Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What gives you the impression that the Brazilian platform is a death trap? It shares the small wide platform along with the Compass & Renegade! Are they death traps in your opinion too?
No, Toro / Ram 1000 shares the small wide platform / SUSW, based on GM/Fiat Small / SCCS.

"The second generation of the Fiat Strada (codeproject 281) is presented on June 26, 2020 in Brazil and is based on the new MC-P modular platform derived from the Fiat Argo with the front MacPherson suspension and part of the cabin taken from the Fiat Mobi model and the rear suspension taken from the brazilian Fiat Fiorino (327)."

Strada / Ram 700 is on MC-P with parts from Argo, Mobi and Fiorino, which are based on 1990s Fiat platforms.

Read the test result from Latin NCAP that prove they are deathtraps:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nope. It is considered compact. Smaller than Ranger, Colorado and Gladiator.

The towing makes it competitive with the midsize pickups.
75" wide, that's wider than a Tacoma 74.4". It is a midsize pickup that lacks a long bed option. "Compact" designation is marketing hype.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nope. It is considered compact. Smaller than Ranger, Colorado and Gladiator.

The towing makes it competitive with the midsize pickups.
It's all about the width.

You clearly aren't thinking things through. Look at 3 1987 Dodge trucks:
Ram D100 short bed 190.8 in (4,846 mm) x 79.5 in (2,019 mm)
Ram D50 Long Bed/Ext. Cab: 193.7 in (4,920 mm) x 65.9 in (1,674 mm)
Dakota 185.9 in (4,722 mm) x 68.4 in (1,737 mm)

If length had anything to do with it the D50 would be the full size pickup.

It is all about width.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, Toro / Ram 1000 shares the small wide platform / SUSW, based on GM/Fiat Small / SCCS.

"The second generation of the Fiat Strada (codeproject 281) is presented on June 26, 2020 in Brazil and is based on the new MC-P modular platform derived from the Fiat Argo with the front MacPherson suspension and part of the cabin taken from the Fiat Mobi model and the rear suspension taken from the brazilian Fiat Fiorino (327)."

Strada / Ram 700 is on MC-P with parts from Argo, Mobi and Fiorino, which are based on 1990s Fiat platforms.

Read the test result from Latin NCAP that prove they are deathtraps:
I think you are comparing the wrong thing here the Strada is not a competitor for the Hyundai Santa Cruz - for starters it has smaller dimensions and lower power engines. If anything competes with it from the Stellantis line-up it will be the Toro - that's closer in size and power.
In any case, I'd like to see anyone using the towing limits with that Hyundai as I suspect that it will be very unstable.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 Ram 2500
183 Posts
It's all about the width.

You clearly aren't thinking things through. Look at 3 1987 Dodge trucks:
Ram D100 short bed 190.8 in (4,846 mm) x 79.5 in (2,019 mm)
Ram D50 Long Bed/Ext. Cab: 193.7 in (4,920 mm) x 65.9 in (1,674 mm)
Dakota 185.9 in (4,722 mm) x 68.4 in (1,737 mm)

If length had anything to do with it the D50 would be the full size pickup.

It is all about width.
Not this again! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
37,863 Posts
The EPA only classifies pickups as small and standard (and then whatever they want to call the heavier ones).
For 2008 forward:
Small pickup is GVWR < 600lbs (<4500 lbs before 2008)
Standard pickup is 6000 to 8500 lbs (4500 to 8500 lbs before 2008)
Then whatever they classify the heavier trucks as.
So any sizing of pickups based on width, bed length, overall length, etc. is someone's subject rules, be it an individual (like myself) or a marketing department.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I think you are comparing the wrong thing here the Strada is not a competitor for the Hyundai Santa Cruz - for starters it has smaller dimensions and lower power engines. If anything competes with it from the Stellantis line-up it will be the Toro - that's closer in size and power.
In any case, I'd like to see anyone using the towing limits with that Hyundai as I suspect that it will be very unstable.
I agree the wrong thing is being compared. Strada is a compact pickup, Toro and Santa Cruz are midsize. It wasn't me who made the comparison, that was Archknight in post #14.

Why do people make such wrong comparisons? Because marketing departments come out with misleading statements like calling the Santa Cruz compact.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The EPA only classifies pickups as small and standard (and then whatever they want to call the heavier ones).
For 2008 forward:
Small pickup is GVWR < 600lbs (<4500 lbs before 2008)
Standard pickup is 6000 to 8500 lbs (4500 to 8500 lbs before 2008)
Then whatever they classify the heavier trucks as.
So any sizing of pickups based on width, bed length, overall length, etc. is someone's subject rules, be it an individual (like myself) or a marketing department.
Or the Japanese Government where compact is defined by length and width under 4.7 m (185") x 1.7 m (67"). So compact is defined by Japanese regulation, that is where the first compact pickup trucks came from (D50/Luv/Courier).

·
Registered
337 Posts
That was essentially a V8 powered Ridgeline, not as small as Santa Cruz and Maverick.
Things can always change as the initial design was there. The architecture and specs can be changed to accommodate whatever they decide to do if they were to even attempt to make something in the category. Besides Ram could use more than just the 1500 and a van.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Things can always change as the initial design was there. The architecture and specs can be changed to accommodate whatever they decide to do if they were to even attempt to make something in the category. Besides Ram could use more than just the 1500 and a van.
They definitely could use a midsize pickup. As for any architecture, specs or styling from a 2006 show car, we are way beyond that now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
They definitely could use a midsize pickup. As for any architecture, specs or styling from a 2006 show car, we are way beyond that now.
They could also use a version of Jeep's new architecture that underpins the new Cherokees to make it unique.

·
Registered
337 Posts
CUSW? Giorgio Global?
I wouldn't think they would bother with either of those. SUSW being lighter than CUSW and has several models that it underpins or even a version of the CMP architecture from PSA. Giorgio would be too expensive for a volume model like that. I only mentioned the new Jeep architecture, because I was under the assumption they created it with scalability in mind.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I wouldn't think they would bother with either of those. SUSW being lighter than CUSW and has several models that it underpins or even a version of the CMP architecture from PSA. Giorgio would be too expensive for a volume model like that. I only mentioned the new Jeep architecture, because I was under the assumption they created it with scalability in mind.
SUSW (Renegade, Compass) is the basis for the Fiat Toro compact pickup. That would be proper to compete against this Hyundai Santa Cruz and the upcoming Ford Maverick. They are all unibody construction pickups.

For a midsize pickup, the Gladiator/Wrangler BOF platform would need to be modified as the Gladiator cabin is too tight and the work specifications too limited compared to the Ford, Chevy and Toyota competitiors.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
127 Posts
SUSW (Renegade, Compass) is the basis for the Fiat Toro compact pickup. That would be proper to compete against this Hyundai Santa Cruz and the upcoming Ford Maverick. They are all unibody construction pickups.

For a midsize pickup, the Gladiator/Wrangler BOF platform would need to be modified as the Gladiator cabin is too tight and the work specifications too limited compared to the Ford, Chevy and Toyota competitiors.
Probably the best basis for a mid size pickup would be an adaptation of the Promaster underpinnings.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Reactions: World14

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler, 2018 Ram 2500
183 Posts
Probably the best basis for a mid size pickup would be an adaptation of the Promaster underpinnings.
I don't believe an FWD bias unibody mid-size truck would go over well in the US market. The truck market in the US is very traditional and is extremely brand loyal. FWD bias unibody compact truck (Toro/Ram 1000) may be ok since it would be more of a lifestyle truck.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts