Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
300,000 miles shouldn't be a problem and you could probably go much further with good maintenance. I had the heads off my 3.0 just before it hit 200,000. There was not only no ridge at the top of the cylinders, but I could still see cross hatch marks on the cylinder walls. I hear that the steel used in the Mitsu engines is pretty good. I may end up taking mine to near 300K if it works out.

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
neon98rt said:
is the water pump and timing belt hard to do as in . is there much room to work? would lowering the engine be a quicker way to do it?
On a 3.0 transverse engine, it can be a nuisance. You have to support the engine, remove the passenger side engine mount and possibly raise and lower the engine a small bit to get the bolts holding the front plate out. Those bolts are different lengths, so make sure they go back in the same holes. I just punch some holes in the bottom of a cardboard box to match the front plate and shove the bolts into the holes in the box. That way I never mix them up. Also, you have to unbolt the power steering pump and AC compressor. There is always one difficult bolt to get to below the T-Stat housing area and a phillips head screw on the back of the water pump housing that is often frozen.

It is really a significant amount of labor in a tight working area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.