Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

At long last, there's a new Ranger in town. More than 11 years have passed since the T6-generation midsize pickup went on sale in Australia and other markets and Ford is now finally replacing it. Adopting an evolutionary design with a Maverick-esque front fascia with C-shaped LED headlights, the new truck hides quite a few important changes underneath its oh-so-familiar skin.

For starters, the wheelbase has been extended by 50 millimeters (nearly two inches) for greater legroom for the three passengers sitting in the back. It was possible by moving the front wheels forward by the same amount, which will also pay dividends as far as the approach angle is concerned to make the Ranger more capable off the beaten path. Also at the front, a new hydro-formed structure allowed the engineers to free up more space in the engine bay for a larger V6 turbodiesel engine.

Full article here:

2022 Ford Ranger Global Model Revealed With V6 Diesel And Wider Body (motor1.com)

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
796 Posts
That front end design works on the Maverick, but all the extra plastic makes the Ranger look worse.
It's definitely going to be a unique truck when it hits the streets though.

·
Jeepaholic
6,337 Posts
I like the new front end from some angles, and not so much from others. The large screen in portrait orientation takes away some of the usability I think, I’d rather have a more squared screen or landscape orientation. I suppose space in the dash dictates how the screen is positioned.

Not bad, but I think Maverick looks better. We’ll see how the ride is, as that is a big complaint for the current model. And also how the actual N American model looks as well, assuming there are differences from this one other than drivetrains.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like the new front end from some angles, and not so much from others. The large screen in portrait orientation takes away some of the usability I think, I’d rather have a more squared screen or landscape orientation. I suppose space in the dash dictates how the screen is positioned.
I agree. Thats why I love how dodge does their radios in their trucks and cars.

·
Jeepaholic
6,337 Posts
I agree. Thats why I love how dodge does their radios in their trucks and cars.
The larger screen in the Explorer is portrait as well, we got the smaller screen which is landscape and I like it much better. Over all size of the screen doesn’t matter much to me. The automakers trying to out-do each other with the size (and number) of the screens is just getting ridiculous. Usability means more than anything.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The larger screen in the Explorer is portrait as well, we got the smaller screen which is landscape and I like it much better. Over all size of the screen doesn’t matter much to me. The automakers trying to out-do each other with the size (and number) of the screens is just getting ridiculous. Usability means more than anything.
I agree as well. It just distracts me while driving when I'm trying to get familiar with the system. To me its the race to put the biggest tablet in the middle of the car lol

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Fords on to a new Ranger since getting back into the mid size truck game and also had a new 1/4 ton Maverick and Ram is still wondering if they need a Dakota replacement?
what in the world are they thinking
FCA neglected so many areas of the company......product updates, new products, new niches, hybrid and electrification.

Now Stellantis is playing catch-up in all these areas.

It makes one wonder where all those "big margins" and record profits actually went.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Personally, I stopped liking V-pattern engines with less than 8 cylinders. Inline engines are just easier to work with and are more dependable. It's not like it makes any difference on higher ride height vehicles. A 4-cylinder diesel would be more preferable for me than a V6.

Ram is primarily an American Continent brand. When it comes to mid-size PU sales, there isn't as much there and the market is already saturated including a Jeep. Stellantis already has mid-size offerings for the global market, but those vehicles won't meet the regulatory requirements in the US. A mid-size from Ram would need 34 mpg combined or have a GVWR of more than 6k lbs. It would also need all the required airbags and cab structural support that aren't required in other markets. Is it possible? Yes, the Rams in Latin America have near this mpg. But I don't think they would be able to consistently sell over 100k of these vehicles yearly to warrant the investment. At this point I think if Ram offers a smaller pickup, it will have electric options to offset the emission requirements.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally, I stopped liking V-pattern engines with less than 8 cylinders. Inline engines are just easier to work with and are more dependable. It's not like it makes any difference on higher ride height vehicles. A 4-cylinder diesel would be more preferable for me than a V6.

Ram is a North American brand. When it comes to mid-size PU sales, there isn't as much there and the market is already saturated including a Jeep. Stellantis already has mid-size offerings for the global market, but those vehicles won't meet the regulatory requirements in the US. A mid-size from Ram would need 34 mpg combined or weigh more than 6k lbs. It would also need all the required airbags and cab structural support that aren't required in other markets. Is it possible? Yes, the Rams in Latin America have near this mpg. But I don't think they would be able to consistently sell over 100k of these vehicles yearly to warrant the investment.
I think the inline 6 is at least in the top 5 best engines ever made. imo

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Curious is the US Ranger will offer a diesel. Didn't GM just kill off the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon?
Where I don't like V engines is when they are mounted transverse. Back in the 90s Chrysler and Acura did it right with the longitudinal mounted V6 in the LH and Legend. I could reach things to work on the Vision we had. Hated working on MIL's Grand Caravan with the 3.8.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Curious is the US Ranger will offer a diesel. Didn't GM just kill off the diesel in the Colorado/Canyon?
Where I don't like V engines is when they are mounted transverse. Back in the 90s Chrysler and Acura did it right with the longitudinal mounted V6 in the LH and Legend. I could reach things to work on the Vision we had. Hated working on MIL's Grand Caravan with the 3.8.
It is very doubtful that the US will get a diesel Ranger.

The diesels are meant for Australia and Southeast Asian nations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts