Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

No matter the drivetrain, this new Maverick's maximum payload is 1,500 pounds. The hybrid system enables this truck to tow a rather unimpressive 2,000 pounds, enough for a couple jet skis. Fortunately, the EcoBoost engine is available with a trailer-two package that allows the Maverick to drag up to 4,000 pounds, a much more impressive figure, enough for a 21-foot boat or a similarly sized camper.

Full article here:

2022 Ford Maverick is a 40-mpg hybrid pickup for $21,490 - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The base model is FWD Hybrid starting at $19,990.

But it has serious work truck credibility with cargo and towing capacity that is impressive for its size.

And it can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall

Ford now has the pickup market covered from compact to mid-size to full-size.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
512 Posts
A CVT?
Didn't Ford run FAR away from them after trying to use them for a few years because they "couldn't make it right"?

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A CVT?
Didn't Ford run FAR away from them after trying to use them for a few years because they "couldn't make it right"?
e-CVT is only for the FWD Hybrid.

The 2.0T uses the 8-speed automatic found in the Escape and Bronco Sport.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Impressive...so you have a $20K budget...Do you buy a functional pickup or a Hyundai Elantra? Oh and they both get 40mpg.
Question is will Ford be able to make enough of them to keep on dealers lots???
Why a Hyundai Elantra? Why not the Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup? Oh, it is not hybrid and costs more than the Maverick.

Ford did pretty well here, in my opinion.

The FWD Hybrid versions will sell down south. The sub-$20k price is marketing more than anything. But it is one of the cheapest hybrids you can get.

The 2.0T version has decent work cred.

Since the Maverick will be built on the same production line as the Escape and Bronco Sport, they do not need to worry about volumes as much.

Reactions: David S and ehaase

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
512 Posts
e-CVT is only for the FWD Hybrid.

The 2.0T uses the 8-speed automatic found in the Escape and Bronco Sport.
I read that.
Just not believing a CVT was the best idea here.
Hint of sarcasm in my original comment as well, as my uncle has a Freestyle that's on it's original CVT after 400,000 miles, last I knew.

·
Registered
97 Posts
CVTs by their nature are not good at handling torque. Ask any Nissan Pathfinder owner (which I used to be one).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
CVTs by their nature are not good at handling torque. Ask any Nissan Pathfinder owner (which I used to be one).
Well that explains why the hybrid only has 155 tq. per the video posted. Maybe that will help is last? I'm with you though, I passed on a Nissan Maxima years ago due to the CVT it had and my doubts on its long term reliability.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,419 Posts
CVTs are more common than you think. Every Toyota hybrid has one, AFAIK. I am pretty sure that includes the very powerful Lexus models.

Here's the Lexus LS 500h: CVT, 354 hp... and, ah, I see. They combine a four-speed automatic and a CVT somehow. That might explain it.

It's been years since they lent me a Lexus, I recall the last one had a 0-60 of around 4-4.5 seconds and felt like it was doing it in ten because of the utter smoothness.

·
Super Moderator
38,040 Posts
CVTs are more common than you think. Every Toyota hybrid has one, AFAIK. I am pretty sure that includes the very powerful Lexus models.

Here's the Lexus LS 500h: CVT, 354 hp... and, ah, I see. They combine a four-speed automatic and a CVT somehow. That might explain it.

It's been years since they lent me a Lexus, I recall the last one had a 0-60 of around 4-4.5 seconds and felt like it was doing it in ten because of the utter smoothness.
Yes, it's not that CVTs are bad. It's just that some implementations of them are bad.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,419 Posts
Yes, it's not that CVTs are bad. It's just that some implementations of them are bad.
I think Toyota has been very clever with CVTs. The new Corolla, to avoid having a narrow gear range, has a two-speed automatic coupled with a CVT. First gear is handled by the normal automatic, then it's CVT range. (It's a bit like the pasted-on overdrives of years ago. My parents had a Volvo 240 with an electric overdrive; shifting was normal but you pressed a button instead of moving the stick.) See: 2019 Toyota Corolla: Back to Excellence

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Finally we get the dimensions of this midsize pickup. It is the size of the second generation Dakota, it is going to park like a car. A very practical size, and the price is right. Any compact/midsize FWD/AWD cars for Dodge or Chrysler have to start under this price. This is the same size I would expect for a new Chrysler Concorde, except for the height of course.
MaverickDakota 2nd Generation regular cab
Wheelbase 121.1 inches 111.9 in (2,842 mm) (regular cab/6.5' bed)
123.9 in (3,147 mm) (regular cab/8' bed)
Length 199.7 inches 196.0 in (4,978 mm) / 215.0 in (5,461 mm)
Width 72.4 inches 71.5 in (1,816 mm)
Height 68.7 inches 2WD: 64.7 in (1,643 mm)
4WD: 67.3 in (1,709 mm)
Passenger volume 100.3 cubic feet
Cargo volume 33.3 cubic feet

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Why a Hyundai Elantra? Why not the Hyundai Santa Cruz pickup? Oh, it is not hybrid and costs more than the Maverick.

Ford did pretty well here, in my opinion.

The FWD Hybrid versions will sell down south. The sub-$20k price is marketing more than anything. But it is one of the cheapest hybrids you can get.

The 2.0T version has decent work cred.

Since the Maverick will be built on the same production line as the Escape and Bronco Sport, they do not need to worry about volumes as much.
The FWD pickups will sell in the north where it is flat as well. Unlike a RWD pickup that would have gotten very little traction in the north.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At 199.7 inches long and 68.7 inches high, it’s 11.1 inches shorter and 2.4 inches lower than the Ranger.

That is what makes the Maverick a COMPACT pickup and the Ranger a mid-size pickup and the F-150 a full-size pickup.

Measurement comparisons with trucks from more than a decade ago are IRRELEVANT.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
At 199.7 inches long and 68.7 inches high, it’s 11.1 inches shorter and 2.4 inches lower than the Ranger.

That is what makes the Maverick a COMPACT pickup and the Ranger a mid-size pickup and the F-150 a full-size pickup.

Measurement comparisons with trucks from more than a decade ago are IRRELEVANT.
If the definitions can change every year they aren't definitions, just irrelevant marketing hype.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the definitions can change every year they aren't definitions, just irrelevant marketing hype.
There are no definitions in this market except marketing definitions. There is no EPA or other authority that classifies pickups.

Therefore, the measurements you originally cited as "midsize" were marketing creations.

·
Jeepaholic
5,926 Posts
I built a fairly loaded XLT and it came to around $34k. A similarly loaded Ranger would be $10k more. A similarly loaded Gladiator $10k more still. That’s a pretty good price for this little truck…something to think about.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ford is going to pump out massive volume with these. This will resonate with both fleet and retail buyers to a high degree.

A CVT?
Their e-CVTs have been fine after 2016. The CMAX and Fusion hybrid used it.

I read that.
Just not believing a CVT was the best idea here.
Hint of sarcasm in my original comment as well, as my uncle has a Freestyle that's on it's original CVT after 400,000 miles, last I knew.
I find that hard to believe, those were very failure prone. Lucky them.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts