Allpar Forums banner

300 vs Charger (softest ride?)

777 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  13 200 3.6
I am considering getting a base model V6 2023 Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger. I want a ride quality that comes closest to the old-school ride of big rear wheel drive American sedans of the 70s - 90s: Smooth and floaty with lots of lean in turns. Between the two cars I slightly prefer the 300's exterior because it has the classic big grill, although I don't like the transmission shift dial in the 300 and prefer the Charger's traditional shifter. (A steering column shifter would be great but I don't think that's a possibility.)
Can anyone confirm if the 300 has a softer suspension than the Charger in base trim? Or are they pretty much identical in ride quality?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
17,316 Posts
The softest ride would probably be the base 'Touring'. The 17" wheels may have more sidewall cushioning (taller tire) than the 20" wheels.
The sporty 'S' would ride the hardest, probably followed by the 'C' & the 'Touring L'. The 300 may have more sound deadener than the Charger.
My advice is to test drive 2 or 3 different ones. The tires might make the biggest ride difference.
download(Open in a new window)

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,616 Posts
You can't get floaty or lots of lean in on either car ... you'll have to be content with better handling than any rear drive American sedan made in the 1970s to 1989... but ImperialCrown as always is correct. Tires are pretty big in terms of ride.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I’m imagining there would be plenty enough on lots for a test drive of each. If you are looking at used, then most likely there will be no problems trying them out. Imperial is correct that ride will change across the trims.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nowadays you don't hear much about "smooth ride" as a selling point.
From the responses thus far it sounds like the 300 might have a slightly smoother ride than a Charger and a more quiet interior.
Base price 2023 Charger: $32,645
Base price 2023 300: $33,545
$900 difference.
I am thinking about ordering one with no options! I want to hit as close as possible to the base price or lower. That means 17" wheels which I think will help a lot in my quest for the old school ride.

· Super Moderator
21,376 Posts
One thing to consider is the OEM tires may not be a great comfort choice. In 2022 the 300 Touring RWD used a Michelin tire - maybe 2023 will use the same. It probably has a decent ride. The Firestone and Bridgestone OEM tires I’ve experienced don’t ride as well.

· Valued Member
3,698 Posts
Nowadays you don't hear much about "smooth ride" as a selling point.
From the responses thus far it sounds like the 300 might have a slightly smoother ride than a Charger and a more quiet interior.
Base price 2023 Charger: $32,645
Base price 2023 300: $33,545
$900 difference.
I am thinking about ordering one with no options! I want to hit as close as possible to the base price or lower. That means 17" wheels which I think will help a lot in my quest for the old school ride.
Black and white are the only no charge paint options.............all other colors are extra.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious if one car is larger than the other in base trim.
From what I found online the 2023 Chrysler 300 dimensions: 199" length, 75" width, 59" height.
Evidently the Charger size varies. It can be shorter than the 300 by 1" or longer by 2". I am guessing the high performance Chargers are bigger.

· Valued Member
3,698 Posts
Curious if one car is larger than the other in base trim.
From what I found online the 2023 Chrysler 300 dimensions: 199" length, 75" width, 59" height.
Evidently the Charger size varies. It can be shorter than the 300 by 1" or longer by 2". I am guessing the high performance Chargers are bigger.
Here is a beautiful Charger SXT but it has the customer preferred package so you won't want it.

· Registered
146 Posts
Having back issues early in life due to things that happened beyond my control, my advice would be as they stated go with the smaller size rim variant that you can get. When it comes to tire choices, go with the lowest speed rating possible. For instance, if you can legally go with t speed rated tires, you'll want to go with that instead of h, z, w. Also look through tire reviews, and if people complain about it being mushy, that's the one you're going to want. The softer the sidewall the better it's going to ride, just remember that you'll need to be careful concerning potholes when you do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts