Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

There aren't any details regarding powertrains, but as you can see, the version featured here is a plug-in hybrid. The pre-facelift version combined a turbocharged 1.6-liter gasoline engine with a pair of electric motors for a total system output of 296 horsepower and 450 Newton-meters (332 pound-feet) while bringing all-wheel drive in the process.

Opel says it will release more details in the coming weeks ahead of fall when customer deliveries of the German-built Grandland facelift will commence.

Full article here:

2022 Opel Grandland Facelift Revealed With Substantial Changes (motor1.com)

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a Rav4/CR-V competitor.

Opel is offering a lot of standard safety technology that FCA typically made optional.

I can see pairing Opel with Dodge and building this in North America.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

Opel is offering a lot of standard safety technology that FCA typically made optional.

I'll go a step further by suggesting to rebadge that Opel as a Dodge or call it as "Dodge-Opel" as a nod to tease GM when they referred Opels as "Buick-Opel". ;-)

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll go a step further by suggesting to rebadge that Opel as a Dodge or call it as "Dodge-Opel" as a nod to tease GM when they referred Opels as "Buick-Opel". ;-)
I like the marketing and tactical thinking you put forward!

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

Nice clean up of the design. The hood with the straight edge in front makes conversion to a Dodge much easier. The interior looks great, no tablet glued to the dashboard look. I can see this being exported from Germany just as the Renegade is exported from Italy.

Just use Dodge, no Dodge-Opel. No Chrysler-DS for those models.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,420 Posts
They cannot use the Opel name in North America as part of the deal, but there's nothing stopping this from being a Dodge or Chrysler.

·
Jeepaholic
5,927 Posts
I recall saying before that this was an interesting vehicle because it offered a plug in hybrid version combined with eAWD capability, and I had commented that Pacifica was supposed to have an eAWD option which had never arrived. Of course a few former posters here accused me of being negative…but they packed up their cry bus and went elsewhere, so I guess it’s ok for me to once again say this is an interesting vehicle and could make an interesting Chrysler or Dodge.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It would make an ideal next generation Chrysler, it's a little too refined for Dodge, style wise, and even as a Chrysler it needs work, style wise, IMO. Back and sides are boring, and the roof is absolutely generic. Give it a longer (surfboard) type roof like the 55 Nomad, a little more overhang, front and rear, some taillight/tailgate design they didn't buy from wal-mart, a lift gate with a cutout like the magnum, some decent wheels and tires along with a more aggressive stance. Then you have a Chrysler, not this milque toast euro design.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
This is nice looking. That could easily be a Chrysler or Dodge here, a Fiat in South America. Is there a Peugeot or DS model for this?
Here is your guide to PSA SUVs:

EMP1 SUVs:
DS3 Crossback = Opel Mokka = 101" wheelbase
Peugeot 2008 = 103" wheelbase
Aeolus Yixuan GS = 105.5" wheelbase

EMP2 SUVs:
Grandland = Peugeot 3008 = 105" wheelbase
C5 Aircross = DS 7 = Peugeot 4008 = 107" wheelbase
Peugeot 5008 = 112" wheelbase = 3 row version

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It would make an ideal next generation Chrysler, it's a little too refined for Dodge, style wise, and even as a Chrysler it needs work, style wise, IMO. Back and sides are boring, and the roof is absolutely generic. Give it a longer (surfboard) type roof like the 55 Nomad, a little more overhang, front and rear, some taillight/tailgate design they didn't buy from wal-mart, a lift gate with a cutout like the magnum, some decent wheels and tires along with a more aggressive stance. Then you have a Chrysler, not this milque toast euro design.
It is perfect for Dodge, the new visor front end is harmonious with the old Camaro and Manta, and thus the Challenger and Charger as well. Definitely a Dodge look instead of a Chrysler look.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,420 Posts
I have no problem with the styling, nor do I think the roofline is bad. A lot of this stuff comes out of aerodynamics, after all. The fewer changes they have to make, the cheaper it can be. I'd remove the center nick from just above the midgrille, swap out the Opel logo for whatever fits, and call it a day. (well, really, I think I'd want the top grille to be more even, rather than bulging in the center.) Heck, I would even keep the repeater lights in the front fenders... my only real change would be a thicker blue grille cover so American license plates will fit. I'm not saying it's the most gorgeous car ever made, but I am saying it's more than good enough.

(Actually I'm not too fond of the emphasis on the wheel wells, or the thick 3D hood, which I've seen on ... the old Compass? Caliber? Can't recall now. But to save money on tooling and redesign? Sure, go for it!)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Could be a nice Chrysler Portal to define the Chrysler future (phev or electric ). Now we have ANYTHING new from Chrysler so it will be better than nothing. Van segment is on a serions decline and 300 is... well is it still exist ? Bring Opel or Peugeot as son as you can before the extinction of Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Whatever they decide to do, stick with it. Don't sell it for a short time, simply for sale to unsuspecting customers. Then discontinue it before most even have it paid off. It, and the parts for it, become orphans, especially here in the states. I'd rather they do it right, make the decision to use common parts across all regions so if you need parts eventually you won't have wait to have them shipped from wherever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts