Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From the article:

The world’s most popular vehicle goes electric, hitting 60 in as little as 4.4 seconds.

It’s not just about performance in the Lightning, though. Models with the SR battery tow 5,000 pounds in standard form or 7,700 pounds with an optional package, with a payload rating of 2,000 pounds. The ER can lug up to 10,000 pounds, although its payload is a bit lower at 1,850. That’s likely because the Lightning’s F-150 platform has a maximum gross vehicle weight rating (representing combined vehicle weight and payload) of 7,150 pounds, and the ER battery is almost certainly heavier than the SR. Using some back-of-the-napkin math, we estimate the Ford Lightning to weigh between 5,100 and 5,300 pounds unladen.

Full article here:

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Revealed: 300-Mile Range, Sub-$40K Price (motor1.com)

·
Registered
536 Posts
From the article:

The world’s most popular vehicle goes electric, hitting 60 in as little as 4.4 seconds.

It’s not just about performance in the Lightning, though. Models with the SR battery tow 5,000 pounds in standard form or 7,700 pounds with an optional package, with a payload rating of 2,000 pounds. The ER can lug up to 10,000 pounds, although its payload is a bit lower at 1,850. That’s likely because the Lightning’s F-150 platform has a maximum gross vehicle weight rating (representing combined vehicle weight and payload) of 7,150 pounds, and the ER battery is almost certainly heavier than the SR. Using some back-of-the-napkin math, we estimate the Ford Lightning to weigh between 5,100 and 5,300 pounds unladen.

Full article here:

Ford seems to be way-ahead of other manufacturers, with the introduction of this vehicle.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ford seems to be way-ahead of other manufacturers, with the introduction of this vehicle.
GM has its all-electric pickup on its way.
Tesla and Rivian have shown their pickups.

Silence from Ram.

I am sure something is in the works, but from the outside, it appears Ram is way behind.

One must ask if FCA put any importance on an all-electric pickup when the competition made clear that they would be showing product in the first half of 2021.

I hope we are surprised by Ram, but there have been no mule sightings like we have seen of the Ford and GM all-electric pickups.

Reactions: WJR and thebluegoat

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sub 40k for the starting bare bones commercial truck. Probably the kind you’ll never find on the lot, and dealers will refuse to order. Kind of like the manual no a/c version of the sub compact. From what I’ve heard, it’s 7k over their gas model line up.
imo, electric is a poor choice for a pickup, at least for now. With 300 miles of range unloaded, I’m guessing half for hauling anything. And if you use your truck for work, that’s a non starter.

however, trucks are the new passenger car. Looks like 90% on the road have nothing in their bed, and pretty much never will. yesterday I saw a couple out on a picnic on the nature trail with their two teacup dogs. Used a 3500 cummins dually to get there. Parking lot at work is full of lifted heavy duty’s with ridiculous off-road tires with even more ridiculous drop down hitch’s. perfectly polished and spend their days parked sticking 4 feet out of parking spaces.
i consider this “truck abuse”

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
513 Posts
It's the Mach-E all over again. (Honestly, and the Mistu-based Challenger/L-Body Charger too)
You can buy a new electric Lightning that can barely outrun the 2nd gen, or pay big bucks to be nearly a second quicker, but have nothing of what made the Lightning, a Lightning.
Then again, an actual performance truck is not what this is about, and 300 miles definitely isn't really considered "good" if a cheaper Chevy hatchback EV is only 50 miles off your "extended range" package, for far less.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: WJR

·
Registered
206 Posts
Meh....cant wait until the electrical grid is full of brown&blackouts from too much electricity usage...Road Tolls,price per mile..electric vehicles wont be what people think..Government has control to Brick them once you used your mileage allotment...

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,419 Posts
Didn't they team up with Rivian to get a jump way out ahead?
Yes, I suspect it's a Rivian design, not unlike their prior electric (Magna) and hybrid (Toyota).

·
Administrator
36,419 Posts
Meh....cant wait until the electrical grid is full of brown&blackouts from too much electricity usage...Road Tolls,price per mile..electric vehicles wont be what people think..Government has control to Brick them once you used your mileage allotment...
Before you put on your tinfoil hat, remember we've been here before.
1) Initial electrical buildout (led by Edison General Electric) followed by AC conversion and expansion (led by Westinghouse)
2) Expansion of power capacity to deal with new uses, e.g. factories which had been run by coal/steam
3) Major expansion to deal with television and radio and some refrigerators
4) Major expansion to deal with air conditioning and everyone-has-a-refrigerator

When NYC had its blackouts, I was growing up in the next state over. Seemingly overnight we sprouted long-distance high-voltage power lines. Capacity is being added rapidly now.

The grid operators, outside of one, seem to be pretty good at what they do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From the article:

Full article here:

From the article:

Full article here:

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Revealed: 300-Mile Range, Sub-$40K Price (You can EV anything you want, but until they charge as fast as it takes to fill a gas tank, they will not work for most drivers

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Getting there....as others have mentioned, you really need 500 mile range w/300 mile highway towing range to get full acceptance. But for businesses that use pickup's for local service, this should work perfectly fine.
Or if you don't drive far to campgrounds.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, I would not want a TOTAL ELECTRIC vehicle, and especially a pickup! Now if it were a HI-BRED with an internal combustion Engine, I could go for that.
Ford has the Powerboost hybrid already and it is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
14,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting there....as others have mentioned, you really need 500 mile range w/300 mile highway towing range to get full acceptance. But for businesses that use pickup's for local service, this should work perfectly fine.
Or if you don't drive far to campgrounds.
I think Stellantis is approaching this better with the vans in Europe. They have electrified vans but then use the same platform to make Hydrogen powered vans. They have far superior payload, range and cargo capacity than the electrics....and no new platform was needed. They remove the batteries and install the hydrogen tanks, generator and keep the electric motors.

·
Administrator
36,419 Posts
FWIW, there undoubtedly are people who do not need 200 miles of range. I doubt most original Lightning buyers used them to move plywood around, tow a trailer, etc. This is fine for people who want a 4.4 second 0-60 and demand a pickup truck for commuting. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans who will never tow a damn thing, and never haul anything that wouldn't fit into a Dodge Dart, yet demand pickups for commuting because they like the image. I am sure Ford can find 50,000 of these people every year or whatever their target is.

One backfire of EVs is people will feel free to buy the biggest, heaviest vehicle they can find, as they do with Teslas, and think they are “being green.” AFAIK, the greenest car is still probably the Prius or Corolla Hybrid, overall, ... or at least a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt.

I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
FWIW, there undoubtedly are people who do not need 200 miles of range. I doubt most original Lightning buyers used them to move plywood around, tow a trailer, etc. This is fine for people who want a 4.4 second 0-60 and demand a pickup truck for commuting. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans who will never tow a damn thing, and never haul anything that wouldn't fit into a Dodge Dart, yet demand pickups for commuting because they like the image. I am sure Ford can find 50,000 of these people every year or whatever their target is.

One backfire of EVs is people will feel free to buy the biggest, heaviest vehicle they can find, as they do with Teslas, and think they are “being green.” AFAIK, the greenest car is still probably the Prius or Corolla Hybrid, overall, ... or at least a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt.

I could be wrong.
Nope you're right. Everyone i know that uses a truck goes no further than 50 miles from their house. Some are contractors while some use it for commuting. They fell safe in these big vehicles and just grew up with them so they like them, an electric truck would be perfect for all of them for commuting and for work

1 - 20 of 54 Posts