Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering in what car / truck would a 318 ( 4104230 block casting ) with a Thermoquad and a A727 behind it, would be installed ?

Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
Generally the 318 only had a Thermoquad 4 bbl in two instances:
1) Police cars where a 727 would be common.
2) California and high altitude emissions packages, but a 727 would be uncommon in this use case.
A third possibility might be s truck/van installation, but I don’t know what combos those would use.

Is there a date code on the engine block?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
There was a year or two in the early 80s where a 318 4bbl was the optional engine in Ramchargers and other trucks. By 84 the 360 was available again as we bought a new Ramcharger with that engine. Someone with more plant knowledge can comment here, but 360s were sourced from Windsor then it closed. After that they were sourced from Mexico. I'm not sure if they were built at Mound road engine plant.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
If it’s a Thermoquad on a 318, the range is only 1978 to 1984. Before 1978, they were all 2 bbls then in 1985 they switched to the Rochester Quadrajet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting facts. Will try to get the year these days, if i get close to the engine block.

Thank you for the info

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I managed to talk with my friend where i have the block and the date it's stamped as 78 82. Also this is a block without a VIN stamped on it. Could be a warranty or replacement of some sort...Interesting.

·
Valued Member
2,290 Posts
If it’s a Thermoquad on a 318, the range is only 1978 to 1984. Before 1978, they were all 2 bbls then in 1985 they switched to the Rochester Quadrajet.
Right, the Magnums and Miradas were available with the 318/4bbl along with the California police cars................

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
I managed to talk with my friend where i have the block and the date it's stamped as 78 82. Also this is a block without a VIN stamped on it. Could be a warranty or replacement of some sort...Interesting.
Truck blocks did not have VINs stamped on them in the 70's, though the cars did.
I'm not sure when the truck blocks got the VIN stampings.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
There was a year or two in the early 80s where a 318 4bbl was the optional engine in Ramchargers and other trucks. By 84 the 360 was available again as we bought a new Ramcharger with that engine. Someone with more plant knowledge can comment here, but 360s were sourced from Windsor then it closed. After that they were sourced from Mexico. I'm not sure if they were built at Mound road engine plant.
The 360 disappeared from cars after 1980, but trucks, vans, and Ramchargers always had a 360 available (in at least one trim level). All were Mound Road. The 3G Hemi began production in Saltillo.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
Correct. Pre - 1978:. Carter BBD.

'78 - '84:. BBD or TQ optional (or STD, depends on emissions schedule)

'85 - '87: Holley 2280/6280 2 bbl, or Rochester 17085411/5433 (police), or 17085408/5411 (truck-van-ramchr).
The QJet lived a little longer in the squads and HD 360 pickups/vans/ramchr, through 1989.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, it must be from a truck of some sort :).

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The 360 disappeared from cars after 1980, but trucks, vans, and Ramchargers always had a 360 available (in at least one trim level). All were Mound Road. The 3G Hemi began production in Saltillo.
In 1982 the 360 was not available in Ramchargers. The 318 2bbl was standard on 4wd models with 4bbl optional. All the 360s we had in the 80s and 90s were sourced from Mexico.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
592 Posts
In 1982 the 360 was not available in Ramchargers. The 318 2bbl was standard on 4wd models with 4bbl optional. All the 360s we had in the 80s and 90s were sourced from Mexico.
The 360 was definitely available in '82 Ramchargers, at least in fleet vehicles.

I could find nothing that verifies that 360 production moved to Mexico, however - with the low number of sales of vehicles with the 360 in the early to mid 80's, and Iaccoca's penchant for "cutting" vs "investing", that seems entirely plausible.

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
If you do a search on the number, one site says the 4104230 is a race engine, another site says the number is 76-84 with the crossbrace at nine inches from the rear, and 80-84 the cross brace from the rear is 10 inches. Says nothing about 4bbl, no idea what it may have been in, but 318s were never performance, they were bread and butter work engines, which is kind of a shame, durable as hell. I would agree, police or ambulance truck as the most likely application, unless someone did a swap earlier in life.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The 360 was definitely available in '82 Ramchargers, at least in fleet vehicles.

I could find nothing that verifies that 360 production moved to Mexico, however - with the low number of sales of vehicles with the 360 in the early to mid 80's, and Iaccoca's penchant for "cutting" vs "investing", that seems entirely plausible.
We had a 79 New Yorker and a 79 Magnum. One was new the other was a year old. Both of those engines we're from Windsor. I had a friend who worked for Chrysler at the time and he told me that the reason the 360 was dropped in cars after 80 was because Windsor engine closed around that time. I have never been able to confirm Mound Road engine ever made 360s. Not saying they didn't, just have never confirmed it.

·
Valued Member
2,290 Posts
We had a 79 New Yorker and a 79 Magnum. One was new the other was a year old. Both of those engines we're from Windsor. I had a friend who worked for Chrysler at the time and he told me that the reason the 360 was dropped in cars after 80 was because Windsor engine closed around that time. I have never been able to confirm Mound Road engine ever made 360s. Not saying they didn't, just have never confirmed it.
The 360 was made in Windsor and Toluca..............

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
The 360 could not meet emissions for the cars. That's why the 360 disappeared from cars in California (even police cars) a year earlier than the rest of the US. 1979 was the last year for the 360 in a California emission car, 1980 was the last for the rest of the US. It didn't really matter where the engine was produced, it didn't meet emissions and they weren't spending the money to do so given the tightening MPG rules coming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts