Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

The Santa Cruz comes standard with a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder. For now, Hyundai is only saying that it makes 190+ horsepower (142+ kilowatts) and 180+ pound-feet (244+ Newton-meters) of torque. The engine connects to an eight-speed automatic with all-wheel drive, and this setup can tow up to 3,500 pounds (1,588 kilograms).

The optional engine is a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder producing 275+ hp (205+ kW) and 310+ lb-ft (420+ Nm). It uses an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic that includes steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters for manually changing gears. All-wheel drive is standard, and the turbo model can 5,000 pounds (2,268 kilograms).

Full article here:

2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Revealed With Little Proportions, Big Style (motor1.com)

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5000 lb towing capacity from a compact unibody pickup puts this on par with the Gladiator that ranges from 4,000 to 6,000 lb towing capacity.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
I could like it if someone offered an aftermarket grill that didn't look like tin foil that went through a garbage disposal.

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
I don’t care for the grill as much, but over all it’s not bad. I like the concept of a vehicle like this, though I wonder how useful that bed is. Maybe a Maverick would be better for what I’d use it for, if not a Gladiator or Ranger.

They’re taking a chance by offering something like this, expanding into a white space area, but I like the effort.

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don’t care for the grill as much, but over all it’s not bad. I like the concept of a vehicle like this, though I wonder how useful that bed is. Maybe a Maverick would be better for what I’d use it for, if not a Gladiator or Ranger.

They’re taking a chance by offering something like this, expanding into a white space area, but I like the effort.
I think the Maverick will be even more capable from a work-truck point of view. I think Ford is aiming for that. If not, the Maverick will fail.

I believe that there is a market for this. Could Hyundai be considering getting into pickups as well?

Reactions: tlc and Zagnut27

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm intrigued. I've been considering something smaller to replace my Ram 1500. When I was truck shopping I was contemplating an SUV and a utility trailer. But, there are some things I use my truck for where a utility trailer would be inconvenient. A small truck like this or the Maverick, or a mid-size truck would likely cover those instances where a utility trailer would be inconvenient, and I could still have a utility trailer for bulkier cargo.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Meanwhile, at the Stellantis design studio and the Stellantis engineering department, staff is busily engaged in: "counting flowers on the wall, playing solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51, smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo".
You have to give them credit for designing the best sticker packages.;)

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
Meanwhile, at the Stellantis design studio and the Stellantis engineering department, staff is busily engaged in: "counting flowers on the wall, playing solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51, smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo".
Now don't tell them they've nothing to do....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Curious if the US will get a version of the Ram 700 or something new to take on this and the upcoming Maverick?
Not on that Brazilian death trap platform with Brazilian production. Ram 1000/Toro would be fine, if it were produced in Mexico instead of Brazil.

ToroSanta Cruz
Wheelbase2,990 mm (117.7 in)118.3 in
Length4,915 mm (193.5 in)195.7
Width1,844 mm (72.6 in)75.0
Height1,746 mm (68.7 in)66.7

·
Jeepaholic
5,896 Posts
I think the Maverick will be even more capable from a work-truck point of view. I think Ford is aiming for that. If not, the Maverick will fail.

I believe that there is a market for this. Could Hyundai be considering getting into pickups as well?
Yup, the pics we've seen of Maverick certainly indicate a more useful "truck". I'm interested for sure to see the final product. I always thought I wanted a Gladiator, and I may still end up getting one, but something else...even something smaller...may fit the bill nicely. Stellantis to date has nothing to offer me if I want to go smaller than a Gladiator for a truck.

Reactions: jimboy

·
Registered
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
195.7 x 75.0 x 66.7 in and 5000 lbs towing. We are definitely dealing with a midsize pickup here.
Nope. It is considered compact. Smaller than Ranger, Colorado and Gladiator.

The towing makes it competitive with the midsize pickups.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not on that Brazilian death trap platform with Brazilian production. Ram 1000/Toro would be fine, if it were produced in Mexico instead of Brazil.

ToroSanta Cruz
Wheelbase2,990 mm (117.7 in)118.3 in
Length4,915 mm (193.5 in)195.7
Width1,844 mm (72.6 in)75.0
Height1,746 mm (68.7 in)66.7
What gives you the impression that the Brazilian platform is a death trap? It shares the small wide platform along with the Compass & Renegade! Are they death traps in your opinion too?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts