Allpar Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,511 Posts
Once hydrogen becomes more mainstream, there will be a push to eliminate diesel from large trucks as well.
I agree and I can't really say I object. Diesel particulates are a major issue in cities, and you can't have laws like "If you drive your truck in rural areas you can have a diesel." I can love diesels and still think hydrogen is a better long-term solution. I can love vintage cars and still be glad they're no longer made that way.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
How you thought that was needed is beyond me, as I was commenting on Ford use of names on vehicles that doesn't fit the lineage, such as the 80's Charger.
Given the conditions in 1981 the name fit quite well. Of course they did put the name on a full size 4 door in 2005, so perhaps you have a point, just the wrong example.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I agree and I can't really say I object. Diesel particulates are a major issue in cities, and you can't have laws like "If you drive your truck in rural areas you can have a diesel." I can love diesels and still think hydrogen is a better long-term solution. I can love vintage cars and still be glad they're no longer made that way.
Europe bans old Diesel trucks in some cities.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
532 Posts
Given the conditions in 1981 the name fit quite well. Of course they did put the name on a full size 4 door in 2005, so perhaps you have a point, just the wrong example.
Yes.
Big, powerful V8's and six cylinders going to the rear wheels is more comparable to 4 cylinder only, "wrong wheel drive" 2 doors then a a RWD sedan with big, powerful V8's and six cylinders going to the rear wheels.
🤦‍♂️

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,511 Posts
Charger: the subcompact/midsize/full size two/four door RWD/FWD/AWD four/turbo-four/straight six/V6/V8 three/four/five/eight-speed sedan/hatchback/coupe!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes.
Big, powerful V8's and six cylinders going to the rear wheels is more comparable to 4 cylinder only, "wrong wheel drive" 2 doors then a a RWD sedan with big, powerful V8's and six cylinders going to the rear wheels.
🤦‍♂️
Absolutely, the '70s and '80s cars are the closer comparison. Low to the ground 2 door sport coupe to low to the ground 2 door sport coupe. Same kind of car.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
532 Posts
Absolutely, the '70s and '80s cars are the closer comparison. Low to the ground 2 door sport coupe to low to the ground 2 door sport coupe. Same kind of car.
Now we're calling muscle cars sporty.
Let's just try to make it make sense now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Now we're calling muscle cars sporty.
Let's just try to make it make sense now.
That's exactly what the Charger was. If they weren't trying to be sporty they could have left it at the square Coronet Super Bee stuffing a big block from a full size Chrysler into a midsize 2 door Dodge. That is the essence of muscle car. Charger means something else, a low sporty body work is the essence of what makes it a Charger, even a slant 6, 318 or 2.2.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
532 Posts
That's exactly what the Charger was. If they weren't trying to be sporty they could have left it at the square Coronet Super Bee stuffing a big block from a full size Chrysler into a midsize 2 door Dodge. That is the essence of muscle car. Charger means something else, a low sporty body work is the essence of what makes it a Charger, even a slant 6, 318 or 2.2.
They charged a lot of money to make yet another "sporty" car then, because Dart's did that just fine.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,514 Posts
Why would anyone want a diesel in their passenger vehicle these days? I see talk about engine longevity but most modern gas engines are incredibly reliable and long lasting. In fact a wrecker told me that most modern vehicles (made in last 20 years) that come into the scrap yard have fully functional running engines in them. It's just the rest of the vehicle that's either rusted out to the point of being unsafe or other drivetrain components like the transmission that have failed. He told me if you hop in them and turn the key almost all of them fire.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
They charged a lot of money to make yet another "sporty" car then, because Dart's did that just fine.
Yes, you know where the profits came from. Falcon/Mustang and Valiant/Barracuda were the same thing, or more chronologically correct the Coronet/Charger was the same exact principle applied on the midsize platform. Some of them got big blocks and were muscle cars, but that was far from the whole story.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
And yet...diesels are in nearly every fire truck in the nation, and for the last 25 years in most ambulances. While they have to have additives to control emissions, they certainly seem to be highly reliable. I follow several fire departments closely, which each do 8K to 10K runs per year, as well as one which does 50K runs per year, and I never hear of any diesel engine problems. It's almost always electrical, transmission, or PTO (Power Take-Off) issues.
You haven't been around a TIER IV very much then. If you turn off your engine during a regenerative cycle a few times you may have to replace the whole exhaust treatment system which will set you back thousands. When they fail, power is limited until fixed (think limp mode).

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Ford snags 100,000 F-150 Lightning pre-orders in three weeks
Even though we just learned about Ford's Maverick pickup, its CEO is talking to the New York Times about the company's other new electrified pickup. Apparently the F-150 Lightning pre-order count has already reached 100,000, just about three weeks after the electric vehicle was officially unveiled for commercial and retail customers.

By comparison, Tesla's Cybertruck netted some 250,000 pre-orders for the electric vehicle in just five days, and GMC's electric Hummer had 10,000 pre-orders for an early edition model sell out in hours. Neither truck is available yet, but according to SEMA's Vehicle Landscape Report, Ford's F-Series sold more than 787,000 trucks last year and had 16.1 million trucks on the road in the US. Which models will be more popular once you can actually get any of them will have to wait until next year.

As far as what's next, after debuting a sporty crossover, full electric workhorse and cheaper hybrid utility vehicle, CEO Jim Farley said the Explorer SUV is next on the block for electrification. A hybrid version of the Explorer appeared in 2019 touting the same capacity as a gas model, but considering the Lightning's frunk, it's easy to imagine how much extra storage it could add.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts