Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
370,000 miles
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can see more angles in the motor1 article.

Chevy seems to be moving right along with this truck. I'm pretty interested to see their Multi-Flex Midgate with pass-through, as well as how well their automatic adaptive air suspension works (to see if it drops down far enough to ease ingress/egress and to easily access items in the bed). They're targeting 400 mile range, and will offer a dual-motor RST version with over 650 HP and under 4.5 seconds 0 to 60 time.

The above prototype looks pretty drab, but the planned final version looks much nicer:

I hope Ram is making more progress on their electric 1500 than is apparent.

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts
None of these 'stylish' trucks seem to have a useful bed, or conventional utility. I can see why some call them 'lifestyle' trucks. I need a rectangular 4x6.5 ft bed that can accommodate a cap. Not a glorified SUV with the back roof cut off.

·
Registered
15,600 Posts
Ford seems to have done really well with the F-150 Lightning. I have been watching TFL EV on YouTube and their purchased Lightning. Towing showed the weakness of electric, but overall, the Lightning is a truck first and foremost. It just happens to be all-electric. They remark that it drives like an F-150 and feels like an F-150.

I think that will be important for many EVs to not be so creative, but familiar for those coming from ICE vehicles. The Cadillac Lyriq will be totally unfamiliar to most Cadillac owners with things like the glove box can only be opened through the infotainment screen. Shifting into gear requires motions of a steering stalk. While this appeals to techies, this will not appeal to Cadillac's mostly older customers.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,908 Posts
Shifting into gear requires motions of a steering stalk. While this appeals to techies, this will not appeal to Cadillac's mostly older customers.
Is there an actual stalk or do they just have you make motions?

·
Registered
15,600 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I think it’s the Prius syndrome. For the longest time, people didn’t buy that many hybrids unless they looked different like the Prius (not the first gen).
Now people expect normal cars with hybrid power trains. Seems auto designers think the oddities must be what people want in EVs now.

Reactions: tlc

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the spy shots, as I'm pretty sure it's a mule. No point bashing a mule as anything could change.

The problem I'm seeing is the Silverado becoming more like the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,139 Posts
What's wrong with a column shift?
Didn't you know that a child can reach up there and change gears on you? Reason for Chrysler push button system, which is unsafe because someone could reach into your window and push your buttons. No system is perfect. Let the engineer have some REASONABLE options please.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Didn't you know that a child can reach up there and change gears on you? Reason for Chrysler push button system, which is unsafe because someone could reach into your window and push your buttons. No system is perfect. Let the engineer have some REASONABLE options please.

When I saw the 2021 Tahoe shifter, I thought it was a shift slider, which I think would've been interesting.

·
370,000 miles
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More than looks, I ask:
1) How long is the bed, in feet rather than in perception?
2) What is the capacity?
Not sure about capacity, but length is 5 feet 11 inches. It becomes a little more interesting with the Multi-Flex Midgate, and Multi-Flex Tailgate. Here is Chevy's illustration:

Additional storage is found in the frunk:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Even uglier in the wild. Small bed like the Avalanche.
Gosh that is an un-goshly blob of blobbiness. No defining lines. Just a mass of soft, uncontrolled flabs. It's like dropping blubber on the floor and letting it's folds wobble out and then using that design for your final product.
The truck looks like it's melting...
Art Darkness Font Illustration Painting

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts
Six foot bed isn't all that small. Place with the midgate as the illustration shows and you get a ten foot bed. Not quite the toy its styling may suggest.
It's too small for everything I use my truck for. And carrying anything with the "midgate" out just means that things can fall out the corners, and it also prevents the use of a cap to lock things inside and keep them safe from weather. It's innovative, but useless to me in most situations.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,908 Posts
It's too small for everything I use my truck for. And carrying anything with the "midgate" out just means that things can fall out the corners, and it also prevents the use of a cap to lock things inside and keep them safe from weather. It's innovative, but useless to me in most situations.
I suspect you can still add a cap. It is starting to sound like a minivan is better as a truck for your purposes, though... unless you need towing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts