Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were there any differences across the '99 - 04 model years in the front passenger seat in terms of the ability to adjust (raise and lower) the front or rear or both ends of the seat?

I'm just wondering if for some years or some trim levels you had the ability to independently raise/lower both the front and rear of of the seat vs just the front? Or possibly not even both?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Were there any differences across the '99 - 04 model years in the front passenger seat in terms of the ability to adjust (raise and lower) the front or rear or both ends of the seat?

I'm just wondering if for some years or some trim levels you had the ability to independently raise/lower both the front and rear of of the seat vs just the front? Or possibly not even both?
In my 99 and it's not the highest trim level, I can adjust both ends on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean can the seat bottom move straight up or down but the back not move up or down? The seat bottom can tilt independent of the back. I'd have to re-connect my battery to check but I don't think it moves up or down independent of the back.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've acquired a 3'rd 300m recently. Car #2 and 3 both seem to have either non-functional passenger seat switches OR these seats or switches simply do not have the functionality (by design) as the driver's seat. The seat switch can move back and forth (moving the seat forwards and backwards) but they don't seem to have the ability to independantly raise and lower the front and back of the seat. These are '01 and '04 M's. My '00 m passenger seat has full functionality similar to the driver's seat, but either there is something different about the '01 and '04 (by design) or there is something wrong with them. I will re-examine them tomorrow and try to describe the situation more clearly.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,035 Posts
I see a RF (passenger-side) basic 4-way and the optional 6-way power seat. The 6-way could be had with memory or non-memory.
The 4-way and 6-way all came heated.
The drivers seat could be had with 8-way control if it had the power lumbar support.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ah, so they did differentiate the passenger seat. Presumably counting the number of motors under the seat would indicate the number of "ways" ? 2 motors = 4 way, 3 motors = 6 way?

I see that the '04 has only 2 motors. One for moving it forwards/backwards, the other is for the seat-back. So there is no way to raise/lower the seat. Is there no manual way to adjust the seat height?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My "new" '01 M has 3 motors under the passenger seat. The seat can move back and forth, the seat back can tilt, but only the front of the seat can be raised and lowered. The seats do have SRS air bag decals on them, this car was ordered with an optional $750 upgrade (top-half of the steering wheel is smooth wood-grain plastic) and also claims to have "genuine california walnut" dashboard trim (it does look different, can't tell if it's actual wood). I understand the seats were replaced from a donor car at some point, so the original passenger might very well have been 8-way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts