Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,271 Posts
The first sentence in the article says it all.

We recently visited Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) in San Antonio, where the Tundra and Tacoma pickups are built, and were surprised by how many full-size Detroit-bred pickups filled the employee parking lots. Ram 1500s seemed to outnumber Chevy Silverados and Ford F-150s slightly in our unofficial tally, but the sight of all these newish competitors illustrates the extent to which Toyota's own full-sizer, the 15-year-old second-gen Tundra, has become uncompetitive. The completely new TNGA GA-F platform-based 2022 Toyota Tundra aims to win back buyers—with or without an employee discount. Does it have what it takes to dent the market penetration of America's perennial best-selling vehicle from Ford or Ram's multiple Truck of the Year winner?

Toyota has a long way to go to catch up to Ram, Ford and Chevrolet in terms of a full size pick up.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
The first sentence in the article says it all.

We recently visited Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) in San Antonio, where the Tundra and Tacoma pickups are built, and were surprised by how many full-size Detroit-bred pickups filled the employee parking lots. Ram 1500s seemed to outnumber Chevy Silverados and Ford F-150s slightly in our unofficial tally, but the sight of all these newish competitors illustrates the extent to which Toyota's own full-sizer, the 15-year-old second-gen Tundra, has become uncompetitive. The completely new TNGA GA-F platform-based 2022 Toyota Tundra aims to win back buyers—with or without an employee discount. Does it have what it takes to dent the market penetration of America's perennial best-selling vehicle from Ford or Ram's multiple Truck of the Year winner?

Toyota has a long way to go to catch up to Ram, Ford and Chevrolet in terms of a full size pick up.
Toyota has been slowly building its truck credentials. Each new generation has sold better than the last.

Toyota is in this for the long term, not short term margins or just profits.

Now that Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner and Land Cruiser (and the Lexus) all share the same TNGA-F platform, the cost savings will be massive for Toyota, allowing them to stay in the pickup market even longer.

The new Tacoma was just seen high-altitude testing in Colorado.

Reactions: Adventurer55

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
37,420 Posts
Yup. Toyota will just keep on working at it until they win. This time they're not so confident as to have twin plants for the Tundra, but they are planning to slowly build up their reputation. Anyone who underestimates them does so at their own risk.

I can't believe anyone bought the old Tundra, though, after, say, 2012.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to see a comparison test between the Tundra SR Crew Cab (base engine with "lower output") and a Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab Hemi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Classic would definitely win the best looking award. The Tundra can't even come close.
I don't disagree (the 4th Gen's look is a classic), however, looks are subjective. I guess what I'm getting at is: Toyotas are expensive, Ram's quality is climbing and you'd think they'd have all the "kinks" worked out of the DS platform by now. So, other than blind loyalty to Toyota and their high resale value, why go with the Tundra over a nicely priced Ram 1500? Is it the dealership experience? Badge snobbery?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts