Allpar Forums banner

2024 Ford Ranger For North America Spied Without Any Camouflage

1306 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  GasAxe
From the article:

It's probably no real surprise that the Ranger destined for North America looks like the global model. Actually, it might be some surprise, considering we've seen camouflaged trucks around Ford's world headquarters in recent months. The coverings suggested some styling tweaks would set these pickups apart from the rest, but that's not the case at all. The only notable differences we see on this camo-free Ranger include a sliding rear window, a backup camera, and a high-mount brake light. The camera and brake light help affirm this is a truck for America.

That's not to say it's a pure carbon copy. The grille in this truck – believed to be a Lariat trim level – appears to have a slightly different pattern versus the global model. The front fascia, while having the same body lines, looks a bit smoother overall. It's worth noting that we've also seen camouflaged Rangers with longer beds, a feature that could be optional for buyers in the States.

Full article here:

2024 Ford Ranger For North America Spied Without Any Camouflage (motor1.com)
Reactions: Airbornebarndoor1
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Jeepaholic
7,152 Posts
There are some similarities to the current design, it’s more of an evolution of the styling as opposed to a complete restyle. I kinda like the current one better, but I haven’t seen the new one in person yet. I think it’ll be a better offering than the current Ranger, though the current one isn’t bad by any means.

Here is the current one for comparison:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Looks like a refresh more than a redesign.
It is an evolution of the T6 platform....the same evolution that underpins the Bronco. That is why there will be a Ranger Raptor coming as well.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Well Ford has had a honeycomb grille shape when they introduced the tenth gen F-150 in 1997 and again the in the 11th generation. Not really a copy of Ram who didn't do it till way later...

As for this Ranger, I need to see more before I can say much. They did add some Maverick design cues to it. I think I prefer the Maverick still so far. Will be interesting to learn more about this new Ranger.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,610 Posts
Well Ford has had a honeycomb grille shape when they introduced the tenth gen F-150 in 1997 and again the in the 11th generation. Not really a copy of Ram who didn't do it till way later...

As for this Ranger, I need to see more before I can say much. They did add some Maverick design cues to it. I think I prefer the Maverick still so far. Will be interesting to learn more about this new Ranger.
Ram’s honeycomb grille started in the 1994 Ram 1500.

“The periphery of the Ram Pickup grille was molded ABS plastic, painted or chrome plated depending on the model; a honeycomb grille texture of high impact TPO plastic was heat-staked to the outer molding. The texture was resistant to impact by stones and other flying objects.”

· Registered
2,927 Posts
Ram’s honeycomb grille started in the 1994 Ram 1500.

“The periphery of the Ram Pickup grille was molded ABS plastic, painted or chrome plated depending on the model; a honeycomb grille texture of high impact TPO plastic was heat-staked to the outer molding. The texture was resistant to impact by stones and other flying objects.”
Mercedes Benz had honeycomb grille in 1900 so i guess Ram ripped them off

· Registered
12,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honeycomb styling was started by bees.

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,610 Posts
Now we're moving goalpost? Didn't know designs had to revolve around what other trucks did and if any companies did it on anything but trucks it was invalid. Just pointing out ram wasn't the first with a honeycomb grille.
Fine. Ram was the first modern vehicle with a honeycomb grille. Or the first vehicle after 1920 with a honeycomb grille, if you prefer. I can say Ford stole it because it was a unique feature of the Ram pickup of the time, and Ford also took other aspects of the 1994 Ram's styling, inside and out.

More to the point,

NWbyNW said:

It's a copy of Ram because Ford was not copying Mercedes and neither was Ram. Ram didn't copy it - I'd be pretty sure they had no clue about the Mercedes.

· Jeepaholic
7,152 Posts
Designers and engineers migrate between the various brands, so that’ll contribute to one vehicle resembling another as well, and we know Ford has ended up with former Chrysler employees…not the least of which (by far!) is Bob S. The Chevy HHR was a copy or evolution of the PT Cruiser’s styling, because it was the same guy from Chrysler who did the styling IIRC.

Reactions: tlc and Doug D

· Registered
5,981 Posts
So on Rams with slat grills they’re ripping off Ford? Patent it or GTFO with the petty styling arguments. Anyhow, everyone knows real Ram trucks have cross hair grills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts