Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone my name is jarod and I'm 16. I'm relatively new to the world of Mopars so my question I'm about to ask is probably a dumb one. I'm working on a 1978 dodge lil red express truck with the 4bbl hi po 360 in it. Been trying to get it to start after sitting for years and trouble shot to the fuel pump. Sure enough the arm on the pump is locked up solid. But my question is when I pulled out the fuel pump no pushrod fell out with it. I stuck my finger and a socket extension in there and still can't find one. So my question are these like SBC where the have a fuel pump pushrod or not. Thanks everyone again I know dumb question. P.S side question someone pressed the brake pedal once and it completely locked the front left wheel and won't let go. So I togt apart the brake and had to manually squeeze the Piston back in to release it. Do I need a calliper or a master cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
No pushrod on the Mopar small block. The pump is driven by an eccentric on the cam.

·
Super Moderator
32,047 Posts
And you will need rebuilt calipers, best to do both sides. I would also change the flex hoses and bleed the entire system until the fluid is clear. Replace rear wheel cylinders as well at the time, if they are old.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
JAROD: Welcome aboard. Your project sounds like a fun one. Ask all the questions you want to. This site is great and full of knowelgable folks that are more then glad to help out.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Yep, Valiant67 told you the truth about the fuel pump. In addition to the other sound advice given, you might want to check the bulkhead connector for any corrosion. This can be a problem area too that is often overlooked.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you sure the arm is locked solid? They usually leak at the diaphragm and not lock up. The spring is pretty tough on them especially if it is a HP pump. Also check every rubber fuel hose on the truck. The new gas eats them up especially if its old rubber. A small leak can seem like the pump isn`t working when it just can`t get suction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts