Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great day to all.I am new to site and new to gas mopar engines I built a jeep and put a 360 in it. The motor came out of 85 dodge d350 dually with granny 4 speed. My problem is i thought orignal distributor was bad because there was slop and weights fell apart when i took cap off but it ran really good. so I bought a new one just stock reman from a parts store because it was day before event. ever since then it runs like crap no power if i retard it 10 degrees it runs but down on power. when i put the distibutor in the slot the rotor is still sloppy with new distributor could the gear slot be sloppy. The dis gear to cam gear does not seem to be but could the slot be sloppy? i know chevy engines pretty good and i have never seen one do this is this normal for mopar? can i pull the cam dis gear without pulling the intake? thank you in advance i really apreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There is a bronze bushing in the block to support the camshaft auxillary shaft that drives both the oil pump and distributor. It is a possible wear item. With the distributor out, see if this aux. shaft has play. I believe that both the bushing and shaft can be serviced without pulling the intake. The bushing requires a special tool for installing that 'reams' it into position in order to hold it securely into the block. Find a service manual.
These could also raise problems of a timing mark that won't hold still while setting timing. Does yours?
If all this happened after the new distributor, is it possible that they gave you a wrong distributor? Remans can be known for that, you really don't know what the previous owner did to it or if it was identified wrong. Is there a metal tag on it with a Chrysler part #?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts