Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of working out a cold air intake in place of my air filter and I'm a little confused about the oxygen sensor.

The filter/breather is easily worked out but I honestly don't even know if the car has an oxygen sensor, looking online at part sites just to find diagrams to confirm what I believe to be the oxygen sensor is yielding no helpful results. Here's a kind of vague picture of what I mean I fuond online:

It's the first wire that connects to the duct the filter connects to, I'll get a better picture if anyone needs one.

Just hoping to find some details and maybe even some alternatives to working this out, any help would be fantastic.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Your air intake already is cold air. Why change it? You will find no real advantage.
The O2 sensor (looks like a metal spark plug) is in the exhaust pipe or catalytic converter. The 2-wire black plastic sensor in the intake air stream is an air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that information helps a lot. The plug I'm looking at is the air temperature sensor.

Regarding the filter I would still like to provide a larger filter in its place and am wondering what alternatives there would be to remove/replace the sensor, while removal doesn't exactly seem like an option.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The stock paper air filter already has a huge surface area. More than the engine could ever breathe through at both high speed and full throttle. Just make sure that it's clean.
No real advantage to going to K&N or some other aftermarket filter (it's just all marketing claims anyways).
K&N can actually allow more dirt particles to pass through it which may accelerate engine wear. It is also a very low efficiency filter compared to stock (see link).
Stick with OEM for best results. A lot of research from the car companies went into choosing the best filter for your car under all conditions, even after it gets a little dirty.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts