Allpar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 dodge power ram 150. I just installed the first part of a 3 inch body lift wtich lifts the cab. I have yet to install the linkage extender but even with that connected up and in park, my truck wont start. My radio, gaguges, ect light up when i turn the key. starter has power going to it and is fairly new. fuses seem to be fine. My break and E-Brake indacatore on my dash light up everytime i turn my key. I tryed to re-ground body with frame with a wire. Please any adivce would be asome.

Thank you so much -Steve

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
So, does it crank and not start, or does it not crank?

·
Super Moderator
735 Posts
You didn't happen to unplug your reverse/park neutral switch???

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Left side of the transmission case, above the valve body and near the shift linkage. Three-prong plug that also controls the backup lights.

If it's plugged in, try starting it in Neutral.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If the linkage extension isn't in then it's pulling on the gear selector lever on the transmission hard enough to pull it out of alignment on the neutral safety switch...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i worked on it all today, still wont start. my reverse/park [background=transparent]neutral[/background] switch is pluged in. Wont crank over, even in neutral. Could this whole problem be because of how i didnt install that linkage yet? i dont under stand what els could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Maybe. Unhook the linkage, and move the lever on the valve body (side of the transmission) into Park. Then try starting. Also check all ground connections from battery to body and firewall to engine. Check the starter connections carefully and check all fuses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already had disconnected the linkage. Checked all grounds and wires. as well as starter wires. All i can think is, maybe i disturbed some wires i had instaled for my KC lights. I had a issue with lossing all power to my truck early this year because of my wireing to my kc's. a meachninc told me i fried a wire and he replaced it with a fuseble wire. i dont know where the fuse is for it tho. Do you guys think that might be a problem?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
A fusible link (wire) IS the fuse itself. It has a section in it that's designed to burn open if a short circuit draws enough current. It should be visible if it burned open.

·
Super Moderator
735 Posts
Well if you can jump your solenoid wire and starter wire on the starter and it turns the motor over than its neither the starter or a grounding issue (don't have the key on incase accidental starting
), if the only thing you changed was adding your body spacers there is a chance maybe the your starter relay came unplugged, my 84s is on the firewall if im not mistaken and is what ultimately decides that you may start your truck. Also make sure if you have the big master plug at the firewall everything is tight as its possible the ignition switch signal won't get to the starting relay...

Other things to check would be to make sure you didn't lose connectivity between your starter relay and starter, and possible fuses...

Register at auto zone.com go to vehicle repair guides, enter your vehicle description, go to chassis electrical, and than Wiring Diagrams, if you don't have a manual

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
How's your grounding? If there's supposed to be a body ground and the new bushings have effectively negated it then that could be your problem...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts