Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 300m with 150,000 miles. Started it up and went on a short errend and everything was fine, parked it on the street at home. 5 minutes later, went to move it into the driveway, and the car will not start. I do not hear any sign of power going to the starter or relay. I do not hear the fuel pump running. The radio will not com on either. But, power windows and seats work fine and interior lights come on with doors. Adding a jump from another car does not help. Any ideas where to look. I have tried swapping a few of the relays under the hood, but that did not change anything.

·
Super Moderator
32,166 Posts
I'd look for a blown fuse underhood in the Power Distribution Center. Usually with bad battery connections the radio will play.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power Distribution Center has power at the main red cable, so it is not a cable connection. I have been checking the fuses, and so far have not found any that are blown, but there are some which do not appear to have power coming to the fuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checking the power distribution center under the hood with the key in the on position, I have no power to any pins on the following: Fuel Pump Relay, Starter Relay, S- 20 Amp INJ/COIL, T- 20 Amp 02 SSR, and V- 10 Amp PCM.
Checking the fuse block in the left side of the dash with the key in on position I have no power to fuses 1- thru 6, 14, 21 & 22. This is no power on both sides of the fuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am following this with interest. I have a new-to-me '04 Intrepid that went stone cold dead the second time I drove it. No power anywhere. I have posted my travails in the the dodge intrepid forum. I think I have narrowed my problem down to a faulty cable somewhere in the starting system, although I'm not sure that would explain everything being completely without power. I hope when you resolve your issue it may be helpful in fixing mine. Good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just figured out that the underhood fuse G- 40AMP IGN RUN/ST is blown. Swapped fuses to test, and had power to key, but it popped the fuse as soon as I touched the starter. Any ideas where I should be looking to track this down?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went and bought new fuses. The new 40 amp fuse is holding in socket G (IGN RUN/ST), and the car starts, but now I have a P1687 error code (No Mechanical Instrument Cluster Bus Message) and the ABS light Trac Off light are both illuminated as well as the engine icon. Feals like I am moving forward, but don't know where to go from here.

·
Super Moderator
32,166 Posts
One of the downstream circuits that that 40 amp fuse feeds must have a fault. If you can find out what devices and functions are fed by it, and disable them one at a time, and the 40A fuse holds, that's probably the circuit with the trouble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can put a little 20 amp fuse in place of the 40 and turn the key to the all the way to run position, and it is OK as long as I don't hit the starter. If I just hit the starter, then the fuse blows even if it is a 40. So the problem appears to be in the starter circuit. I am thinking about just replacing the starter. Is there anything else anyone can think of that would cause the fuse to blow as soon as I hit the starter? I have not been working on anything near the starter, so I doubt that I pinched the wire to it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the problem was the starter/starter solenoid. I replaced it and the fuse and all apears well now. What a pain to replace though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts