Allpar Forums banner

3.3l to 2.7l swap

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  chuzz 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Caravan with the 3.3l i'm not finding any reason I can't swap in a 2.7l from a 2002 Sebring... They both bolt up to derivatives of the A604. Sebring being the 41TE and the Caravan having the six speed version dubbed 62TE... Apparently only the Bell housing bolt patterns and valve body assemblies are different?

Is a swap like this possible?
Will the computer have problems with this change? Any suggestions?

Ultradrive - Wikipedia (at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultradrive )

#3 ·
Don't have to worry about emissions here and I'm contemplating it because the van leaks like crazy with almost 190,000 miles and the Sebring is sitting in my yard doing nothing as I can't get the title from the loser I bought it from. It has 88,000 miles on it and runs great.

#8 ·
I agree it would be a poor swap, physically different and electronics on top of it, once the 3.8 is removed and regasketed it will be a better and easier job than trying to alter older electronics and exhaust into the engine bay than would be worth it. The 2.7 was never in a van engine bay to begin with and you will have more gremlins trying to make it fit than you could shake a stick at.

#11 ·
What happened to your old 3.8L? Is it rebuildable? You are better off finding a good used 3.8L. There should be plenty 2006-2010 long blocks around.

#13 ·
The small and high revving 2.7 would be very unhappy in a TC.
- nothing wrong with the 2.7 but it doesent work well in a big and Heavy TC.

#14 ·
I agree that replacing the 3.8 if it's on its last legs would be the route to go, simply because it'd be easiest.

As for the Sebring... You can't find or get the title for the Sebring - have you looked into what your state requires to file for a title in your name? Sometimes you can state the car was abandoned on your property and after X days it becomes yours. There are other routes as well. For example, you may be able to file for a mechanic's lien on the car, showing you did work and it wasn't paid, then the car becomes yours. Yes, it may be a DMV hassle, but it's up to you to decide what the biggest hassle is - swapping the engines, rebuilding/replacing the 3.8, or going thru some DMV paperwork and research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.