Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I pulled my 3,8L engine out recently to solve oil leak under the cylinder head and few other minor things. Engine was overhauled in 2012 and FEL-PRO HS9830PT gasket set was used and BTW cylinder heads was torqued carefully. Have anybody an idea what could cause such massive oil leak ?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,650 Posts
It looks awfully dark and dried for engine oil. Are you sure that it isn't sealer?
I have had poor service from Fel-Pro (Blue) head gaskets in the past and no longer use them.
It looks like a head gasket failure from the outside. I think that these require MLS head gaskets and not fibre gaskets anyways.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm absolutely positive, there's no sealer used. With MLS you mean Multi Layer Steel gasket ?

·
Super Moderator
23,650 Posts
Yes. This is the '96?
I can't look the OEM part up until later, but I think that is what they superseded to.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is. It's built in '96 but it's '97 model year I think. Here is the VIN 1B4GT54L9VB264480.

·
Super Moderator
23,650 Posts
I find a Mopar 4448949AB (Lt) and 4448950AB (Rt) as the latest OEM head gasket for yours. I can't find an image detailed enough that confirms whether it is MLS or re-inforced fibre.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
This is interesting since there are not any oil passages on this side of the head. Do you have oil in the coolant?

Reactions: pt006

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is interesting since there are not any oil passages on this side of the head. Do you have oil in the coolant?
No, there's nothing in the coolant and no water in the oil either. Good point with the oil passages BTW.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Im puzzeld by the fact that theres oil above the head gasket, also leaking headgaskets usually doesent spew much so things doesent end up everywere.
- looking at the last pic makes me wonder if it isnt the intake gaskets/ valley seal that leaks.
- or valve cover gasket that leaks out on to the intake maifold.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
23,650 Posts
It does look more like a lower intake manifold gasket oil leak. There should be a soft rubber rectangular seal at the front and rear of the gasket to prevent oil leakage. Is that in place?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It does look more like a lower intake manifold gasket oil leak. There should be a soft rubber rectangular seal at the front and rear of the gasket to prevent oil leakage. Is that in place?
The seal was in good condition before I remove the gasket. This is a mystery for me. Even the gasket looks in good condition.

It looks like there's no other way how to find out what causes the leak then removing the head.

·
Super Moderator
23,650 Posts
I would remove the heads and replace all the gaskets while you are at this point of disassembly. You might see something there.
I would not use the orange RTV sealer as that can dissolve in the presence of hydrocarbon (gasoline), even the fumes:
http://www.devcon.com/prodfiles/pdfs/fam_tds_376.pdf
I would use instead:
04318035_420.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Me too,but I'm trying not to spend another $100 + import fees for set of gaskets. It looks like there's no any other way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I discovered something, but I don't think it's bad gasket.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
It seems like you have a coolant leak through one of the headbolts...sealant time!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am assuming that you insured that the heads are not warped (put them on a marble table and tried to slide a shim under them in various locations).
Rebuilding a 3L on my 89, I had one heck of a time with the valve cover gaskets (Fel Pro) of whch I could not stop a heck of a leak. I threw them in the can and purchased a set from the Dodge service department and they were good the first try. I noticed that the Fel Pro gaskets were much harder in durometer.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
From post # 16 , there is paint on the top of the head gasket on the tranny side. If paint could seep in maybe oil could seep out? Valve color is different too. Other side of the head gasket may give you some clues. I've seen rusted bolts like that on old air cooled engines. I can't explain it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
cyl 3 and 5 seems to have a problem, it could be due to coolant enetering the combustion chamber.
It a bit late to do a compression test now...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.