·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hyundai/Kia is not retreating from the sedan market....

Reactions: jimboy and David S

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
The current Stinger is a pretty car, and this one will be too. I don't know if I'd ever be in the market for another sedan though.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The current Stinger is a pretty car, and this one will be too. I don't know if I'd ever be in the market for another sedan though.
As you know from Allpar members, there are many people who will not buy a CUV. Hyundai/Kia keeps those people "in the family" by offering something appealing and fresh.

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
Yup. Ugly as sin up front, thanks to the Kia grille, but nice from the side. My main problem wtih the Hyundai/Kia sporty cars is the stick heaviness (like pushing through molasses) and terrible safety ratings.

Giulia is increasingly countered by pocket rockets (not using the other term) like the next high-end Civic and this Stinger, going after a shrinking market to get magazine headlines. (Maybe that's why Giulia is a more “pure” Alfa Romeo experience than Stelvio: they knew it wouldn’t sell that well anyway, given the lack of sedan buyers, so they went all-out to distinguish it. The Stelvio, being in a more popular position, was in my hypothesis tuned to be acceptable to more mainstream buyers.)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yup. Ugly as sin up front, thanks to the Kia grille, but nice from the side. My main problem wtih the Hyundai/Kia sporty cars is the stick heaviness (like pushing through molasses) and terrible safety ratings.

Giulia is increasingly countered by pocket rockets (not using the other term) like the next high-end Civic and this Stinger, going after a shrinking market to get magazine headlines. (Maybe that's why Giulia is a more “pure” Alfa Romeo experience than Stelvio: they knew it wouldn’t sell that well anyway, given the lack of sedan buyers, so they went all-out to distinguish it. The Stelvio, being in a more popular position, was in my hypothesis tuned to be acceptable to more mainstream buyers.)
I think the Kia grill looks better than the Giulia with its triangle poking above and below the bumper.

Pocket rockets are motorcycles. Daytona/Laser is the original hot hatch, especially for the US market. GTI didn't get the G60 until 1988 in Europe, and didn't get the the VR6 Corrado until 1992 in the US while the GTI took until 1995 to go from warm to hot in the US.

Kia Stinger was a 2020 IIHS top safety pick, a distinction the Giulia didn't earn.

·
Jeepaholic
5,720 Posts
Looks are subjective, as evidenced by the opinions expressed in these comments, and thats ok. As long as everyone can agree that the Wrangler is the most handsome vehicle everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, then the world can go on as it should.

@Erik Latranyi, yup i am aware that some members here love sedans and wish for more product in that regard from FCA and now Stellantis. Perhaps they will get their wishes, and I hope that they do. I’m more of a Jeep guy, but I can appreciate the attraction of sedans. They’re just not for me, especially since my commute tends to be rather hard on less rugged vehicles unfortunately.

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
It's not a Charger replacement, it is smaller, and a turbo 4 cylinder. It is a base Giulia replacement.
Are you really saying he's not allowed to replace his Charger with one of those?
Does that mean I have to buy nothing but manual transmission small-engined turbo compact sedans for the rest of my life?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I always thought the Stinger looked great. This just continues it.

Hyundai/Kia is not retreating from the sedan market....
All the better for them. They do have the advantage of the Korean domestic market's continued fondness for sedans.

Terrible safety ratings? NHSTA gave the Stinger 5 stars and its a Top Safety Pick from IIHS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just like all the rest of the Korean cars these too are junk.They have major engine issues with these cars and I'm not talking about the bursting into flames for no apparent reason the rest of the Korean cars are being recalled/sued for either here. Hands down the most under built pieces of junk money can buy in America today.Oh for those wanting to argue this comment I suggest you go to some stinger forums from actual owners of the car and read up a bit.

·
Administrator
35,774 Posts
Just like all the rest of the Korean cars these too are junk.They have major engine issues with these cars and I'm not talking about the bursting into flames for no apparent reason the rest of the Korean cars are being recalled/sued for either here. Hands down the most under built pieces of junk money can buy in America today.Oh for those wanting to argue this comment I suggest you go to some stinger forums from actual owners of the car and read up a bit.
Kia is close to the top of the JD Power 3-year ratings.
Honda forums are full of people saying Civics have all sorts of problems. We have people here noting problems with Mopars. Anecdotes aren't data.
Not that I actually own a Hyundai or Kia.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts