Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall. I've posted before about my old 88 w100. Am doing an engine rebuild. Want a little more power. So far got an edelbrock performer intake, msd rtr distributor. Heads will be port matched to the new intake and resurfaced. Should have 302 heads on it. Want to put a more mild cam in it. Any recommendations? Can a mild cam go in it without changing a bunch of stuff in the valvetrain? Truck will not be used for racing, will do some towing. And want some power on tap at highway speeds. Right now when i get to 60mph, there is not much power to pass someone. It'll get to 80mph but not fast. Reason I am doing a rebuild is because there's leaking valve stem seals and guides so figured if I tear it down that far, might as well do the whole thing. Has 180k miles. And before anyone asks, yes it is tbi. Love the tbi, but no one has anything to upgrade with tbi.

Looking forward to responses.
-billy

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think if you keep a cam like the one that came with the engine, do the top end like you are. Better exhaust, better breathing and better spark you'll get what you need. The "RV" or truck type cam should have good low end torque and the rest will compliment the engine. What are the tranny gears like? that might be something to look into too! You should see better fuel mileage too.

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
From your description, I think you want something similar to what used to be called an RV cam.
I assume since it's a 1988 318 that it's a roller cam engine. Sorry I can't make any specific recommendations.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Premium Member
20,162 Posts
I can agree with the RV specs type cam. A little more lift over stock and a little more exhaust duration will give you the power to tow and a little more pep without messing with the TBI and computer. Since you are port matching, be sure to round the sharp edges in the combustion chamber itself. Sharp edges shroud the valves, flame travel, and opening these sharp edge spots improve combustion inside the cylinder. Draw a line of the head gasket ring around each cylinder and just stay inside the line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From your description, I think you want something similar to what used to be called an RV cam.
I assume since it's a 1988 318 that it's a roller cam engine. Sorry I can't make any specific recommendations.
Yes it's a roller cam. What's an rv cam? Not worried about tbi, that's going away. Can't be used with edelbrock intake I don't think.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yes it's a roller cam. What's an rv cam? Not worried about tbi, that's going away. Can't be used with edelbrock intake I don't think.
@valiant67 said .. "similar to what used to called a RV cam" So back in the day when we scrolled through hot rod books looking at upgrades, one thing that hot rodders did was take a truck motor and give it new life for there project car the cheep way or if you plan on towing more but these cams are not called that anymore. @dana44 said .. "a little more of lift and duration" is basically a RV cam.
Same way there is a big differance between the 6.4 in a car and the 6.4 in a truck, the torque curve is completely different. From what you described of what you want out of your engine this is the way to go. So when you pick a place to buy a cam use this info to help get the right cam. Edelbrock can help you with that.

·
Premium Member
20,162 Posts
An RV cam is basically one step above stock, with a small increase in lift and a little more duration to have the valves open a small amount longer than stock to help it breathe a little better, mostly on the exhaust side to clear the cylinder, both help increase the upper RPM without sacrificing bottom end torque. Spec wise it is an increase of around .040 or thereabouts lift and 10-15 degrees increase in duration. They are a good replacement for a stock cam and add about 10percent increase in power, along with another 10percent for your porting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An RV cam is basically one step above stock, with a small increase in lift and a little more duration to have the valves open a small amount longer than stock to help it breathe a little better, mostly on the exhaust side to clear the cylinder, both help increase the upper RPM without sacrificing bottom end torque. Spec wise it is an increase of around .040 or thereabouts lift and 10-15 degrees increase in duration. They are a good replacement for a stock cam and add about 10percent increase in power, along with another 10percent for your porting.
So where would one find one of these? Can the stock rocker arms, pushrods and valve springs be used with it? Edelbrock only has flat tappet. Same for northern auto. Couldn't find much on jegs, summit only had stuff for racing.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
So where would one find one of these? Can the stock rocker arms, pushrods and valve springs be used with it? Edelbrock only has flat tappet. Same for northern auto. Couldn't find much on jegs, summit only had stuff for racing.
Look at Rock Auto.

·
Premium Member
20,162 Posts
Crane used to carry them, and it is able to handle all the stock valvetrain components.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts