Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got an 87 d150. Originally a 225 truck. Now a 318. Bought truck with swap done already. What I've done: new alternator. 3 wire internal fan style. New regulator. Replaced lean burn system, due to death, with points dizzy for a cheap get it running for now fix. Read somewhere that to make it work you hook the points wire to the negative side of the coil and remove factory negative wire from the coil. Now that's out of the way. Slowly draining system every time I drive. Wondering if I got the two field wires backwards? Should I have left factory neg term wire on coil? And do I need an external ground wire mounted to alternator? There currently is one. This wiring looks like a rats nest btw....

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Don't you just love having to correct other peoples mistakes? LOL

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
Yes, glad to hear you got it fixed. I had the same problem several years ago, the extra field wire used to power the Lean Burn sensors and then terminated at the positive side of the coil. Took me a couple hours to wiring diagram track it down.

Reactions: wraith587

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, glad to hear you got it fixed. I had the same problem several years ago, the extra field wire used to power the Lean Burn sensors and then terminated at the positive side of the coil. Took me a couple hours to wiring diagram track it down.

Yea that's what was done here. I had to do the same. Ended up removing a total of 6 or 8 unused wires in the process. To give you an idea of my rats nest: Here's a pic.
Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

1 - 6 of 6 Posts