Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3.0L in my Sebring Convertible is starting to drive me a bit bonkers...

Yes, you read that right, I said "3.0L" and "Convertible," and no, that's not a typo. Several years back, I swapped the motor after a catastrophic failure of the 2.5L... The 3.0L in my Sebring came from a 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse and is the SOHC 24V variety.

This issue - lifter tick - suddenly appeared quite a while back and has varied in intensity, but never gone away, ever sense. I have attempted just about everything suggested online for this issue, all to no avail...

At one point or another, most re-attempted within the last month or so, I've:
  • changed the oil.
  • changed the weight of oil from 5W-30 to 10W-30.
  • added Marvel Mystery Oil.
  • added Seafoam.
  • added Lucas Oil Stabilizer
  • removed, cleaned, refilled, checked, and then reinstalled the lifters.
  • checked the oil pressure with a gauge.
  • let the engine idle for hours, shutting it off and letting it cool periodically.
  • revved the engine to 3000 RPM gradually and let it fall over and over again.

Nothing seems to work.

Of curious note, it seems, from reading other online posts, that most people experience this tick when the engine is cold, but it subsides with the engine is warm. Mine behaves in the opposite manner. Start the engine with cold oil and it purrs like a kitten. As the engine warms up, the tick returns. 10W-30 is the heaviest recommended oil, per Chrysler, for the very similar 2.5L (6G73), but my engine almost acts like it needs 10W-40? Cleaners don't seem to be changing anything, and the engine isn't dirty or filled with sludge. Oil pressures are good (10-20 PSI at idle, 70-80 at 3,000 RPM). The engine runs great. Fuel economy is as good as it's supposed to be.

I'm stumped.

Aside from changing to a heavier oil, I'm running out of ideas...

I followed the factory service manual's steps for cleaning and inspecting the lifters, and all of them checked out. (None were damaged, flattened, stuck, etc.) I guess I could replace them just for the sake of replacing them, but I've heard that the aftermarket ones are hit and miss as far as quality goes...

Again, I wonder why my engine ticks when warm, but not cold. This seems to be the opposite of most every other case. Am I looking in the wrong spot?? Is this something else??

Of note, when the engine is warm and ticking, if I repeat the Mitsu-recommended gradual revving to 3,000 RPM and then letting the engine fall to an idle, the ticking does subside, at least momentarily. Perhaps that is a clue??

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Bonus points are awarded for solutions.

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
I have seen ticking that comes and goes as the lash adjusters rotate in the rocker arms. I would take a closer look at the adjusters. They can wear a flat spot, erode or mushroom at the tips. Eventually they can damage the valve stem tips.
correct-setup.jpg
proxy.php
valveends.jpg

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None of mine looked like that. They were all normally shaped, showed no signs of wear (only lack of varnish in contact areas), all centered over the valves, and all held pressure.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try a MOPAR oil filter No (Fram) from Walmart
Thanks, but I don't think that's the issue. I never use Fram and all the non-Mopar filters I use have the same check valve in them. Again, the noise doesn't occur on startup, and that's what the better filters would fix (by holding oil in the top of the engine).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts