Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my son and I finnally got started on some mods we are doing to his shortbox stepside,(some engine mods and cleaning/painting, plus a727 to a833 trans swap)any way this summer a frost plug started to leak through and we replaced it but thought well the engine was out it would be a wise idea to change the rest of the ones on the block so has anyone got a easy way of pulling them out, we tried drilling a small hole then using a dent puller slide hammer but the screw just pulls through, the hammer/punch or screw driver method is what we used in the summer but its pretty crude, aside from them being a little thin in the material from age they are stuck in there pretty good, thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need to drive one side in so the other side comes out far enough to grab with pliers. Pulling doesn't work because the domed shape expands when the force moves away from the engine.
Use a blunt tool to force the plug rather than pierce the metal.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Heh. I was going to snarkily suggest filling the block with pure water and leaving it in freezing conditions for a few days...

Don't do that though... *grin*

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
funny guy, ironicly that dosnt really work, I'm in the marine business, you would be supprised that often the block will crack before the plugs let go, I see it all the time from lack of winterizeing! I think I'll just use the punch :excited:

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's easier on the inside, the goal is to get the opposite side to come outward. When installing the new ones, tap in the center while making sure it goes in evenly.

FWIW, not to sound like a know it all, but there is no such thing as a frost plug or a freeze plug designed to save your block from cracking. They are core plugs put there to empty the block of casting sand.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Use brass plugs for replacements.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks, that went pretty easy, and yes I did use brass frost plugs, I have a new unrelated question so I will start a new thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts