Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning, ok I think its time for me to start a new thread on this from my origanal cyl head question thread earlier, here is where my son and I are at with this project, 318/727 are out of the 80 1/2 ton two wheel drive, 360, a833, bell housing, and flywheel are in peices on the ground, turns out the 360 crank is drilled to accept a pilot bushing and we have one ready to go in, no problem there, research tells us that the 318 crank is internally ballanced and the 360 is not therefore requireing the 360 to have a special flywheel requiring it to be ballanced which I beleive is done by drilling holes or adding weights to it, we have three flywheels currently, one is the unballanced 318 one,(actually it came oyt of a 273 commando 69 cuda), this one measures roughly 13" across although I think the actual correct measurment is 12 7/8", not totally sure?, the other two are 14" diameter and seem to be externally ballanced one has three holes drilled on the outer perimiter facing the engine, two together and one further away and the other has only one drilled, I also beleive the tooth count is different the 14" is 143 ( i counted) and the 13" I beleive is 130, not confirmed yet, it seems most if not all 360's in trucks came with the " rock crusher" tranny while many 318's came with the a833 in the 81 and up vintage also this same set up was used in cars, so we havnt had a chance to put the puzzel together yet but I think we need some guidence here, I would think that surely back in the 70's some where there must have been some 360 darts or challengers that were factory and I think that would be the flywheel that we would need, but was it the 13" or 14"?, how many teeth, any ideas or thoughts here before we move forward with our "360 shifty" would be appreciated

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok we spent some time in the garage today and most of this seems to make sence now, although the larger flywheel (143 tooth) bolts up ok only the bell housing suitable for the "rock crusher" tranny will fit over it and bolt up, of course this has the incorrect bolt pattern for the a833, the a833 bell housing will not fit over the larger flywheel, so we need to use the smaller (130 tooth) flywheel but it must be externally ballanced, now Mopar Performance makes one that is for the 10.5" clutch (130 tooth) and specificly for the early la 360 cu in but it is pricey, I also found a ballancer sold through "KMJ" part number qt1 rm-531 there only about 20 bucks and apparently go in front of the flywheel using the same bolts that hold it on, it is specificly made for Mopar 360's, has anyone ever used one?, Dana44, I just read back in my earlier thread under cly heads that this must be ballanced to the crank, pistons, etc, dose that mean the flywheel that leaves the factory with the motor is the only one that can be used all its life untill you go through what seems like an expensive procedure?, We were not planning on taking the engine apart, its ready to go, maybe I misunderstood?

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Flywheel is not balanced to a specific engine, fits all 360s.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES!! thats what I was hoping to here, I am going to look into this ballance weight from KMJ a bit more, if it works then we can use the 318 flywheel we have, even if not the Mopar Performance one is still an option, thanks for the info

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just an update... I have ordered the ballance weight listed above, should take about a week or so, I will report back to let you know how it worked

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I already noted the flywheel for the 318, 340, 360, 5.2 and 5.9 lists as the same flywheel, which does save you a bit of money that way.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it will fit but although the 318/340 is the exact same as they are neutral balance and the the 360 is external, the factory one has the holes drilled one side to ballance or because we have a 318 one to use we will just use the ballance plate, hopefully it works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts