Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
15,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

Stellantis, the world's fourth-largest car manufacturer, dethroned the mighty Volkswagen Group last month in Europe to grab the sales crown. With new products on the horizon, the automotive conglomerate with 14 brands under its corporate umbrella is looking to keep its sales crown in the coming months. After the unveiling of the Peugeot 308 hatch and its equivalent Opel Astra, the 308 SW is spawning a German counterpart as the Astra Sports Tourer.

Full article here:

2022 Opel Astra Sports Tourer Debuts To Add German Touch To Peugeot 308 SW (motor1.com)

Reactions: DustDevl340 and tlc

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
To me, it looks somewhat like the Subaru outback..(a good thing). Just raise the ground clearance a little to help disguise that it's a wagon, and Dodge really has something here. I think the car could also fit as a Chrysler, and I would lean in that direction since Chrysler's need for product is much more desperate.

In any event, I think the 2.0 Litre Inline 4 would be much better suited to North American needs / wants / tastes.

As for a name, how about something like "Aruba" or "Caribbean"? (if they can get the rights to the names).

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
To me, it looks somewhat like the Subaru outback..(a good thing). Just raise the ground clearance a little to help disguise that it's a wagon, and Dodge really has something here. I think the car could also fit as a Chrysler, and I would lean in that direction since Chrysler's need for product is much more desperate.

In any event, I think the 2.0 Litre Inline 4 would be much better suited to North American needs / wants / tastes.

As for a name, how about something like "Aruba" or "Caribbean"? (if they can get the rights to the names).
That looks so much better than a Subaru Outback.. Stylish rectangular grill instead of the ugly oversized hexagonal one on the Subaru. Then the headlights are well integrated with the grill, unlike the detached and over styled ameba Subaru headlights with 6 jagged corners just to let you know it is Japanese. The improvements continue on the sides with a well integrated character line and fender flare lines instead of the Subaru which starts with a straight line at the rear that bends in the middle of the front door and then disappears before the front fenders. The Subaru continues with weird cladding above the door sill which starts out small and then kicks up to large before returning again to small, the Opel mercifully does not have any such cladding. Taillights on the Opel at least know to stay flush with the car, The Subaru has the chunky taillights that stick out from the body, again very Japanese looking. Of course the Opel would look even better with some Dodge racetrack LED taillights.

As for a name, we have a small wagon here with sharp lines, Aries, LeBaron or T&C are appropriate, full size Monaco and Magnum names are not, please leave the chunky Caliber in the history books.. Definitely stay away from the Caribbean names, they aren't American, in keeping with production Dodge or Chrysler names, and I cringe at the thought of the ads that marketing would come up with for Caribbean names, don't go there.

As for the engines, the 177 HP 1.3T GSE is perfect for the base engine. The PHEV with 180 or 225 HP 1.6T are perfect for the optional models.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Chrysler Concorde.
Same problem as with Monaco and Magnum, those are much larger vehicles. DS9 would make a much better Concorde.

New Astra 4,374 mm (172.1 in) x 1,860 mm (73.2 in) x 1441 mm (56.7 in), 2,675 mm (105.3 in) wheelbase 14.9 cu ft cargo
New Astra Wagon 4642 mm (182.8 in) x 1860 mm (73.2 in) x 1480 mm (58.3 in), 2732 mm (107.6 in) wheelbase 21.5 cu ft cargo

Astra Wagon would make a good T&C
88 T&C98 ConcordeDS9
Wheelbase100.4 in (2,550 mm)113.0 in (2,870 mm)2,900 mm (114.2 in)
Length179.0 in (4,547 mm)209.1 in (5,311 mm)4,930 mm (194.1 in)
Width68.0 in (1,727 mm)74.4 in (1,890 mm)1,850 mm (72.8 in)
Height53.2 in (1,351 mm)55.9 in (1,420 mm)1,460 mm (57.5 in)

Astra hatch would make a good Dodge Shadow.
Wheelbase97.2 in (2,469 mm) (1993-1994)
Length171.9 in (4,366 mm) (1993-1994)
Width67.3 in (1,709 mm)
Height53.1 in (1,349 mm) (1994)

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
That looks so much better than a Subaru Outback.. Stylish rectangular grill instead of the ugly oversized hexagonal one on the Subaru. Then the headlights are well integrated with the grill, unlike the detached and over styled ameba Subaru headlights with 6 jagged corners just to let you know it is Japanese. The improvements continue on the sides with a well integrated character line and fender flare lines instead of the Subaru which starts with a straight line at the rear that bends in the middle of the front door and then disappears before the front fenders. The Subaru continues with weird cladding above the door sill which starts out small and then kicks up to large before returning again to small, the Opel mercifully does not have any such cladding. Taillights on the Opel at least know to stay flush with the car, The Subaru has the chunky taillights that stick out from the body, again very Japanese looking. Of course the Opel would look even better with some Dodge racetrack LED taillights.

As for a name, we have a small wagon here with sharp lines, Aries, LeBaron or T&C are appropriate, full size Monaco and Magnum names are not, please leave the chunky Caliber in the history books.. Definitely stay away from the Caribbean names, they aren't American, in keeping with production Dodge or Chrysler names, and I cringe at the thought of the ads that marketing would come up with for Caribbean names, don't go there.

As for the engines, the 177 HP 1.3T GSE is perfect for the base engine. The PHEV with 180 or 225 HP 1.6T are perfect for the optional models.
NA 2.0 GME might work for a base Dodge Aries version, not appropriate for a Chrysler LeBaron/T&C.

Stick the '89 Lancer style grill in the Opel visor with a Fratzog in the center, use the '89 LeBaron GTS style grill in the Opel Visor with the Pentastar in the center for the Chrysler version. Racetrack taillights on the Dodge, '93 Concorde style taillights on the Chrysler.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Avenger, Stratus, Spirit?
Better than Monaco, Magnum, Intrepid or Concorde, because they are only midsize car names, not large car names. However they are still one size class too large. This is a Peugeot 308 under the skin, a compact. Avenger should go on the Peugeot 508, Intrepid and Concorde on the DS 9.

Stratus and Cirrus are inextricably linked to the cloud platform, I don't think they should reuse them. Spirit is an AMC name, I am not so keen on reusing those either except for Hornet due to the cars movie. Choose something that says Dodge and only Dodge.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Any lighting you see on this car, especially at the rear, would have to be different, and a whole lot plainer, for a USA product.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Any lighting you see on this car, especially at the rear, would have to be different, and a whole lot plainer, for a USA product.
Different, yes, plainer, definitely not. With such a narrow strip of red reflective material on the Opel it is probably mandatory for larger taillights on any US version.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,097 Posts
That looks like you put Dodge // on a Camaro Photoshop.

That said, the rear view is very nice on this thing. But do we not have enough euro hatchbacks/wagons that would/could work under Dodge with the right powertrain?

Honestly the Mexican "Neon" would do well if it had that 2L turbo from the Wrangler. (I enjoyed how that drove in the Rubicon we rented)

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

That said, the rear view is very nice on this thing. But do we not have enough euro hatchbacks/wagons that would/could work under Dodge with the right powertrain?

Honestly the Mexican "Neon" would do well if it had that 2L turbo from the Wrangler. (I enjoyed how that drove in the Rubicon we rented)
Peugeot 308 III is a new model, the Fiat Tipo is a 2015. Fiat Tipo is a crude, cheap car currently with a 120 HP engine as the maximum option. Peugeot 308 has a wide range of engines up to a 225 HP PHEV model. Peugeot 308 is the #11 selling compact in Europe for the first half of this year, Tipo was down at #18 as befitting a model that hasn't had a serious update in 7 years. EMP2 v3 under the 308 is the building block for STLA Medium. If they are going to federalize one the obvious choice is the Peugeot 308.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

Yes it looks like a little Camaro from the front, like the Opel Manta did, like the Dodge Challenger did, like the Dodge Daytona did, like the Opel GT looked like a little Corvette. It looks like an Opel, which is a great look for a Dodge given what its past coupes have looked like. Far better than Fiat styling.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,097 Posts
Yes it looks like a little Camaro from the front, like the Opel Manta did, like the Dodge Challenger did, like the Dodge Daytona did, like the Opel GT looked like a little Corvette. It looks like an Opel, which is a great look for a Dodge given what its past coupes have looked like. Far better than Fiat styling.
Styling is subjective. Some people don't like Camaro, some people like Fiat. To each their own. Lol

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,097 Posts
Peugeot 308 III is a new model, the Fiat Tipo is a 2015. Fiat Tipo is a crude, cheap car currently with a 120 HP engine as the maximum option. Peugeot 308 has a wide range of engines up to a 225 HP PHEV model. Peugeot 308 is the #11 selling compact in Europe for the first half of this year, Tipo was down at #18 as befitting a model that hasn't had a serious update in 7 years. EMP2 v3 under the 308 is the building block for STLA Medium. If they are going to federalize one the obvious choice is the Peugeot 308.
Like I said, with the right drivetrain. Cheap isn't a bad thing sometimes. People are getting priced right out of the new car market right now, at least in the US. I dare say that a good cheap car would sell in droves of it was the right kind of cheap, and if dealers weren't obsessed over the whole "market value markup" BS on anything they think will sell well.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Like I said, with the right drivetrain. Cheap isn't a bad thing sometimes. People are getting priced right out of the new car market right now, at least in the US. I dare say that a good cheap car would sell in droves of it was the right kind of cheap, and if dealers weren't obsessed over the whole "market value markup" BS on anything they think will sell well.
I want to see affordable, not cheap.

Peugeot 208. Starts at 84990 BRL which is $15,032 USD. Now available with a 1.3 GSE. That's affordable

Dodge/Fiat Neon/Tipo "The Neon starts at just 250,500 Mexican pesos, which is a mere $13,500 in U.S. currency." That's cheap. No longer to be found on the Mexican Dodge site. So it is kind of academic. Also gone from Argentina. With a 110 HP engine it would have sat right between the Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa in the US market, less desirable than the Versa.

A lot of people on here against the affordable EMP1/CMP platform coming here. I think it could make a great Dodge Daytona and Chrysler LeBaron coupe with the 177 HP 1.3T GSE.
The cars need to get American styling with a longer rear overhang, they should be 177" long on that 100" wheelbase with liftbacks, not an ugly 160" long Golf clone Peugeot 208 or Opel Corsa F. I can do without the intentionally weird Citroen C4 and DS 3 as well, neither of which stretches to 177" long.

Aeolus Yixuan shows how to do it right on the platform.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts