD. That is the classic cop car setup.
And the top speeds are great. I've seen too many drivers on freeways speeding like crazy a mile ahead of state troopers in pursuit in SUVs.
The RWD V-8 is very popular in southern states. Conversely, agencies here in the north (especially Canada) have been begging for the AWD V-6 for some time.

I do believe the V8 Durango is a fine replacement for the AWD V8 Charger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts