Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing on eBay there are 3.3l rods available but according to the FSM the wrist pins are press-fit. Pressing the pins out of the pistons is traditionally believed to be a one-way trip to the scrap bin for the piston, so is there really no legitimate way to replace only a connecting rod? Anyone have any luck with pressing the pins? Worth a try? Will a shop even entertain the thought?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I've had a machine shop do it for me on an older engine when I spun a rod bearing. I don't see why it can't be done on a 3.3 with a shop that has the proper press and saddle. Talk to an automotive machine shop in your area and see what they say. I don't believe that there will be a problem. This is usually a pretty inexpensive job but the shop may have a minimum charge to do anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much, just glad it's not hopeless. At least I can buy a piston and rod assembly if I need to, there are some salvage pulled whole units showing up on eBay.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
First time I ever heard a pressed piston is only good for one press and then scrap bin. As long as the piston is not damaged with the press, it is the rod itself that is holding the pin, not the piston, so as John said, as long as it is done properly and the piston not damaged with the press, you could push the pin through the rod a hundred times without any problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts