Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm new here but a long time Mopar guy. In January I bought a used 300M Special with 130k on the clock. I had the timing belt, water pump, changed immediately at a chain shop. I drove this car lightly until September when I went out one Saturday evening, turned the key and well.... bad news. The engine coughed while cranking and would not turn over. I've had two local guys listen while it tries to start. It makes a click when it tries to crank and both think this means it has "jumped time" or had the timing belt fail. Does this diagnosis sound right? And should this have happened less than 2000 miles after having it installed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. What year? Any fault codes (like P0340 cam sensor)? Does the 'ck eng' light illuminate when you roll the key on?
If it just 'clicks' and the engine doesn't crank over, it sounds like the starter motor circuit? As long as the engine can be manually rotated and is not frozen, I would check for why the starter is inhibited. Does the PCM see the Park/Neutral TRS switch? Battery terminals clean? It should be similar to this:
81055af8.gif
If it does crank/spin over, but does not fire up, I would check belt timing. Line up the marks and make sure that they are in time. If they jumped time, you need to find out why. This is an interference engine. If needed, do you have a warranty with the belt installer shop?
0996b43f80208cba.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Allpar. What year? Any fault codes (like P0340 cam sensor)? Does the 'ck eng' light illuminate when you roll the key on?
If it just 'clicks' and the engine doesn't crank over, it sounds like the starter motor circuit? As long as the engine can be manually rotated and is not frozen, I would check for why the starter is inhibited. Does the PCM see the Park/Neutral TRS switch? Battery terminals clean? It should be similar to this:
81055af8.gif
If it does crank/spin over, but does not fire up, I would check belt timing. Line up the marks and make sure that they are in time. If they jumped time, you need to find out why. This is an interference engine. If needed, do you have a warranty with the belt installer shop?
0996b43f80208cba.gif
It's a 2003 and thanks for the welcome. It was showing an engine code related to the catalytic converters but I don't have the actual code nearby. One of the guys who looked at it under the shade tree brought a portable code scanner with him and it showed no codes. Yes it cranks over and the clicking noise seems to be coming from the engine. All terminals are clean etc. Do you think there might be a video on how to line up the marks you mentioned. Ken Towery did the work but they have a mixed bag of reputation. Technically they warranty their work for 12/12

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
Most basic approach is to check the battery, starting and charging system first. Measure battery voltage with key off and with it cranking. Should not drop below about 10.5 volts when cranking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts