Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2004 300M. Over the last couple months I have a somewhat intermittent brake issue. The right front will lock up at medium to slow speeds (under 25 mph) and slippery conditions. And when I say lock I mean it takes 3-4 seconds after taking my foot of the break peddle to get it rolling again. The first time was in a snow storm and I almost slid into an intersection. It locked up when the light turned green I hit the gas and it took a second or two before the car started moving and I could see hear the left front spinning and pushing me slightly around the right front. Then it didn't happen again for a month or so (and we have had a fair amount of snow this year). Two weeks ago it locked up a dozen times in one day all as I was coming up to a stop sign in the snow. It only happens when the ABS activates. I tried it in various parking lots in rain snow and dry. Couldn't get it to happen in the dry or rain, but it happens about 30-40% of the time on snow. Should also note the Traction Control works fine, and the first few storms of the year it didn't do this at all. On another note brake lines were changed back in September and all lines bled. Have about 8,000 miles since then.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
When the brakes were bled, was the ABS pump bled by cycling the pump per the factory service manual? This is a necessary step.
Were the brake hoses changed along with the metal lines? Do any of the calipers get hot?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the brakes were bled, was the ABS pump bled by cycling the pump per the factory service manual? This is a necessary step.
Were the brake hoses changed along with the metal lines? Do any of the calipers get hot?
I did activate the ABS by doing quick stops in a gravel lot then rebleeding afterwards (has worked for me on other mopars Ive had). Rear hoses were changed fronts were not (They had been changed a few years ago). I haven't noticed the calipers heating up.
My first inclinations were a collapsing hose or sticking calipers but the fact it only happens with the ABS has me thinking something else may be up.
And left front caliper was changed with the lines due to a corroded bleeder.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
ABS has to be cycled via software, I'm not sure you can effectively bleed them just by activating the pump while driving, and then bleeding. I now have my first car with ABS and am dreading when I have to bleed them.

·
Super Moderator
21,623 Posts
Any fault codes stored in the ABS module? Our auto parts store has an OBDII/ABS code reader for customer use.
An advanced scan tool could read the wheel speeds at each wheel. It might be helpful to see what the RF reads during ABS activation compared to the other 3.
These can be intermittent issues, you have to catch the issue when it is present.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Change the front hoses, and flush the system until clear new fluid comes out at all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking I might start with hoses and another flush of fluid. If that doesn't work I can try and track down some one with an ABS tool.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
And check the tonewheel, abs performes very strange with a cracked tonewheel.

·
Super Moderator
21,623 Posts
A cracked tone wheel or damaged sensor/wiring could initiate an ABS stop with a 'buzzing' brake pedal. It might store a wheel speed sensor signal fault. See Possible Causes below:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not getting a light on for the ABS but I will check out the sensor and tone wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts