Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
I love it when I witness people like that in public. It's hilarious 馃槀
I do regret not mentioning the mind control drugs in their toothpaste. There are only three major toothpaste makers, you know. Did you ever wonder why that is?

Registered
I can honestly say that I'm not too concern about Ram and any chatter / no chatter of an electric on the horizon. Electric trucks is a new area. I'd actually think a hybrid electric is a better vehicle. It gives the best of both worlds - gas and electic. Going totally electric means that you kind of limited. Limited in how far you go, limited in where you go - if the distination has a charging station. Most folks don't have the funds to make that kind of novelty purchase. They want something they can use regularly - gas an go.

I'm adding that when Ram does come to the table with a product that usually hit it out of the park.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I can honestly say that I'm not too concern about Ram and any chatter / no chatter of an electric on the horizon. Electric trucks is a new area. I'd actually think a hybrid electric is a better vehicle. It gives the best of both worlds - gas and electic. Going totally electric means that you kind of limited. Limited in how far you go, limited in where you go - if the distination has a charging station. Most folks don't have the funds to make that kind of novelty purchase. They want something they can use regularly - gas an go.

I'm adding that when Ram does come to the table with a product that usually hit it out of the park.
The Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid has set the bar pretty high. With a built-in generator, it is truly a work truck. Ram has nothing even close and the Powerboost is already in customers' hands.

With regard to the F-150 Lightning, one innovative idea is that if you plug your vehicle into your home system, it can act as a backup generator for your house. It could power your house for up to 3 days. I bet Ford adds this to the Powerboost's 7.2 kW generator so the truck can idle and provide power to your house for days. This all works through Ford's home charging station that comes with each F-150 Lightning.

Reactions: saltydog

Registered
Nope you're right. Everyone i know that uses a truck goes no further than 50 miles from their house. Some are contractors while some use it for commuting. They fell safe in these big vehicles and just grew up with them so they like them, an electric truck would be perfect for all of them for commuting and for work
Yeah, those people in their big pickups, just because they have a big truck, they think they own the road, until flying down the highway during rain, snow or ice and they lose traction because of no weight in the rear end, end up doing loop de loops and end up crashing against the guard rail. ;)

Reactions: David S

Registered
I never saw the need for a pickup as long as we had real station wagons, not glorified hatchbacks. Once they started to disappear that became an issue. My first pickup was a 1958 F100 that started out by being totaled into a light pole. Owner lost brakes and drove it into the pole to avoid going into a busy intersection. I got a non-running body and frame from a friend's junkyard and put it together. It was originally a 223 six with a 3 speed, it grew a T-bird special 312 with a 3 speed OD trans. I ran it for a number of years, until we were given a pickup camper. This needed an 8' bed rather than the 6' so I went up to a 1977 F150, again a six, but this time the 300 and automatic. When I found the 300 did ok, but was working pretty hard on the interstates with the pickup camper air drag, It was time to upgrade, found a camper special 390 engine and put that and a C6 in. When we first bought our 5th wheel, it pulled it fine, the brakes just didn't like the extra weight even with a good controller.

Wife had decided to quit her job and take a week off from everything. I took the trailer up to a membership "resort" we had bought into. While she was there the fellow next to her had a truck he wanted to sell, a 1986 F350 crew cab dual rear wheel truck with a 460. I wasn't super keen at first due to the size (22 feet long and 8 feet across), but after driving it, even with some issues caused by the 3 day a week part time "mechanic" in the local Ford dealership it wasn't bad, it actually, if you don't mind the possibility of running the outer dual on the inside of the turn over something, turns a lot tighter than I thought possible for something with a 168" wheelbase. I bought it in 1994 and still have it today. Wife and 5th wheel are gone, she passed away the end of 2005, trailer went to a friend in 2018 as new wife considers a Holiday Inn as "roughing it".

Now that we have a pair of Flexes, they are close to station wagons, just lack a proper tailgate and still do not have the full utility of the 1970 1/2 Falcon or the 1971 Mercury Colony Park (I really miss the "Magic Doorgate" Ford had on those. I still have the truck as the carrying and pulling power are extremely useful.

Reactions: ehaase

Super Moderator
Meh....cant wait until the electrical grid is full of brown&blackouts from too much electricity usage...Road Tolls,price per mile..electric vehicles wont be what people think..Government has control to Brick them once you used your mileage allotment...
1965 Northeast blackout - millions of people
1977 Northeast blackout - millions of people
2011 and since - California rolling blackouts - millions of people
2021 Texas blackout - millions of people

None of these had anything to do with electric vehicles. They all were poorly-designed/maintained/managed grids.
Please stop with the conspiracy theory and fear-mongering.

Registered
The Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid has set the bar pretty high. With a built-in generator, it is truly a work truck. Ram has nothing even close and the Powerboost is already in customers' hands.

With regard to the F-150 Lightning, one innovative idea is that if you plug your vehicle into your home system, it can act as a backup generator for your house. It could power your house for up to 3 days. I bet Ford adds this to the Powerboost's 7.2 kW generator so the truck can idle and provide power to your house for days. This all works through Ford's home charging station that comes with each F-150 Lightning.
Hmmm... According to the Ford Authority Website: The PowerBoost is an extra-cost option on all 2021 Ford F-150 models, but the price depends on the trim level. For instance, opting for PowerBoost on the XL and XLT trims adds $4,500 to the MSRP, while adding $3,300 to the Lariat, $2,500 on the King Ranch and Platinum trims, and $1,900 for the Limited trim.

Depending on which version truck you purchase the option can run you at a minimun $1,900. If folks want a generator, you can just buy one and depending on the need they range from 250 to 1400. The Generator is a great option, but just because Ram doesn't have it, doesn't mean it's at a disadvantage. There are certainly some really great options to be had, the Ram offers comfort, styling and it's workhorse. With those items in mind, personally I'd go for a RAM.

Registered
I'd love for Ram to come out with a diesel range extended hybrid as an intermediate step to full electric. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd think a plug in hybrid with a, say, 1.5l diesel generator could give great power and range without the full electric drawbacks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'd love for Ram to come out with a diesel range extended hybrid as an intermediate step to full electric. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd think a plug in hybrid with a, say, 1.5l diesel generator could give great power and range without the full electric drawbacks.
Emissions regulations have killed diesel.

The complexity and cost of a diesel engine to comply with gov't regulations will drive them from the market. Modern diesels are no longer reliable and long-lasting. In fact, they are plagued with problems due to the complexity of the emissions systems. Their increased cost for compliance erases any fuel economy or efficiency gains by nearly any cost/benefit analysis.

You can thank your governments.

Move along, nothing to see here
Be prepared for the F150 Lightning to absolutely take over commercial and industrial pickup fleets in the next 3 years. Probably 80% of a jobsite pickup's time is spent idling. This will cut fleet fuel consumption drastically while not sacrificing capability. Don't need range when the driving is all in town and less than 50 to 100 miles per day. Plug em in at the yard or at home at the end of the workday and they're good for the next day.

Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C

The complexity and cost of a diesel engine to comply with gov't regulations will drive them from the market. Modern diesels are no longer reliable and long-lasting. In fact, they are plagued with problems due to the complexity of the emissions systems. Their increased cost for compliance erases any fuel economy or efficiency gains by nearly any cost/benefit analysis.

I will indeed thank them when I get another two years of life.
Thanks, governments!
Seriously, I see the Ram 1500 diesel is still here, and the Cummins is undiminished, and appears to have 1,000 pound-feet of torque.

Registered
It's the Mach-E all over again. (Honestly, and the Mistu-based Challenger/L-Body Charger too)
You can buy a new electric Lightning that can barely outrun the 2nd gen, or pay big bucks to be nearly a second quicker, but have nothing of what made the Lightning, a Lightning.
Then again, an actual performance truck is not what this is about, and 300 miles definitely isn't really considered "good" if a cheaper Chevy hatchback EV is only 50 miles off your "extended range" package, for far less.
L body was Chrysler Europe, plus Peugeot or VW for some models, not Asian at all. Body and optional engines were all American.

Super Moderator

And yet...diesels are in nearly every fire truck in the nation, and for the last 25 years in most ambulances. While they have to have additives to control emissions, they certainly seem to be highly reliable. I follow several fire departments closely, which each do 8K to 10K runs per year, as well as one which does 50K runs per year, and I never hear of any diesel engine problems. It's almost always electrical, transmission, or PTO (Power Take-Off) issues.

Registered
FWIW, there undoubtedly are people who do not need 200 miles of range. I doubt most original Lightning buyers used them to move plywood around, tow a trailer, etc. This is fine for people who want a 4.4 second 0-60 and demand a pickup truck for commuting. There are hundreds of thousands of Americans who will never tow a damn thing, and never haul anything that wouldn't fit into a Dodge Dart, yet demand pickups for commuting because they like the image. I am sure Ford can find 50,000 of these people every year or whatever their target is.

One backfire of EVs is people will feel free to buy the biggest, heaviest vehicle they can find, as they do with Teslas, and think they are 鈥渂eing green.鈥 AFAIK, the greenest car is still probably the Prius or Corolla Hybrid, overall, ... or at least a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Bolt.

I could be wrong.

Greenest BEVs:
Tesla 3
Ioniq
Tesla Y
Bolt

Greenest PHEV:
Ioniq

Greenest Hybrid
Ioniq Blue
Prius Eco
Elantra Hybrid Blue

Greenest Conventional:
Mirage
Elantra
Accent
Rio
Civic
Corolla hatch
Versa
Forte FE

Registered
And yet...diesels are in nearly every fire truck in the nation, and for the last 25 years in most ambulances. While they have to have additives to control emissions, they certainly seem to be highly reliable. I follow several fire departments closely, which each do 8K to 10K runs per year, as well as one which does 50K runs per year, and I never hear of any diesel engine problems. It's almost always electrical, transmission, or PTO (Power Take-Off) issues.
They are dead in cars, because cars are held to a higher emission standard than all but the lightest trucks. Diesel isn't going away for big trucks, and it isn't coming back for cars.

I never expect the Cummins to go away. The 3.0 Diesel or another in a 1500 may very well get regulated out of existence in the near future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
They are dead in cars, because cars are held to a higher emission standard than all but the lightest trucks. Diesel isn't going away for big trucks, and it isn't coming back for cars.

I never expect the Cummins to go away. The 3.0 Diesel or another in a 1500 may very well get regulated out of existence in the near future.
Once hydrogen becomes more mainstream, there will be a push to eliminate diesel from large trucks as well.

Reactions: tlc

Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
L body was Chrysler Europe, plus Peugeot or VW for some models, not Asian at all. Body and optional engines were all American.
How you thought that was needed is beyond me, as I was commenting on Ford use of names on vehicles that doesn't fit the lineage, such as the 80's Charger.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts