Allpar Forums banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
so, when will they import the RAM 700 from mexico? i know it will need a lot of work, but maybe as a stopgap measure? and it comes in regular cab!

·
Super Moderator
38,113 Posts
While searching around, I found several articles mentioning the Ford Courier, was this maybe being considered at the same time as the Maverick or a 2nd pickup in the Ford lineup?

One article also mentioned that Ford filed for the Courier trademark name 07/22/16.

For a while, the rumor was that Maverick was going to be the name for the small Bronco (instead of Bronco Sport). That's probably why the name Courier was speculated for the smaller truck.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
While searching around, I found several articles mentioning the Ford Courier, was this maybe being considered at the same time as the Maverick or a 2nd pickup in the Ford lineup?

One article also mentioned that Ford filed for the Courier trademark name 07/22/16.

A Rampage style truck for Europe.

·
Jeepaholic
5,939 Posts

That’s the Ford Mustang Mach E Bronco Maverick Courier Sport. It’s part of a sub-sub brand.

:LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
200 Posts
How closely and how quickly could Stellantis compete against this? I'm sure they probably have some European model they could import, or slap a tailgate onto the Compass and call it "Scrambler" or whatever, but wow. Ford is making a big boy move to control the truck market. They have the best-selling pickup in the world, they brought back the Ranger, then they REALLY brought back the Ranger with the Maverick.

·
Registered
200 Posts
so, when will they import the RAM 700 from mexico? i know it will need a lot of work, but maybe as a stopgap measure? and it comes in regular cab!
Would they be able to compete with Ford at this price point, though?

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
All electric Ford F-150 Lightning books over 100,000 pre-orders

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
How closely and how quickly could Stellantis compete against this? I'm sure they probably have some European model they could import, or slap a tailgate onto the Compass and call it "Scrambler" or whatever, but wow. Ford is making a big boy move to control the truck market. They have the best-selling pickup in the world, they brought back the Ranger, then they REALLY brought back the Ranger with the Maverick.
And with all the new Bronco's this year, Ford's got it going on.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
And with all the new Bronco's this year, Ford's got it going on.
Despite the launch issues, the Explorer is a hit. It will be the next vehicle that gets electrified.

Here is what is coming this year from Ford.

Bronco Sport - launched
Bronco
Raptor R
Maverick
Lightning
Electric Explorer
All new Ranger

Thanks to FCA's crack management, we are getting Grand Cherokee L and Wagoneer.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Despite the launch issues, the Explorer is a hit. It will be the next vehicle that gets electrified.

Here is what is coming this year from Ford.

Bronco Sport - launched
Bronco
Raptor R
Maverick
Lightning
Electric Explorer
All new Ranger

Thanks to FCA's crack management, we are getting Grand Cherokee L and Wagoneer.
That's a lot of new models in 1 year.

Reactions: David S

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Never, or when it gets switched to STLA small and production gets switched to Mexico.
If they ever do a truck like Maverick it'll have to be NA specific first. We have special needs for our trucks that other regions won't get for several reasons. Cost is a big one. Not many, except cheap minded fleets, want bare bones strippers anymore.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If they ever do a truck like Maverick it'll have to be NA specific first. We have special needs for our trucks that other regions won't get for several reasons. Cost is a big one. Not many, except cheap minded fleets, want bare bones strippers anymore.
All auto makers need to remove some of the frivolous nonsense gadgets they've incorporated into cars, they will use less chips, and a lot of the "features" are things I don't want.

But it's only going to get worse as the future will be Big Brother watching all autos, more than they already do. :p

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
All auto makers need to remove some of the frivolous nonsense gadgets they've incorporated into cars, they will use less chips, and a lot of the "features" are things I don't want.

But it's only going to get worse as the future will be Big Brother watching all autos, more than they already do. :p
In 5 years, they will be a surplus of "chip" production, driving costs down and ensuring more is used in everything including automobiles.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
In 5 years, they will be a surplus of "chip" production, driving costs down and ensuring more is used in everything including automobiles.
Yeah, we just have to get there.

But with most of the chips being made overseas, and we are at their mercy, why doesn't the US invest in some local chip plants?

·
Super Moderator
38,113 Posts

What frivolous features should be removed? Anti Lock brakes, stability control, rearview cameras, tire pressure monitoring, and much more are required by law.
GM is planning on sending trucks out with the stop/start feature removed. But it could well cause a problem including the possibility of fines when the fleet fuel economy is calculated for the year.

·
Super Moderator
32,423 Posts
Yeah, we just have to get there.

But with most of the chips being made overseas, and we are at their mercy, why doesn't the US invest in some local chip plants?
They are. It was announced last week - in AZ. But the majority will still be overseas, because these are toxic processes and more expensive to deal with here. Regulations are more lax overseas. In addition, labor is cheaper there.
A new fab is in excess of $10B or more these days. It's not trivial to set one up.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
What frivolous features should be removed? Anti Lock brakes, stability control, rearview cameras, tire pressure monitoring, and much more are required by law.
GM is planning on sending trucks out with the stop/start feature removed. But it could well cause a problem including the possibility of fines when the fleet fuel economy is calculated for the year.
Frivolous features that belong in an options package:

Remote control/ keyless anything.
Touch screen
UConnect/Apple/Google
Dual zone temperature control
Automatic lights
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Memory
Cruise control
Steering wheel controls
Illuminated cup holders/ mirrors
Power seat adjustment
Satellite radio
Voice activated anything

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
All of these features, which relate more to safety features, are fine, and I have no problem with any of them.

I also posted an article about GM sending out trucks without the stop/start feature. So if they can eliminate that one feature, how many "chips" are involved in just that one feature? It must be quite a few if they can do without it and that will allow them to build more and complete vehicles to sell.

I can also do without all of the lane departure/lane warning systems. I don't care about them.

There is also a feature in some cruise controls that will maintain a certain distance from the vehicle in front of you. I have a friend that has that on one of his vehicles and he hates it because if he is allowing the system to pace at the set distance behind the vehicle in front of him, and someone invades into his lane between him and that vehicle, the smart cruise control will slow down to maintain the set distance to the new vehicle, then someone invades that space, slows down again to maintain the set distance. He said he feels like he's going backwards because all these other cars around him are going past him, and his smart cruise control is just trying to maintain the set distance from the vehicle in front of him. That would make me want to turn it off.

All of those sensors I'm sure use a large amount of "chips" for, IMO, frivolous, annoying, features.

Also, all of those sensors will probably require some kind of alignment, for instance, if the front bumper is removed, or any body work or repairs done.

I can remove the front bumper skin on my PT in about 15 minutes. Did it a few weeks ago to install new headlights. Reinstall the bumper skin and go on down the road, no sensors at all to have aligned or calibrated. Try not aligning or calibrating the sensors on a newer vehicle with the lane control features and you might find yourself up against the guard rail or on the shoulder as the out of alignment sensors try to control the vehicle. I'm pretty sure on newer vehicles there are probably very detailed procedures and expensive equipment needed by the shop to align and/or calibrate the sensors.

IMO, too much of the vehicle controls are routed through the entertainment system and/or touchscreen. Lose that brain and you can't control anything on the vehicle. Probably very expensive to have replaced. I just need a stereo.

I would like to see a count of just how many "chips" are used in the average modern car of today, how many were used 10 years ago, and how many "chips" were used in cars 20 years ago?

81 - 100 of 116 Posts