Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help wanted from 225 fanatics,
I am usually involved with Mopar V-8's, thus I rarely engage with 225's ( Eng VIN Code is "H"). Here is issue on this monster of an 85 B250, (yes I love my Vans, currently have 5) with Carb bowl filled engine purrs like a kitten till its empty, but fuel pump, which is new, doesnt produce vacuum to draw from tank nor pressure to fill carb?? stuck my finger in to feel cam lobe for it and felt no rise on the cam?? (repeated this process several times after "bumping" the engine). On my bench in a vice, fuel pump produces correct vac and pressure according to Factory Manual. NO I have not YET put a dial indicator to it to actually see if a lobe exists. So suggestions wanted, and will update this as progress is made. I did buy a used 225, its delivery here is unknown right now as I write this as my shipper has truck issues so maybe next week ( 6-17 thru 21st??)

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
With pump installed and both lines off, crank engine for 5 seconds with finger over inlet to pump. You should feel a vacuum. If felt, problem is from there back to tank. Leak in line to pump would allow air to break suction. OR filter in tank is plugged. If no vacuum, pump is bad or no lobe or pump lever may be off to side of the lobe.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
On top of that, I've heard that it's possible to install this fuel pump with its arm incorrectly positioned against the cam, so that it's under rather than on top of the cam, such that the pump arm is jammed and won't move. So it doesn't end up riding against the lobe of the cam and produce pressure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On top of that, I've heard that it's possible to install this fuel pump with its arm incorrectly positioned against the cam, so that it's under rather than on top of the cam, such that the pump arm is jammed and won't move. So it doesn't end up riding against the lobe of the cam and produce pressure.
I have done that on a V-8 before but by the time you get to the 2nd bolt to install the pump wont get high enough to line up with the hole. on the 225 the cam is low enough and if you look at the pump lever that goes against the cam lobe, just not something that is possible, really, am not being mean or funny, pump arm has 3 bends in it and the end of the arm is like 1.5 inches from back of pump body. Good suggestion tho, and appreciate your input.

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
"If you replace the fuel pump, loosen the bolts a couple of turns only, and turn the engine over by pulling/pushing on a fan blade while wiggling the pump.
When engine is turned until the pump feels maximum loose, the pump actuating arm is off the cam lobe, and in that position it is easy to fit a new pump, and easy to remove/refit the bolts without putting any strain on them. It si imperative that the actuating arm is riding above the cam lobe, it is possible to install the actuating arm of the pump UNDER the cam lobe by mistake if you are not careful."

Fuel pump bad or something else? - Slant Six Forum (at http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42930 )

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quickie update here, I located my dial indicator but looks like a road trip to get a new magnetic mount for it?? cant find that. Also am waiting on arrival of a junkyard 225. Coming up out of FL. My hauler friend, has had issues with his F-350 and its currently under repair. The Local FORD dealer hung him out for near $10K for initial work and wanted another $8K or so for more needed work. Well he had it taken to a local independent repair shop so he is waiting also on it to be finished. ( he contracts off uship for his hauling work and travels all over the eastern and central areas of the US.) The 225 he is bringing I am waiting on, to see if it is age frozen or if it is locked up solid?? Of Course I'll try the oiling cylinders etc and see if it will free up. More later when something occurs, LOL

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Quickest repair is an electric fuel pump if you can't get the dial indicator to check to see if the cam lobe is indeed worn out. I will have to admit, it is the first time I have heard of this, but again, strange things happen all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quickest repair is an electric fuel pump if you can't get the dial indicator to check to see if the cam lobe is indeed worn out. I will have to admit, it is the first time I have heard of this, but again, strange things happen all the time.
Thanks for the input Dana, your right in nearly 45 yrs of Mopars, and multiple 225's, this also was a first for me. I gave thought to installing an electric, but decided I am to much a purest to do that. The engine I have"coming" am hoping will be here this week?? My hauler had serious issues with his F-350, and to his text about it I told him to go buy himself an old Dodge 300/350 which wouldn't cost him as much to upkeep in the long run. So between now and my engines arrival suspect I will get to Harbor to get the mount I need for my Dial Indicator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quickie update here, awaiting my hauler to bring my junkyard 225 to me from FL, he has had some serious issues with his hauler and his Local FORD dealer ( over $900 just to diagnose his fuel issues). Its finally repaired and he had other MAJOR deliveries to get done and I agreed that my engine need was not an emergency, simply a project to get done when I can. Suspect it will be here this week sometime. In the mean while, likely a Tuesday trip to nearby Harbor Freight for Dial Indicator mount. Just for ya'lls viewing pleasure I am posting a picture of this rescued Van LOL. Other than needing a bath, its not to bad. More later

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts